Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

With everyone complaining about Ford dropping the ball and not being prepared for the pandemic and the ongoing delays with the Bronco it makes me wonder why isn't Jeep taking advantage of this and redesigning the Wrangler?

Ford clearly designed the Bronco based on Jeep owners complaints and would they wish Jeep would fix and make better.

If I were Jeep I'd take advantage of Fords delays and make the Jeep even better!

Some of the things they can at least fix in a simple redesign would be.

1. A better base engine. That 3.6 could be better. More power.

2. Get rid of that stupid B pillar cross bar/sound bar with speakers right down the center. Totally kills the open air experience.

3. Mirror's off the doors.

4. Make 35s available from the factory. Especially on the Gladiator. For God sake. The Mojave and Rubicon should come with 35s.

5. Make lockers available from the factory for other models like the Willys at least. Even if it's just rear.

6. Drop the F-ing price. Jeeps are ridiculously expensive for what you get. Part of the reason I never bought one.

I can name a dozen more things they could do but I won't. If they just do the 6 simple things buy the time the Bronco actually is out in full force they would attract a lot of new buyers and retain Jeep customers looking to switch to the Bronco.

Guaranteed Jeep won't though. They'll just shove a V8 in the dinosaur design they already have and charge you $80k for it and call it better.

For the record I'm not Ford fan boy at all or any brand for that matter and would totally buy a Jeep if they fixed these issues. Part of me hopes they will because they can probably do the redesign and still get them out sooner then the Bronco. Lol.
Are you a Fan of anything? :unsure:
Sponsored

tower9000

Black Diamond
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've actually thought about checking out the 4xe. I really like the idea of never having to gas up during my regular commute. My only experience with a Wrangler was renting a two door in Hawaii back in 2003. I was excited to drive around with the top off.... Until I actually started to drive the damn thing. I've never driven anything that handled that bad. If I do go look at one, it'll have to be a four door

tower9000

Black Diamond
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only people with deep pockets will be buying that $80k V8. The 6 things I came up with weren't that complicated and don't necessarily need an entire redesign to fix. Especially the 35 inch tires and price. And as far as the 4xe electric goes I can't even consider it a full electric because it only goes like 30 miles on the electric engine. If it went at least 200 miles I'd be more impressed. I consider it more of a 4 cycle gas engine with a little electric boost when you need it.
I think the days of cheap v8s are over. Doesn't jeep have to pay Tesla for credits every time they sell one of these? For more power manufacturers are heading the same direction as Ford will smaller displacement coupled with a turbo.

Sponsored

RoadKiller

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk-Wife gets new and I get left over
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I agree competition is GOOD. But until now no has really has had anything compared to wrangler. Jeep has done what every other MFG does. Forced you to move up in model to get what you want. Bronco is offering more cool stuff on Lower models. How about better wheels on base? Wranglers are selling like hot cakes. Try to negotiate on one and you will see. Lower priced models are gone within days. Look on the streets everyone has one. No need to do incentives. Plus right now chip shortages New Jeep 6cyl is a stop and go engine. Not for me. I ordered a BB w/mid as it offered everything I wanted at a better package/price.

BroncoLover

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With everyone complaining about Ford dropping the ball and not being prepared for the pandemic and the ongoing delays with the Bronco it makes me wonder why isn't Jeep taking advantage of this and redesigning the Wrangler?

Ford clearly designed the Bronco based on Jeep owners complaints and would they wish Jeep would fix and make better.

If I were Jeep I'd take advantage of Fords delays and make the Jeep even better!

2. Get rid of that stupid B pillar cross bar/sound bar with speakers right down the center. Totally kills the open air experience.

4. Make 35s available from the factory. Especially on the Gladiator. For God sake. The Mojave and Rubicon should come with 35s.

5. Make lockers available from the factory for other models like the Willys at least. Even if it's just rear.

6. Drop the F-ing price. Jeeps are ridiculously expensive for what you get. Part of the reason I never bought one.

I can name a dozen more things they could do but I won't. If they just do the 6 simple things buy the time the Bronco actually is out in full force they would attract a lot of new buyers and retain Jeep customers looking to switch to the Bronco.

