First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As my second winter with a Bronco starts in Colorado, I am reminded of an issue I was hoping Ford would have addressed. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue(not sure how you couldn't) but the tips of my windshield wipers do not defrost. Where the sun sensor sit there is a gap in the defrost vent. This leads to the tip of the drivers windshield not being heated and an accumulation of ice on the last 2-3 inches on the blade. The ice builds under the blade and lifts the blade so only the few inches closest to the mount make contact with the windshield. Does anyone else have experience with this and have any suggestions? I have pre-ordered the Gatekeeper heated windshield wipers. I had reached out to Ford Development with no response last year. I am also running the stock blades and have not used any RainX or repellent on the windshield Thanks!
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would spraying the windshield with some washer fluid not help? Not sure I recall this being a major issue for me during past Winters.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea, the temp managment to keep the tips of the blades clean is a bit more dramatic than you think.

Wiping as slow as needed helps give them more time to thaw, but making sure they free of snow/ice/slush to begin with is important. Once the buildup starts, it’s a cascading effect

Typically the windshield and dash level occupant vents tend to split the overall heat. Idk if the bronco is plumbed/diverted differently but I still tend to follow this method. I’ll either go with full Glass defrost or glass and only the floor vents. Heat rises, and the cabs warm quick.

Going with a higher fan speed generally helps, you can always take off a layer of jackets or crack a window for a minute to maintain cab temperature

Reactions: Fly

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm on my 3rd winter in Alaska, only had this happen 3 times during specific snow events. Also if it's snowing I will leave the wipers on when I shut it off (then turn the switch off) to keep them in the higher parked position, which helps them defrost during remote starting.

This is an issue with a lot of vehicles, worse on upright windshields.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm on my 3rd winter in Alaska, only had this happen 3 times during specific snow events. Also if it's snowing I will leave the wipers on when I shut it off (then turn the switch off) to keep them in the higher parked position, which helps them defrost during remote starting.

This is an issue with a lot of vehicles, worse on upright windshields.
I agree, I have had this problem on all cars in heavy snow. The bronco does seem a little worse.

I usually end up opening the window and try to catch and thump the wiper to bounce off the ice. It typically happens coming down little cottonwood canyon in a storm after skiing, so speed is pretty slow, 10-20 mph.

I was pondering putting some heat tape on the inside of the windshield in the lower left corner. The ice buildup in that corner can also be significant.

Sponsored

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This will be my second winter with my bronco and I haven't had this issue. Only issue I've notice is the snow icing over the headlights. My understanding this affects all vehicles equipped with LED headlights.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I usually end up opening the window and try to catch and thump the wiper to bounce off the ice. It typically happens coming down little cottonwood canyon in a storm after skiing, so speed is pretty slow, 10-20 mph.
The obvious solution is to NEVER LEAVE Little Cottonwood Canyon!!!

A friend had a timeshare at Iron Blosom Lodge for about 20 years...Good Times!!!

Last edited:

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The bronco has the WORST defroster setup of any vehicle I’ve ever had. Constant wiper freezes, ice accumulating on the upper sides of windshield. The defroster outlets sit too high to properly defrost the wipers in either the parked or resting position when they’re on. Ford had many misses with the bronco and unfortunately they don’t seem to care.

Braptor23_CO

Raptor
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Would spraying the windshield with some washer fluid not help? Not sure I recall this being a major issue for me during past Winters.
Washer fluid usually makes it worse at that point

Searchdawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Supercrew Platinum 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As my second winter with a Bronco starts in Colorado, I am reminded of an issue I was hoping Ford would have addressed. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue(not sure how you couldn't) but the tips of my windshield wipers do not defrost. Where the sun sensor sit there is a gap in the defrost vent. This leads to the tip of the drivers windshield not being heated and an accumulation of ice on the last 2-3 inches on the blade. The ice builds under the blade and lifts the blade so only the few inches closest to the mount make contact with the windshield. Does anyone else have experience with this and have any suggestions? I have pre-ordered the Gatekeeper heated windshield wipers. I had reached out to Ford Development with no response last year. I am also running the stock blades and have not used any RainX or repellent on the windshield Thanks!
I plowed snow for over 30 years and would run into this same issue occasionally with my plow trucks. An old timer taught me a simple trick that works. Put your defrost on the high fan setting and lower your sun visors. This helps trap and circulate the warm air around the entire windshield. Give it a try.

Sponsored

Bluovlfan

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Colorado guy here as well and that has been one of my bigger gripes driving the Bronco in the winter. I usually have my defrost only on full blast and still get issues with the ice accumulation. Thought it may have been how vertical the windshield was, but the wife's jk has been through some of the same storms with no issues of build up.

OnlyOnce

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a new Bronco owner, and prior 90s wrangler owner, ice build up will be hard to rectify.

I have had my fair share of winters in the jeep (similar windshield design) blizzard of 94 in the north east.

Due to the almost vertical windshield ice will eventually build up. My recommendation is to buy the de-icer washer fluid, especially the rain x brand. This helps "prevent" build up due to the water repellent and de-icing factors.

Leaving wipers In a vertical position may cause an issue when you turn on the vehicle as they will try and return to the down position, and strip the screw that holds them on.

Done this before and is a pain to fix as the timing gets screwed up. When that happens they start smacking together and you could loose both, Yes lesson learned. (Yes, I was young and did not know any better.)

So what I have done in the winter months since is to make sure I have a gallon of rain x de-icer, or similar brand and fill my reservoir. It does a fair job, (not great but fair) of repelling water the buil up is minimal and when I start the Bronco I can use the de-icing/ scraper to remove what little build up possible.

I am not Not advertising for rain x but it seems to work better than the off brand. I have tried multiple brands and this one work pretty well.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i was having a similar problem yes i changed to up graded blades and i run a small bottle of Alcohol in every filling of washer fluid we will see how it goes this winter

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My old Toyota FJ Cruiser had the same issue. The only fix was to create a small deflector the pushed the defrost air to the lower part of the windshield. I just used some adhesive backed velco to attach it to the dash in winter. This is my first winter in the Bronco so we will see how it goes. I may make one for it.
Sponsored