Sponsored

6000 miles and I’m still buying premium gas

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also here in the PNW and my build date has been pushed a few times, got the email today, last time did not get a email at all. Now looking at 14 Feb with probable push out again due to chip constraints. My Stepsons uncle works the Bronco product team and they are way behind on commodities as you can see from today photos of Snow Mountain A.k.a Bronco dirt Mountain.
I read that. All of my fingers are crossed right now.
Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
After reading studies, where they put cars on a dyno, just to compare HP/Torque/MPG and they all show minute or no gains in either, I can't see why anyone would run premium (unless your car demands it). But if you want to believe Bob who on Thursday drove from Dallas to Austin and saw huge gains in HP and MPG, then by all means, go high octane.
From Ford:
2.7l 330 vs 315 hp and at lower rpm
415 vs 410 torque and at lower rpm

2.3l 300 vs 275 hp at lower rpm
325 vs 315 torque at lower rpm

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
From Ford:
2.7l 330 vs 315 hp and at lower rpm
415 vs 410 torque and at lower rpm

2.3l 300 vs 275 hp at lower rpm
325 vs 315 torque at lower rpm
More power working engine less. You maximize the motor's capability with premium, period.

But again do and believe what you want.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on hitting the trails at Citrus WMA within the next week or two. I'm a noob to off-roading and my main concern is going down the wrong trail that was meant for ATV's and getting my truck all scratched up. Which trail #'s would you recommend, and also which trails would you avoid?
Its a great place to get some confidence behind the wheel. My suggestion is start at the southern end off Stage Coach, right at Trail 11B. If you go north from there on 11b you'll intersect this route that I took from GAIA that is really cool.

https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?loc=14...ckId=7ed30caa724a9372d4451583e07fea31f34c804f

Its mostly wide open and not tight at all (unlike Ocala). There are some chutes you can take that connect the normal grid-style trails that are definitely fun but can be tight so if you feel up to it your truck can handle it its just got that pinstripe potential in some places.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to run premium only when I receive my 2.7L. Here is my reasoning:

Let's say I drive 10,000 miles a year and average 15mpgs. 10,000/15 = 666.667 gallons of gas a year. Around here, premium is 60 cents more than regular. Therefore, 666.667 x 0.6 = $400. So, $400 a year to run the best gas for the engine is nothing when compared to the thousands I'll pay in payments, insurance, maintenance, mods, etc.

Sponsored

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First time someone wants to race me, I’m going to tell them to hold on and go fill up with 91 😂

I mostly fill up with supreme at 5k, but that’s because I can sneak over the California/Nevada border and fill up $1 dollar less for premium there while shopping at Costco. California prices I’m happy with 275hp too.

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
I plan to run premium only when I receive my 2.7L. Here is my reasoning:

Let's say I drive 10,000 miles a year and average 15mpgs. 10,000/15 = 666.667 gallons of gas a year. Around here, premium is 60 cents more than regular. Therefore, 666.667 x 0.6 = $400. So, $400 a year to run the best gas for the engine is nothing when compared to the thousands I'll pay in payments, insurance, maintenance, mods, etc.
That's the misconception-- it is not the best gas for the engine. It's all marketing by the gas companies that want us to believe that. If 87 was the wrong fuel Ford would not recommend it as an acceptable fuel. If they said premium fuel only then the debate would be over. Fuel quality matters more than octane. if your not pinging --then your running the best fuel for you vehicle. Octane only prevents per-ignition it has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That's the misconception-- it is not the best gas for the engine. It's all marketing by the gas companies that want us to believe that. If 87 was the wrong fuel Ford would not recommend it as an acceptable fuel. If they said premium fuel only then the debate would be over. Fuel quality matters more than octane. if your not pinging --then your running the best fuel for you vehicle. Octane only prevents per-ignition it has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel.
:LOL:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve never run premium in either of my ecoboost engines. I have no intention of doing so. Both have been absolutely fine.

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've used Regular in my F150 2.7 for 5 years. Runs like a champ and average 20-23 mpg.

Sponsored

imabadbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, BMW 3 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seriously though, are we supposed to use higher octane? My BMW requires it, but the Ford dealership never mentioned it. I don't care about the cost, rather have the right fuel for the engine.

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seriously though, are we supposed to use higher octane? My BMW requires it, but the Ford dealership never mentioned it. I don't care about the cost, rather have the right fuel for the engine.
Ford Bronco 6000 miles and I’m still buying premium gas 1643733474056

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You can use 87 and not affect warranty as ford allows for use of 87 octane. Many of us, however, are of the opinion 91 is better long term, and it's definitely fact that you maximize the engine's performance and power with premium fuel, increasing both the hp and torque and at lower rpms both on the 2.3l and 2.7l engines.