First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Both being 2-doors v6 autos....would you rather.....

Black Diamond with mid package or Base with only Sasquatch package? my idea of off roading is driving down snow covered roads.

(i have a deposit on the base it's ready to go, the black diamond is still in limbo 15 months after order. MSRP is about the same ~$43k)
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I compared both. I chose BD mid due to the extra features and mgv interior. Heated seats and remote start were important to me. The extra stuff included in sas wasnt worth it to me as most of it will be upgraded with aftermarket anyway.

LazygonInfinity

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4D 2.7L Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
It came down to these two builds for me as well (but the 4-door versions because I have kids). I ended up going with the Base Sasquatch over Black Diamond non-Sasquatch, and I am happy with my decision. For a similar price point, I get a far more capable off-roader and I assumed that it will hold value better than a non-Sasquatch Bronco.

However, the Mid Package was not a factor for me. I considered the non-Sasquatch Black Diamond because I wanted marine grade vinyl seats, a washout floor, and knew it would behave better on-road than the Base Sasquatch. In the end, having a manufacturer's warrantied upgraded suspension, tires, wheels, and lockers was too much value to pass on for the few additional things the Black Diamond offered.

Thingfish

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Area 51 High pkg - no Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do they both have the advanced 4x4 which gives you the 4A mode option? Helps if snowy roads are in its mission. Also you mentioned snowā€¦remote start and heated seats are amazing to have in our Badlands. Hard to give those up in our house. If you have an attached garage probably less of a needed feature. In NE nothing nicer in the dark morning than letting the snow and ice melt before jumping in your toasty seats.

Heated seats also really extend the use of topless/doorless driving for more of the year if you plan to do thatā€¦also nice for a cold snap or just an unexpectedly chilly summer evening caught out after dinner with the roof off etcā€¦

The MGV seats have been really nice this winter, but it remains to be seen how we like them through the summer. Certainly the durability is nice to haveā€¦

I love having the lockers the Sas would give you, but if you really donā€™t expect to take it offroad (and the standard 4X4 is very good anyway) than the Sas is more of an appearance pkg for you and it does look cool, but the BD pkg being 32ā€ is pretty good looking too and you can always go bigger later. Our BL is non-Sas and the 33ā€ tires look really good in person to me. I was worried because in pictures the Sas looks night and day better, but in person the BL and BD definitely look good too. Sitting next to a Sas in a parking lot the BL on 33ā€™s is barely noticeably lower.

Sas is a cool pkg, but not everyone loves the tires for durability. Some feel Ford went light to save MPG vs other 35ā€™s, but they damage and wear easily. One person suggested you might only get 20,000 miles out of them vs 50,000 out of the BD or BL tiresā€¦and 35ā€™s are not cheap to replace/mount/balance. Iā€™m not an expert, just sharing what Iā€™d be weighing.

For me BD with mid pkg probably wins for usefulness and seasonal versatility.

Sas is a little bit ā€œcoolerā€, but the BD can get there later if you want it.

Lockers? Not a factor for you maybe.

Resale? After all of this Iā€™d want to drive the Bronco I want to drive the most rather than the one the NEXT guy might want more.

Last thought is honestly these Broncos are so fun to drive you are probably going to love either one so at the end of the day whichever one tickles you most is the one you should get. For a lot of folks the Sas just puts a big smile on their face and that matters.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Were you able to cancel the BD order and use the $2500 rebate towards the Base-Squatch? Or able to apply any price protection rebates associated with the BD order?

Sponsored

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve got the BD mid and at times wish I had a little more ground clearance that the SAS would have provided. But thatā€™s an easy aftermarket modification that I plan on doing. The steel bash plates have saved me quite a few times. And honestly the times Iā€™ve needed more ground clearance have more to do with driver error šŸ˜¬

But can I survive the cold without seat warmers? Now that Iā€™ve had them Iā€™ll never go without. And the MGV seats? Clutch.

I donā€™t want those cloth seats holding onto a fart for the next five years. So go black diamond, if for no other reason than keeping your a$$ warm and not smelling like a constant reminder of everything youā€™ve ever eaten in there.

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do they both have the advanced 4x4 which gives you the 4A mode option? Helps if snowy roads are in its mission. Also you mentioned snowā€¦remote start and heated seats are amazing to have in our Badlands. Hard to give those up in our house. If you have an attached garage probably less of a needed feature. In NE nothing nicer in the dark morning than letting the snow and ice melt before jumping in your toasty seats.

Heated seats also really extend the use of topless/doorless driving for more of the year if you plan to do thatā€¦also nice for a cold snap or just an unexpectedly chilly summer evening caught out after dinner with the roof off etcā€¦

The MGV seats have been really nice this winter, but it remains to be seen how we like them through the summer. Certainly the durability is nice to haveā€¦

I love having the lockers the Sas would give you, but if you really donā€™t expect to take it offroad (and the standard 4X4 is very good anyway) than the Sas is more of an appearance pkg for you and it does look cool, but the BD pkg being 32ā€ is pretty good looking too and you can always go bigger later. Our BL is non-Sas and the 33ā€ tires look really good in person to me. I was worried because in pictures the Sas looks night and day better, but in person the BL and BD definitely look good too. Sitting next to a Sas in a parking lot the BL on 33ā€™s is barely noticeably lower.