Guaranteed Jeep won't though. They'll just shove a V8 in the dinosaur design they already have and charge you $80k for it and call it better.

For the record I'm not Ford fan boy at all or any brand for that matter and would totally buy a Jeep if they fixed these issues. Part of me hopes they will because they can probably do the redesign and still get them out sooner then the Bronco. Lol.

BroncoLover

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You forgot to mention the death wobble......

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They just had a re-design, it happens every ten years like clock work. So you are looking at 2028. Most people buy the wrangler for the heritage and the ruggedness. Yes, compared to the cross-over SUVs on the market the wrangler has a tired and proven design.

As far as updates the 4xE is nothing short of awesome and on the opposite end the 392 is there. An aftermarket turn-key engine replacement is $15-20K so, yeah they hit that target. Then you have a diesel and the tried and true 3.6 and a turbo charged 2.0. As far as build quality, the interior of the wrangler and Bronco are in the same category of quality.

For the next step, what I think Jeep will do is go with coil overs, I think that is something everyone can get behind. It would not affect the heritage and improve the largest gripe people have with the wrangler, on-road handling.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread is the time and expense required to make changes to any automobile. I had read that the cost to crash test, road test, quality control, EPA emissions and mileage tests etc. can get into the hundreds of millions. Engine changes are very expensive get approved, which is why you don’t see a manufacturer simply drop a different engine into a vehicle and ship it to the lots. It simply ain’t that easy to do.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was chatting with a Jeep dealership a week or so ago, as I was interested in selling my Grand Cherokee.

When I told him I was selling it due to ordering a Bronco (After he gave me a price, of course!) I was expecting him to give me some attitude or start listing off why the Jeep is better. But I was pleasantly surprised - He mentioned his Dad had recently ordered a Bronco and that the Bronco is a good looking vehicle with great features. He also mentioned that it will spark competition between Ford and Jeep.

You’re seeing Jeep come out with the Wrangler 392, I’m sure the Warthog will be next, and between the two you’ll probably see some good advancements in both over the next few years.

I think Jeep’s in a bit of a delicate situation. Jeep doesn’t want to ruin its image; it’s a very historic look (can’t think of any other word to describe it). Mess with it too much, and they’ll end up pissing off long-time fan base. But look what Ford did with the Bronco. As long as it’s done right, I think they can make some good enhancements without a major change that scares people away.

It will be interesting to see the next few years between these too brands.

For those of you who are thinking TL;DR - ”Competition = Good.”

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Redesign takes time, money and parts....parts they may also have problems producing and obtaining. I have seen that it appears Jeep has ramped up it's advertising campaign.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
35s from factory definitely should be a thing, but the V8 honestly fixes the biggest problem the Wrangler has had which has kept me out one for the past 10 years.

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How do you know this for sure? Are you an Insider? I hope they are. I think the Bronco coming along gave Jeep some stiff competition and should give them a swift kick in the ass to improve things. I just haven't seen them improving anything yet. Hopefully they don't take to long. Everything has a window. And the window can slam shut really quick.

The 6 changes I listed are an absolute must. Especially the price. Jeeps are ridiculously expensive. I can get a Basequatch Bronco with 35 inch tires, 2.7 engine with 330hp and 410tq, Auto transmission, front and rear Lockers, Aux switches, and All weather floor mats for $39k. Nothing in Jeeps current line up can compete with that especially with the things that need to be fixed/redesigned.
You are talking about an incredibly niche vehicle build. Jeep or Ford, regardless of their commercials and marketing only care about selling volumes of vehicles for the most profit. They are selling the vehicles they produce and maintaining high profits on them doing so, there is no business case to reduce selling price, in fact strongly expect the opposite in 2022, I expect big jumps in MSRP.

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base

#7 . Find a way to stop having the rust problem on new Jeep’s.
#8 . Figure out way the Jeep will just stop at any time with or without any warning.
if you put some time into the JL forum you can see these are some big problems. I for one found this out the hard way. So for me I’m hoping for better luck with the Bronco.😊
Sponsored

Last edited: