First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You are mad, mad I say. The black steelies are the best. Folks are hawking a set of BD Take-offs on CL and FB for $1000-1200. The alloys from a BB or OBX can barely get $500.

As soon as I wear out the minivan tires on my Base, I'll buy the first set of BD take offs I can get under $1000.
That's because the OBX rims look the most lame. It was the one thing that I absolutely didn't like about the OBX. Some of the other things I didn't care either way about, but the rims... ugh.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigDaddySquatch

BigDaddySquatch

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You are mad, mad I say. The black steelies are the best. Folks are hawking a set of BD Take-offs on CL and FB for $1000-1200. The alloys from a BB or OBX can barely get $500.

As soon as I wear out the minivan tires on my Base, I'll buy the first set of BD take offs I can get under $1000.
As soon as I get my BD I’ll sell you mine

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I currently have an order for a Black Diamond, but I’m questioning it.
What does the Black Diamond Sas have that the Base Sas doesn’t. Help me justify $7-8k difference.
Going back to the original post and theme, I guess that the question I have is what motivated you to order the Black Diamond edition in the first place and why are you questioning it (other than just the price)?

Ford has been shrewd here, with the intention of motivating people to buy higher trim levels.

Some examples:

No tow package on the base and no mid-package on the base.
No washout floor on the base available.
No manual transmission with mid-package, except Badlands.
Fewer safety features without mid package or higher (like blind spot information).
No High or Lux below Outer Banks.
No Adaptive Cruise Control without Lux.

I would have purchased a Base Bronco if I could have had adaptive cruise control in it. I wanted a 2 door cloth interior 2.7 manual with adaptive cruise and a rear locker.

The 35's weren't really my thing but was willing to consider it (automotive equivalent of clown shoes). That's what forced me into the Outer Banks...

I really didn't want to spend nearly 50k, but in order to get most of what I wanted, that was the price. I don't regret getting the vehicle the way I configured it with one exception... I should have ordered the aux switches!

OP
OP
BigDaddySquatch

BigDaddySquatch

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Going back to the original post and theme, I guess that the question I have is what motivated you to order the Black Diamond edition in the first place and why are you questioning it (other than just the price)?

Ford has been shrewd here, with the intention of motivating people to buy higher trim levels.

Some examples:

Fewer safety features without mid package or higher (like blind spot information).

I would have purchased a Base Bronco if I could have had adaptive cruise control in it. I wanted a 2 door cloth interior 2.7 manual with adaptive cruise and a rear locker.

The 35's weren't really my thing but was willing to consider it (automotive equivalent of clown shoes). That's what forced me into the Outer Banks...

I really didn't want to spend nearly 50k, but in order to get most of what I wanted, that was the price. I don't regret getting the vehicle the way I configured it with one exception... I should have ordered the aux switches!
Originally, what pushed me over the edge to order a BD is the thing I am questioning most now. The MGV seats. 1. I keep seeing everyone talk about how hot they are (I live in Alabama). 2. I didn't realize until recently that the back of the seats is cloth, which I feel may be/look a little cheap.

The other thing that pushed me towards the BD was the ability to get the 4.46 gears in order to add bigger tires (I like the clown shoes) without having to spring for the SAS package. Not a huge fan of the SAS wheels and have heard horror stories about the tires slinging rocks.

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was all for 2 Dr Basemansquatch from the very beginning, but I sat in the cloth seats and didn’t like them and knew I would probably have to Katskinz them for around $2k, so was about $5k more to go up to the Black Diamond Sas and get MG, washout floors etc, so I did And while I’ve been waiting, my dealer had an almost exact build Badlands cancelled order come in and I took that.

Base Sasquatch is the best bang for buck

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is how it all kind of breaks down to me as far as value for the money goes:

1) Actually going to offroad it and don't care about extra creature comforts: Basesquatch

2) Not going to offroad that much and want a manual/4 door/tow option/rear locker option - Big Bend

3) Not going to offroad it that much and want extra creature comforts - Outer Banks

4) Going to offroad it AND want creature comforts - Standard Badlands

To me the Black Diamond doesn't really make sense with SAS because why wouldn't you just get the standard Badlands which is going to be pretty much just as capable for about the same price, or get the base squatch which is gonna save considerable coin?
good point. personally I was down to three: basesq, bl or bd non-sas.

base is the best deal but i rarely get nuts and wanted mid.

was on the fence for bl, but ultimately decided the 7k+ I would save I could do some fun projects. if i could do it again i'm not sure, honestly.

went bd, and the best value for that is non-sas. absolutely love it and have fun working on it.

but agree, its bd non-sas and do a few things, basesquach, or badlands non-sas. base or obx if light trail riding.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Originally, what pushed me over the edge to order a BD is the thing I am questioning most now. The MGV seats. 1. I keep seeing everyone talk about how hot they are (I live in Alabama). 2. I didn't realize until recently that the back of the seats is cloth, which I feel may be/look a little cheap.