Sas is a cool pkg, but not everyone loves the tires for durability. Some feel Ford went light to save MPG vs other 35ā€™s, but they damage and wear easily. One person suggested you might only get 20,000 miles out of them vs 50,000 out of the BD or BL tiresā€¦and 35ā€™s are not cheap to replace/mount/balance. Iā€™m not an expert, just sharing what Iā€™d be weighing.

For me BD with mid pkg probably wins for usefulness and seasonal versatility.

Sas is a little bit ā€œcoolerā€, but the BD can get there later if you want it.

Lockers? Not a factor for you maybe.

Resale? After all of this Iā€™d want to drive the Bronco I want to drive the most rather than the one the NEXT guy might want more.

Last thought is honestly these Broncos are so fun to drive you are probably going to love either one so at the end of the day whichever one tickles you most is the one you should get. For a lot of folks the Sas just puts a big smile on their face and that matters.
great points you made. For a daily that wont go off road much cool looks aside. I would rather go BD with 4auto, mid pkg, ht and either engine option. Smaller tires would be better on road logically and it does come with the metal bumpers and bash plates. If ya wanted to off road do some 33's on the stock tires and you should have enough clearance for some easy off road but already of the steel bash protection that the BASE SAS wont have oddly. Granted heated seats can be added aftermarket, you miss out on some of the ford safety tech also. If I was putting little kids in the car safety would be the most important thing for me so I would need the mid pkg. If its a spare car or no kids then sas base all day cause it looks cool and most likely would have a better resale value.

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I chose BD for the rock sliders, water proof seats, and steelies... with plans to order SAS later (at the time you couldn't order SAS with 7mt). Then I decided not to modify my order because I didn't want to possibly delay production.

Now I'm planning on 35s with no lift because I don't really want to go any higher up than what the additional tire size is going to give me.

I'm not going to tell you what to do but I am very happy I went with BD over base.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When we ordered our ā€˜21 BD, Cyber Orange wasnā€™t available on Base or even BB, so the BD was a no brainer. When they announced CO on Base models in ā€˜22 we were a little bummed, because a Base Sasquatch would have been priced nearly identical to our BD midā€¦

However, looking back, we are totally fine with our choice. We put 34ā€ tires on (285/75-17), and now our ride height is virtually the same as a stock BL. We could always add some coilovers for extra ground clearance if we need to. We have the full skid plates and the rear locker. The heated MGV seats are nice, as is the remote-start key fob.

The only thing we donā€™t have is the front locker, and frankly I donā€™t think weā€™re going to go anywhere where weā€™d need one. The rear locker gets you 95% of the way there. We didnā€™t opt for 4A because we never drive in snow, but itā€™s a stand-alone option, so you could add that if you need it.

So yeah, some nice creature comforts and plenty of capability vs. ultimate rock-crawling abilityā€¦? Weā€™re happy with the BD Mid.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Having a Bronco is half the battle. Buy now, leave #2 in order status. Touch #2 when it gets here and figure out which one you like. I ended up with Big Bend Squatch NOW versus my standard BD wheneverthehell it gets here. I'm happy every day. I'm gonna have to buy skids and eventually better tires, but Having a Bronco is half the battle.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a BD as my initial reservation. I changed it to Basesquatch for the final order. I love the Basesquatch and made the right decision. I wanted the larger tires, proper gearing for the 35" tires, slight life and Bilstein suspension. Cloth seats too. I just don't like the advanced 4WD where everything spins all the time. Did not know it was going to come that way.

OP
OP

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
thanks all, great points.

The BD i have on order does not have the advanced transfer case. I don't qualify for the $2500 back as I have none of the constraints they want removed.

I'm going to finalize the deal and get the base SAS today, the only thing I feel I'd miss are the heated seats really, base will still allow me to remote start just with the app just not the key fob which is super strange to me but whatever. the advanced transfer case and SAS wheels/tires make up the difference to me I think. The thing that really bothers me is the plastic steering wheel but if I can find the part number for the leather one that should be an easy fix. The fact i can have the base SAS now is also playing into this decision as I have no word when the BD i have ordered is going to be built.

I also love this badge:

Ford Bronco Would you rather Black Diamond (mid) vs Base with Sasquatch 1675784914436

Bonz50

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 F150 S-Crew
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was debating this myself, I think I'll be going BD Mid as well. tho I'll go with 4dr and probably I-4 engine

Thingfish

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Area 51 High pkg - no Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thanks all, great points.

The BD i have on order does not have the advanced transfer case. I don't qualify for the $2500 back as I have none of the constraints they want removed.

I'm going to finalize the deal and get the base SAS today, the only thing I feel I'd miss are the heated seats really, base will still allow me to remote start just with the app just not the key fob which is super strange to me but whatever. the advanced transfer case and SAS wheels/tires make up the difference to me I think. The thing that really bothers me is the plastic steering wheel but if I can find the part number for the leather one that should be an easy fix. The fact i can have the base SAS now is also playing into this decision as I have no word when the BD i have ordered is going to be built.

I also love this badge:

Ford Bronco Would you rather Black Diamond (mid) vs Base with Sasquatch 1675784914436
Sounds good, and as one person pointed out - the Bronco you have now is the best Bronco. You will be loving it. Anything you wind up missing can be addressed later. Once you are driving it youā€™ll have to think pretty hard to remember what you were ā€œmissingā€. Congrats and prepare for all the fun!

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I screwed the pooch and did not check the 4A box when ordering as I was converting from a Big Bend to a BD. The 4A was not an option on the BB. But I have yet to need it and live in the south so likely never will be in a situation that will require long fast 4wd use.
Sponsored