Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Biden reintroduced significant increases in CAFE std's, you are going to get at min hybrids on everything. Obama had set it at 51mpg (is 38 for 2022). Trump put it back to a still significant increase at 44. Biden upped it back to 55 mpg by 2026 (a 45% increase in only 3 years).

Well, they have about 3 years. I don't see how you go from 38 to 55 CAFE by then without massive increases in electrics, at least most using hybrids on electric for commutes. Europe just re-defined the test for mpg std's on hybrids, realizing most use the ICE, much more than their previous std was set up for. So that doesn't help either (assuming std gets adopted here too)
That's the thing about hybrids though - they are self-charging without needing to be plugged-in. Straight hybrids are definitely a stop-gap measure, but they are a needed one while we sort out our charging infrastructure.
Also they provide instant torque, which precisely zero people on this forum should be against. A small electric motor giving you low-end torque while your turbos spool sounds like a great way to improve a small displacement FI ICE.
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yep. not everyone will have the best (for them) options. And yes, it is a new technology and lessons will be learned. I will say that Tesla has more experience (data) than many and the number of miles they are racking up is feeding right back into the engineering teams.

And for what it is worth, Elon and many others, will sing the praise of "modern" nuclear. There are very few safety reasons, or waste management challenges, related to some of these. Congrats to the Wyoming and their reactor project. Next Gen Reactor
1n 1980 there were 238 reactors in the US ..we are down to 94 today with a dozen set to close in the next 10 years.

yet India and China are building a dozen new coal power plants a year ....its crazy to think that moving to plug-in electric solves anything...Russia is putting in a new pipeline to Europe. So the reality is ...plug in electric vehicles solve absolutely nothing on a global scale, much less in the US.

Electric utility prices will rise, gasoline Prices will rise, you will have a major problem with where to put used toxic battery packs ..as NO state presently accepts them and we do not have one recycling center in the USA. Presently 5 in the whole world. The cost just to dispose of your battery when it’s toast is going to be incredible.

people here worried about the cost to ship a hard top, wait till they get the bill for a toxic EV battery That has to go to Canada. Can you imagine a toxic 20 year old Tesla car and battery in some old field getting into the ground water. No salvage yards will take them, the beauty of ICE autos is people could Recycle a whole car, from reselling parts, crushing and melting down Etc..not much to an electric vehicle ..maybe 4 electric motors at the most some doors and interior..with the new Tesla giga molds ...it’s just junk once it’s hit...makes a unibody look simple.

the totality of the infrastructure required to go electric is mind boggling. It’s really not possible very quickly and we are just losing our capacity to produce electricity incrementally every year. Solar and wind are just not viable on a mass scale. It cracks me up when I see square miles of forest chopped down to put solar panels in..the carbon offset provided versus the carbon offset lost by the cleared forest is a loser not to mention ugly.

on the flip side it takes a year and a half to put up a compact 2-3 acre hydrogen plant, very little in the way of ecological requirements. The new hydrogen plant that just opened in Nevada to be used for powering vehicles took a little over a year and a half to complete. With most of that plants fuel going to California stations a couple in Colorado and a new station in North Las Vegas, Nevada.

I think in the next 5 years while there will be lots more plug-in electric ...Hydrogen will quickly establish Itself as the only energy Source that is viable. Look for Toyota (have never been a fan) to lead the way, but I am a fan of their push for Hydrogen powered ICE vehicles and will buy one.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The handwriting is on the wall, the future is electric. Ford has even floated the idea of breaking the company up, between ICE and EV. Look what's being built in Tennessee and Kentucky. Blue Oval City and battery factories. By the way, Tennessee and Kentucky are both right to work states (non-union). When Farley was asked if the new plants would be unionized, he said Ford would leave that up the employees. Yeah, right. Ford wants to get out from under the UAW and also be able to sell directly to the consumer, like Tesla. Watch what they do, not what they say. ;)

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have yet to buy anything but used vehicles, not a single electric vehicle was ever considered because they weren't available second hand. The secondary market will exist as long as gasoline is sold. That will be a long, long time, longer than I can imagine living.
You don’t want A second hand EV over 5 years old. The battery pack will be toast just like a worn out cell phone.

