Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is no way the ratio of shipped 2.7Ls to 2.3Ls is 3:1 or even 2:1. Maybe not even 1:1.

2.7L has been a constraint the entire time. More 2.7Ls have been ordered, but that's a different story from what has actually shipped.
I’ll find the sheet that was posted that’s shows constraints and that 71% of buyers are choosing the 2.7. Poll and that will probably give you an good sampling

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll find the sheet that was posted that’s shows constraints and that 71% of buyers are choosing the 2.7. Poll and that will probably give you an good sampling
What buyers are choosing isn't the question. What Ford is actually delivering is.

The last time we got commodity numbers from within Ford, 72% of orders were 2.7L, and 60% of estimated production was 2.3L. This is what is meant by 2.7L being a constraint.

I'd love to have more updated real numbers, but I haven't gotten the sense that there's been a massive shift in production toward the 2.7L based on the builds I am seeing being delivered on here.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What buyers are choosing isn't the question. What Ford is actually delivering is.

The last time we got commodity numbers from within Ford, 72% of orders were 2.7L, and 60% of estimated production was 2.3L. This is what is meant by 2.7L being a constraint.

I'd love to have more updated real numbers, but I haven't gotten the sense that there's been a massive shift in production toward the 2.7L based on the builds I am seeing being delivered on here.
I started a poll on the general forum, last I looked it was about 65% 2.7 and 35% 2.3. Cast your vote. I asked those that have delivered and have on order. I understand the constraints. Could look at the build week schedules and get the mix also

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The actual term was not "redesign" thats something someone said in a post. The word we heard was "pending engineering change" which is a term Ford uses often in situations like this. Doesn't mean anything is being redesigned, it means the engineering dept has reccomended a change (like switching to a different valve supplier), and that changeover is in progress

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone figured out what % of these reported blown engines represent the number of 6G members with the 2.7L? If it's like under 0.5% I wouldn't say it's as big of a issue as some people say. But 1% makes me concerned.
Check my math:

1 out of 200 engines, no biggie
2 out of 200 engines, time to be concerned?

Just kidding, but seriously, its not about some arbitrary percentage. It is about how the small number of members on this small forum that have actually gotten a 2.7 and how already 31+ of them have blown and left them stranded.

Just wait until all those dirt mountain broncos start getting some miles on them.

The only reason the number is "small" Right now is because there isn't very many 2.7 with over 5 k miles on them out there.

Time for concern has well passed.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh tell me about it. The first time someone drops the valve over 5k and there's going to be hell to pay!

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh tell me about it. The first time someone drops the valve over 5k and there's going to be hell to pay!
Don't say that...I'm at 4,800. I'm hoping for rainbows and unicorns fly from the sky at 5,000.

faziorf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR OBX AMB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s because 5,000 miles is relatively early in an engine’s useful life.
This is a really helpful chart - thanks! But doesn't this mythical 5k miles threshold assume a lot? I'm kinda lost why mileage is used (given the fact that engine and part stress could be completely different from one person's 5k miles to another) as opposed to, say, engine hours, total revolutions, average RPM, etc.

Unless we are just picking it as a correlated point of data that we can easily measure, then that I get.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It’s alllllllllllll speculation. Only 1 group of people has real answers, and they’re probably covered by NDA 😩😩😩

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s because 5,000 miles is relatively early in an engine’s useful life.

If a critical engine component is weak or compromised during the manufacturing or assembly process (e.g., brittle metallurgy due to improper heat treatment, machined to incorrect tolerances, assembled incorrectly, improperly torqued, not lubricated), the engine is more likely to fail early in its expected useful lifetime. This is referred to as an Early “Infant Mortality” Failure and is illustrated on a graph called a Bathtub Curve, because the shape of the Observed Failure Rate (blue curve below) resembles that of a bathtub…

0948FBEA-ABE3-4AA4-AF8E-ED0B1542E9C0.png

The Observed Failure Rate is really a blend of three different types of failures:
  • Early “Infant Mortality” Failures (i.e., red curve, mostly early-life)
  • Constant (Random) Failures (i.e., green line, constant throughout, but more prominent mid-life)
  • Wear Out Failures (i.e., yellow curve, mostly late-life).
Bottom Line: The “Infant Mortality" zone occurs in the early part of the Bathtub Curve, but the failures decrease rapidly over time. Once you get past a certain point in time, most of the observed failure rates are going to be Constant (Random) Failures in mid-life and Wear Out Failures, which increase rapidly in late-life.
Infant mortality... bathtub... I think whoever was in charge of naming these things was going through some sh&t at the time

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't say that...I'm at 4,800. I'm hoping for rainbows and unicorns fly from the sky at 5,000.
What’s your engine build date? I wish we had a way to track mileage against build dates.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can hope mine drops a valve just before the power train warranty expires. New engine 🧏
Sponsored