First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I believe I know the answer, hence the title..

I have a 2.7L and I am wondering if it would be as unsafe as I am thinking to tow a 26ft triton that weighs wrought 2,700lbs plus trailer. I belive the length is the issue. Boat specs here https://www.boatingworld.com/boats/bennington-pontoons/2014-bennington-2550-gbr
I would be towing from Arizona to mountains in Southern California

I have the CURT hitch and no trailer brake controller. But I am sure I could add trailer brake controller if necessary.
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

boat trailer is probably another 1500-2000 lbs, yes?

that's a no from me dawg.

You'd need the brake controller, and stiffer rear springs, and a stronger rear end, and better brakes, and, and, and.....

Power-wise, the bronco can absolutely do it, but all the ancillary systems needed for towing make it ill suited for much beyond a popup camper

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you try it... you would definitely want a trailer with brakes on it. Doesn't have to be electric brakes... surge brakes would be fine. (Most boat trailers have surge brakes anyway, because electronics and water don't typically mix well.)

Personally, I wouldn't even try it without brakes and a 4-door Bronco. And if I was intending on traveling long distances or on the highway with this boat... it would definitely be a bit sketchy. It would be very much a "driving down to the local lake only" sorta thing for me.

Sponsored

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Brakes on the trailer would be a must. Like others mentioned it is probably surge brakes but if you need a brake controller. The curt wireless brake controller worked perfectly for me pulling an RV.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Like others have said, short distances flat ground not an issue but mountains, that's a big no for me and I've stretched the limits plenty of times but like Dirty Harry says "A man got's to know his limits"

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The listed weight for the boat probably doesn’t include the motor so add another few hundred pounds for that, plus add pounds for whatever else (fuel, accessories, etc) are being carried in the boat along with the trailer.

My tandem axle boat trailer for my 22’ boat weighs around 1,500#, the hull is 2,500# then the main engine (400HP Verado), kicker (15HP Mercury) and everything else brings the total weight of my rig to over 6,000# with a tongue weight of 750#. I tow with this my 3/4 ton diesel pickup and wouldn’t even consider towing it with my Bronco.

OP
OP
Clean68

Clean68

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thank you all for the response! It is heard and understood! Looks like I will have to have the boat delivered and dropped into the lake instead of bringing it back.

What can I tow with the bronco? Any boat? Ha!

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you try it... you would definitely want a trailer with brakes on it. Doesn't have to be electric brakes... surge brakes would be fine. (Most boat trailers have surge brakes anyway, because electronics and water don't typically mix well.)

Personally, I wouldn't even try it without brakes and a 4-door Bronco. And if I was intending on traveling long distances or on the highway with this boat... it would definitely be a bit sketchy. It would be very much a "driving down to the local lake only" sorta thing for me.
Agree except for the brakes comments. You can use electric on boat trailers without any issues. I had them on trailers for 20 years and that was in the mid 80s to early 2000's. They give much better control of the trailer.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree except for the brakes comments. You can use electric on boat trailers without any issues. I had them on trailers for 20 years and that was in the mid 80s to early 2000's. They give much better control of the trailer.
Oh really? Interesting. Wonder how common that is.

In my area (southern Connecticut), it's some sort of hydraulic system. Either surge brakes or electric-over-hydraulic... I don't think I've seen any purely electric brake system on a boat trailer... but then again... I'm not usually staring on boat trailers all day long.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I believe I know the answer, hence the title..

I have a 2.7L and I am wondering if it would be as unsafe as I am thinking to tow a 26ft triton that weighs wrought 2,700lbs plus trailer. I belive the length is the issue. Boat specs here https://www.boatingworld.com/boats/bennington-pontoons/2014-bennington-2550-gbr
I would be towing from Arizona to mountains in Southern California

I have the CURT hitch and no trailer brake controller. But I am sure I could add trailer brake controller if necessary.
Many years ago I used to tow a 18 ft V8 powered ski boat behind a 4 cyl Ford Ranger that progably had about 90HP. It was only to a local Lake and I took it slow, had no problems.

sjudas

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you all for the response! It is heard and understood! Looks like I will have to have the boat delivered and dropped into the lake instead of bringing it back.

What can I tow with the bronco? Any boat? Ha!
There ya go.

IMG_6461.jpeg
Sponsored