I work with a guy who just dumped his old model S that he bought second hand .said the battery was getting weaker every few months and he almost got what he paid for it because of the high car prices right now. New battery packs are outrageous

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plug in electric vehicles still get the vast vast majority of power in the USA from Coal, natural Gas and Nuke power...they does very little to help the environment. Actually the battery packs are very toxic..I can remember when it was a huge problem just to dump one tiny battery in the trash..magically those warnings are gone. The rare elements used to make those batteries come from basically child labor in Africa or whatever labor China wants to use.

The future is hydrogen..specifically solid state hydrogen and with ICE engines.

Japan as a country is going completely to hydrogen ..no plug-in electric. Toyota and Yamaha are developing some great internal combustion hydrogen ICE engines. Toyota’s current model The Mirai, achieved an unprecedented 845 miles driven on a single, five-minute complete fill of hydrogen during a roundtrip tour of Southern California as it set the record. ( fuel cell)

you won’t be getting your hydrogen from a station like gas or plugging in to charge for 45min, you will simply place a CD like disk into a laser player which will power your ICE engine or an electric fuel cell car.

https://plasmakinetics.com/in-the-media

Plasma Kinetics is working with Toyota and VW to make this happen.

I have 90% owned Ford’s but won’t be doing plug-in ..,I’ll move to hydrogen..hopefully hydrogen powered ICE rather than hydrogen powered fuel cell.
Nope. The only short term benefit that hydrogen has over BEV is the fast fill up. There are a lot of companies working on that problem and those solutions should be available within the next 5 years.

A Chinese car company, NIO, currently has stations where they'll switch out your battery in 5 minutes.

Hydrogen still takes a tremendous amount of energy to produce and overall and they're only ultimately slightly more efficient than ICE

Sponsored

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Ford CEO Jim Farley Confirms ICE Future for the Bronco and Mustang 1644366665233
Curious how much longer this thread will continue since people are sharing constructive yet differing opinions…..did everyone forget that we’re all supposed to be happy and agree on everything?

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. The only short term benefit that hydrogen has over BEV is the fast fill up. There are a lot of companies working on that problem and those solutions should be available within the next 5 years.

A Chinese car company, NIO, currently has stations where they'll switch out your battery in 5 minutes.

Hydrogen still takes a tremendous amount of energy to produce and overall and they're only ultimately slightly more efficient than ICE
nope..solid state hydrogen is here..screw giant replacement battery stations that’s just quackery .,you are way behind when it comes to hydrogen technology.

Solid state Hydrogen is placed on a CD sized disc that emits hydrogen after a laser hits it.

‘’talk about trunk room..no tanks, no crazy mass batteries..just easy as going to your local station and trading in old Hydrogen discs like trading in propane tanks for your grill.”

Ford Bronco Ford CEO Jim Farley Confirms ICE Future for the Bronco and Mustang 1985AACF-B309-4E6E-9726-4A57FF21B643

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nope..solid state hydrogen is here..screw giant replacement battery stations that’s just quackery .,you are way behind when it comes to hydrogen technology.

Solid state Hydrogen is placed on a CD sized disc that emits hydrogen after a laser hits it.

‘’talk about trunk room..no tanks, no crazy mass batteries..just easy as going to your local station and trading in old Hydrogen discs like trading in propane tanks for your grill.”

