Sponsored

With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)?

4DRS4MRWHRS

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91' Mustang GT, 14' Mustang GT/CS in GHIG
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With winter coming has anyone swapped their headlight LED's to HID's? With my headlights freezing up due to the lack of heat last winter I'm trying to get a head start to see if anyone makes a HID kit or installed HID's in their signature lights?!
Ford Bronco With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)? 20230303_145527
Ford Bronco With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)? 20230303_145104
Sponsored

Chriswebber

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No car
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With winter coming has anyone swapped their headlight LED's to HID's? With my headlights freezing up due to the lack of heat last winter I'm trying to get a head start to see if anyone makes a HID kit or installed HID's in their signature lights?!
Ford Bronco With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)? 20230303_145104
I could be mistaken but I think Ford sells winter headlight fluid .

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are companies that make headlight heaters for commercial trucks. You could search for a similar application for passenger vehicles.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Winters coming." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now excuse me while I grab a cold one and jump back in the pool.

Ford Bronco With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)? Screenshot_20230826-155928
At 110 you could put tea bags in the pockets of you swim trunks and brew some tea while in the pool.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couldn't you just wipe it off when you stop..and also, Your aren't even your lights on?..

i live in New England and I don't get frozen lights where I cant drive anymore.

OP
OP
4DRS4MRWHRS

4DRS4MRWHRS

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Couldn't you just wipe it off when you stop..and also, Your aren't even your lights on?..

i live in New England and I don't get frozen lights where I cant drive anymore.
These were taken after I got home from work at night parked in my garage. Why would I pull over or get out to wipe them off every 5-10 min?!

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These were taken after I got home from work at night. Why would I pull over or get out to wipe them off every 5-10 min?!
Did it ever get dark enough for the headlight to turn on? Mine don’t do that only reason im Asking

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did it ever get dark enough for the headlight to turn on? Mine don’t do that only reason im Asking
Mine absolutely ice up like that when the conditions are right. It can genuinely be a problem. A lot of snowplows have heated lenses now that manufacturers have swapped to LEDs for this very reason.

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)? Screenshot_20230826-155928
With all the mandated safety features on new automobiles in the last 20 years, I don't get how LEDs are even allowed without them being addressed. Hate the rear camera, hate TPMS, could do with the side curtains............ Working headlights in the winter would be nice.

OP
OP
4DRS4MRWHRS

4DRS4MRWHRS

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes it was they were on the whole time. I'm not the only one with this issue. I guess I'll just order a quality HID kit and make it work. Thanks to the ones who tried to help.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes it was they were on the whole time. I'm not the only one with this issue. I guess I'll just order a quality HID kit and make it work. Thanks to the ones who tried to help.
I highly doubt you’ll find a kit. The headlight area won’t have enough power for a HID solution without pulling it from somewhere else. Plus the headlight switch may not work. Things get tricky real fast with modern automotive wiring.

I wonder about redirecting the air from the back of the radiator to the back of the headlights?

There was someone here who lives up by the Arctic Circle. I wonder how he deals with this.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not sure you realize the difference between LEDs and HIDs. You're not putting HIDs in these housings without doing a full retrofit (you ever open up housings before?), and that's gonna look all sorts of goofy with the semi-circle shape of the reflector bowls.

It sounds like you think there's a bulb in these things, and there isn't.

You're trying to swap a couple of these mounted in there horizontally...

Ford Bronco With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)? 20W-30W-50W-100W-COB-LED-Chips-high-power-DC-30V-36V-Integrated-Source-SMD-For

With these....

Ford Bronco With winter coming.... anyone tried swapping headlight bulbs from LED to HID (for heat to melt ice/snow)? 9types-hid

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs