Sponsored

UPDATED with Before/After Rustproofing: Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST!

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Frames do rot from rust.
Didn’t say they did. Anything metal will eventually. Especially if not taken care of. I have an ‘89 f150 and the Frame is perfectly fine. Surface rust but no significant “rot” it has lived out side in the north east it’s entire life but has been washed and hosed off regularly. Just saying under normal conditions and with normal care you have a long ass time before you have to worry.

I love that a video made by a rust proof guy has everyone freaking out. You don’t see the irony here???
Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great video! I noticed rust on my First Edition in spots. Then I crawled under my wife's new Subaru XT and saw about the same sort of rust and missing paint. I'd be willing to bet that all manufacturers cut corners underneath. But it's good to get ahead of it. I plan on detailing the full undercarriage of mine this spring when the weather calms down. I did the same thing on my 06 mega cab. Spent days under that thing thing disassembling, painting and reassembling because of my OCD. It sucks that I have to do it on my 70k Bronco but I'd rather do it now and save headaches later.
You can also do it on your 100k Mercedes it’s not that manufacturers are cheap it’s called diminishing returns. Why go through the hassle of rust proofing something when it will last the useable life of the car 10 years plus? No reason to do it. Simple economics

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You can also do it on your 100k Mercedes it’s not that manufacturers are cheap it’s called diminishing returns. Why go through the hassle of rust proofing something when it will last the useable life of the car 10 years plus? No reason to do it. Simple economics
I wish my Mercedes was 100k hahaha

But you're completely right. Manufacturers won't bother with it because 99% of the people will drive these cars and trade them off in 3 years, never even looking underneath.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wish my Mercedes was 100k hahaha

But you're completely right. Manufacturers won't bother with it because 99% of the people will drive these cars and trade them off in 3 years, never even looking underneath.
I will bet anyone here a bronco won’t have significant rust on the frame (read rot) in ten years if halfway maintained.

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I will bet anyone here a bronco won’t have significant rust on the frame (read rot) in ten years if halfway maintained.
I agree completely. Ugly spots maybe, real "ROT" no way.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't see any rust on the frame, just the usual suspects like driveshaft, exhaust, single use bolts on the brake calipers, etc. that are almost never rust proofed from my experience working on cars.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is a chicken little thread. Wash the vehicle on a consistent basis even in the winter and be wary of places first and salt can sit and you will be fine. Next time you are around a bunch of bridges Pay attention to how much rust is on it. This is a non factor.
So I guess you’d consider this to be okay. Not me. I’m taking precautions after my last car was totaled from rot.

651096AD-A61E-4F3B-B3C5-6B7EE3FD41FD.jpeg

FC4FB474-55E8-425F-B2A3-66A1D02DE4E6.jpeg

Efudd

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iron needs oxygen to create rust. Any oxygen barrier coating will prevent the rust as long as it sticks around. Even rust will somewhat prevent more rust under the right conditions. That's probably why Ford just sizes a thicker frame or drive shaft section to create a sacraficial layer and allows it to rust. The only thing you need to worry about are the thinner pieces, one of the reasons the thinner body panels are probably alluminum. The problem with coatings is that if you miss a spot, and you have a conductive electrolyte like salty water splashing around you'll actually significantly accellerate the rust on the part you missed. Another benefit of being lazy, not coating anything, and just use a thicker section of steel. Washing off the salt is probably more beneficial than a coating.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used Blaster Surface Shield, like Fluid Film but lasts 2 years. Managed to get it on just before the snow and salt last week. Available at select home depots. I had a friend ship me some from Cleveland. https://blasterproducts.com/product/surface-shield/

We do rustproofing at work with a resin based product, called Watson Armor Shield. I charged a customer $600 to do the frame and underside of body of a new F250 Crew Cab last month. Personally I prefer the Lanolin style undercoatings because I've seen some Zeibarted cars rust underneath the coating like it holds the moisture in if it gets under there. Surface Shield/Fluid Film makes it a little easier to see what's actually going on and isn't permanent. https://watsoncoatings.com/product/armor-shield-rust-proofing/

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I guess you’d consider this to be okay. Not me. I’m taking precautions after my last car was totaled from rot.

651096AD-A61E-4F3B-B3C5-6B7EE3FD41FD.jpeg

FC4FB474-55E8-425F-B2A3-66A1D02DE4E6.jpeg
How old was it? Mileage and did you honestly take care of it. I bet it was over 5 years old too which goes back to what I said earlier. Manufacturers build things to last their typical service life.

tower9000

Black Diamond
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

when you guys say maintenance, what exactly should I be doing in winter? summer?
Just washing the salt off?

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was surprised in the inconsistency in the paint thickness on the various body panels...ranging from 3mm on the hood to 9mm on the quarter panel.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This just means more Yankees will be moving South…..

and I can say that because I’m one who’s parents migrated from PA to SC, don’t get your feeling hurt.

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ask any Jeep TJ owner about frame rot. I'm one of them. This guy is way over the top..."this bolt is rusting as we speak". Seriously? That surface rust is perfectly normal. It's the underside of a car....it's going to get dirty, grimy and rust a little. Most manufacturers these days put so many plastic covers under the car that you can't see the surface rust that's forming. But, it's there. Just use common sense and rinse road salt off. Or, spend your life and money obsessing over it. Your choice.
Sponsored