Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is part of the reason why you should take the safety test data with a grain of salt. At the end of the day the standardized tests where they run vehicles into cement blocks at various angles doesn't simulate the real world very well. In collisions the physics matters, and despite the tesla having a top safety rating, a big heavy truck is going to do better the crash between the two vehicles.
Sponsored

Tornado_735

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Silverado, 18 EcoSport 4x4, 09 Aveo, 1995 P38
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IIHS is supposed to release their results this month or next on the Bronco...I'm curious what the ratings are. Looks like it'll be pretty good tbh.

RIP.

RivianNowPlz

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As a Tesla Model S owner, and a Bronco FE owner.. this is sad, but the Tesla likely wasn't at fault. The rate at which accidents happen to Teslas with the Tesla being at fault is such a sliver of a % its not fair. Tesla gets a bad wrap when their safety systems have failed, but truth be told the failed safety systems of the past were due to drivers actively ignoring the system.. e.x. putting weights on the steering wheels so that they don't need to pay attention to the road.

I've never had an issue with autopilot in 5 yrs. This isn't to say accidents can't happen, but my Model S I'll feel more safe in compared to the Bronco 100 times out of 100 times. Period.

Edit: After reviewing another article it was stated that the Tesla did not complete the turn around the bend which then caused the accident. Sounds like the Tesla driver was actively ignoring their system, which is sad, but not the cars fault. If there is any positive(which I say that loosely), it's that the data from the Tesla will tell us the full story.

Tornado_735

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Silverado, 18 EcoSport 4x4, 09 Aveo, 1995 P38
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There looks like there was zero deformation of the A-Pillar at the roof...that's incredible.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I completely agree that electric cars are the future, however not battery powered electric. Having worked in the automotive industry for a few years up until recently for a technology company, electric is the future but powered by hydrogen. Not only are hydrogen fuel cells ridiculously safe (far safer than a metal gas tank, can withstand a drop from a mile high or getting shot by .45 cal rifles) but then electricity is generated on demand which doesn't put an overbearing load on the electric grid, doesn't have any pollution other than water from the tailpipe, and no need to dispose/recycle batteries or mines to get the lithium and other resources batteries need.

The Canadian and US governments are working to deploy as many hydrogen fueling stations across the map and once enough have been setup, Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda have agreed to release their full fleets of hydrogen powered vehicles to north America.

This will prevent an overload on our electric grids, offset the pollution from inside the cities to the power plants wherever they are located which can of course be coal, nuclear, or if so lucky - hydro, wind, or solar electric to generate the hydrogen. It's taking much longer than anticipated to roll out this tech but if you look at California there are already more than 200 hydrogen fuel stations and a lot of Honda Clarities, Toyota Mirais, and some Hyundai Nexos. Electric is coming but batteries are just not sustainable.
Hydrogen as a fuel, has some serious problems of its own. It has great appeal to the ignorant, brainwashed environmentalist types, but I cannot ever see it achieving any broad practicality.

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

engaged it to catch up on emails? that aint how it works you engage any auto driving you still have to pay attention driver is responsible and in control of vehicle at all times that doesn't change
Therein lies the biggest problem that I see with any sort of semi-autonomous vehicle feature.

We are a very long way from the point where a vehicle can safely drive itself, with no need for a human driver to be paying attention.

The net effect of these features is to encourage drivers to depend on them, and to pay much less attention than they really need to be paying.

This will unavoidably lead to more accidents, with more people being injured or killed.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He's a moron.

Morons drive all sorts of cars.

You can't blame Tesla because a guy was emailing instead of paying attention.
You can blame Tesla for giving that moron a car that he can easily think he can leave to drive itself, without him paying attention.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think Tesla should call it auto-crash. The sad part is people are perfectly willing to pay Tesla to be Guinea pigs since they compile data from drivers and base system adjustments on that. No thank you Elon.
You have clearly never used a Tesla then. The problem with cars like the bronco that will kill people are going to most likely be related to the higher bumper for impact.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have clearly never used a Tesla then. The problem with cars like the bronco that will kill people are going to most likely be related to the higher bumper for impact.
I don’t “use” cars I “drive” them. As for your bumper comment it’s going to be mass difference more than bumper height and in this case the Tesla steering head on into bronco killed the driver. Basic physics here

Sponsored

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don’t “use” cars I “drive” them. As for your bumper comment it’s going to be mass difference more than bumper height and in this case the Tesla steering head on into bronco killed the driver. Basic physics here
I don't think you understand how autopilot works with turning either. It will not turn for you.

And bumper height is a major factor in which car takes the most damage due to crumple zones and impact variables. Both cars most likely weight roughly the same. Without knowing more details it's hard to say what happened.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As a Tesla Model S owner, and a Bronco FE owner.. this is sad, but the Tesla likely wasn't at fault. The rate at which accidents happen to Teslas with the Tesla being at fault is such a sliver of a % its not fair. Tesla gets a bad wrap when their safety systems have failed, but truth be told the failed safety systems of the past were due to drivers actively ignoring the system.. e.x. putting weights on the steering wheels so that they don't need to pay attention to the road.

I've never had an issue with autopilot in 5 yrs. This isn't to say accidents can't happen, but my Model S I'll feel more safe in compared to the Bronco 100 times out of 100 times. Period.

Edit: After reviewing another article it was stated that the Tesla did not complete the turn around the bend which then caused the accident. Sounds like the Tesla driver was actively ignoring their system, which is sad, but not the cars fault. If there is any positive(which I say that loosely), it's that the data from the Tesla will tell us the full story.
I don't think you understand how autopilot works with turning either. It will not turn for you.

And bumper height is a major factor in which car takes the most damage due to crumple zones and impact variables. Both cars most likely weight roughly the same. Without knowing more details it's hard to say what happened.
You realize all cars have black boxes. It’s not something special to Tesla and your comment about feeling safer in the Tesla, why bother to own a bronco if it’s such a death trap?

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You realize all cars have black boxes. It’s not something special to Tesla and your comment about feeling safer in the Tesla, why bother to own a bronco if it’s such a death trap?
I never called the bronco a death trap, or said it didn't have a black box, nor did I say anything about feeling safer in a Tesla. We have both cars are enjoy them both, but we are also educated about the features of both.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.