The other thing that pushed me towards the BD was the ability to get the 4.46 gears in order to add bigger tires (I like the clown shoes) without having to spring for the SAS package. Not a huge fan of the SAS wheels and have heard horror stories about the tires slinging rocks.
If it's about the seats don't forget there are a few options for custom seat covers/reskins that would fix that. And the carpet is only on the back of the back seats, so may or may not be seen often. I have the rubberized backing from Mabbett on the way to address that.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Some examples:

Ok ... long story ...

Originally I was a BD because of the standard grille and lights, I couldn't order mid and manual so I went 2.7 and auto along with the mid pkg and then added the SAS package mainly for the looks but also wanted the Bilsteins. I also added in the black mod top (yes, it was that long ago) as a place holder for the pending white mod top and that's where my order sat 99d until this last MY update cycle.

What I didn't like was that I couldn't have mid/manual without going to a BL and I didn't want a BL because I actually like the standard lights and grille so that was just more money to change things to make it how I wanted. Multiple times I had thoughts to just drop down to a badmansquatch with mod bumper but then I'd lose any ability to get a factory mod top whenever it was reoffered.

So, now it's MY 23 and the HE is finally out, I get my white mod top and mid package and SAS is standard and available with the manual so I've already changed my order over. The MGV and rubber washout floors were never a want for me, I've always preferred cloth and I'll just get some good all-weather mats and call it a day.

As for the cost differences between all these packages, there's not much between a basesquatch and BD, now if you add in all that I had on mine it's a bit more difference which really equated to what the cost of the HE is going to be. Now I am at Granger so I'm under invoice and then we're supposed to get some of our price protection back even though I switched models (per the Ford FAQ) so at the end of the day I really won't be at that bad of an out the door price and well under $50k and I'll get white top, manual, SAS, and mid pkg plus all the other HE bits.

It's going to be really hard to get everything that you want in any package so figure out what your priority thing is and go from there. We've already learned that most of the parts are interchangable or upgradeable anyways. Always ticks me off that people on here have said oh, it's a BB or OBX ... right now the only ones that have anything truly special is the BL with the SBD and then now the Wildtrack with the Hoss 3.0.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok ... long story ...

We've already learned that most of the parts are interchangable or upgradeable anyways. Always ticks me off that people on here have said oh, it's a BB or OBX ... right now the only ones that have anything truly special is the BL with the SBD and then now the Wildtrack with the Hoss 3.0.
True, the only ones that are "special" off the factory floor in 2021 were the FE and the BL.

In 2022, Everglades, BL, and WT w. HOSS 3.0, and Raptor were the only special ones.

2023 has a few more... still, it is possible to configure the BB and OBX in ways that are less special than others. It is a shame that rear lockers weren't standard across the fleet.

OP
OP
BigDaddySquatch

BigDaddySquatch

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

True, the only ones that are "special" off the factory floor in 2021 were the FE and the BL.

In 2022, Everglades, BL, and WT w. HOSS 3.0, and Raptor were the only special ones.

2023 has a few more... still, it is possible to configure the BB and OBX in ways that are less special than others. It is a shame that rear lockers weren't standard across the fleet.
What does "special" mean?

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
To the original question, BD has MID package availability, vinyl seats, wash out floors, tow availability, steel bumpers standard w/skid plate, and if going 4 door underside skid/bash plates (2 doors have the gas tank plate on all trims)

I still go back and forth on what I should have done... I couldn't justify the cost of BD Sasq/BL, Base² really would meet my needs, but looking at a daily driver I wanted the Mid... The cost of BD w/Mid did make it hard not to go with Base Squatch for the samish cost... but again I really don't need all that so I stuck to my first choice from the beginning, BD Mid. But both Base² and BaseSquatch respective values do make me question myself at times.
This.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

If Disco made two different trims (FE/BL) "special", then the BDs with washouts would be "special" also in 21/22/23. Besides Disco the FE really offered nothing.
Sponsored