Ford Bronco Ford CEO Jim Farley Confirms ICE Future for the Bronco and Mustang 1985AACF-B309-4E6E-9726-4A57FF21B643
I'll see your no and raise you a hell no. How do you produce all that hydrogen? You'd waste 60ish watts plus for every 100 produced

Sponsored

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The handwriting is on the wall, the future is electric. Ford has even floated the idea of breaking the company up, between ICE and EV. Look what's being built in Tennessee and Kentucky. Blue Oval City and battery factories. By the way, Tennessee and Kentucky are both right to work states (non-union). When Farley was asked if the new plants would be unionized, he said Ford would leave that up the employees. Yeah, right. Ford wants to get out from under the UAW and also be able to sell directly to the consumer, like Tesla. Watch what they do, not what they say. ;)
Look at all of the different metals it takes to make an electric vehicle. The countries that the metal comes from are using child labor as young as 6. This is not a political comment but the truth on why I will not ever purchase an electric car.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How are they supposed to produce all this extra electricity at night ???? No solar power at night! Only fossil fuel to produce electricity at night ! We are getting hosed in the corn hole by democrats while the get rich off of their new green pipe dream!
And that ladies and gentlemen is how you get a thread closed.

sshurts

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
misc, no jeep or bronco at this time.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
1n 1980 there were 238 reactors in the US ..we are down to 94 today with a dozen set to close in the next 10 years.

yet India and China are building a dozen new coal power plants a year ....its crazy to think that moving to plug-in electric solves anything...Russia is putting in a new pipeline to Europe. So the reality is ...plug in electric vehicles solve absolutely nothing on a global scale, much less in the US.

Electric utility prices will rise, gasoline Prices will rise, you will have a major problem with where to put used toxic battery packs ..as NO state presently accepts them and we do not have one recycling center in the USA. Presently 5 in the whole world. The cost just to dispose of your battery when it’s toast is going to be incredible.

people here worried about the cost to ship a hard top, wait till they get the bill for a toxic EV battery That has to go to Canada. Can you imagine a toxic 20 year old Tesla car and battery in some old field getting into the ground water. No salvage yards will take them, the beauty of ICE autos is people could Recycle a whole car, from reselling parts, crushing and melting down Etc..not much to an electric vehicle ..maybe 4 electric motors at the most some doors and interior..with the new Tesla giga molds ...it’s just junk once it’s hit...makes a unibody look simple.

the totality of the infrastructure required to go electric is mind boggling. It’s really not possible very quickly and we are just losing our capacity to produce electricity incrementally every year. Solar and wind are just not viable on a mass scale. It cracks me up when I see square miles of forest chopped down to put solar panels in..the carbon offset provided versus the carbon offset lost by the cleared forest is a loser not to mention ugly.

on the flip side it takes a year and a half to put up a compact 2-3 acre hydrogen plant, very little in the way of ecological requirements. The new hydrogen plant that just opened in Nevada to be used for powering vehicles took a little over a year and a half to complete. With most of that plants fuel going to California stations a couple in Colorado and a new station in North Las Vegas, Nevada.

I think in the next 5 years while there will be lots more plug-in electric ...Hydrogen will quickly establish Itself as the only energy Source that is viable. Look for Toyota (have never been a fan) to lead the way, but I am a fan of their push for Hydrogen powered ICE vehicles and will buy one.
I've seen backing for hydrogen from some reliable experts but targeted at the long haul trucking segment. I'm not sold on the auto markets segment.

I would suggest looking into companies like redwood industries. They, and others, are in the battery recycling business. turns out that most of the minerals are quite valuable and recyclable. it will take a while but there are expectations that we won't need to mine most the needed minerals in the future. a real profitable business.

without question the power grid is ripe for disruption. software skills and a distributed model might do wonders. Tesla has filed for permitting to be a power distributor. here

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

sshurts

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
misc, no jeep or bronco at this time.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Look at all of the different metals it takes to make an electric vehicle. The countries that the metal comes from are using child labor as young as 6. This is not a political comment but the truth on why I will not ever purchase an electric car.

true. one of the many reasons that Lithium iron phosphate is going to be the most common chemistry. Cobalt and nickle will be for the highest density needs. sourcing materials for lfp wont be an issue and way cheaper.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.