First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Better to access from top of engine…or from the bottom??
I dunno, my photo is from @KnoxGnater ’s post above. I just zoomed in on it. I will check tomorrow after my engin is cool. I hope I can get my hand in there from the too to check for the clip. My engine is a Nov 15 build.
Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just got back from a week long road trip to Off-Roadeo and beyond. I just said F it in some of the most remote driving our country has to offer. Over big mountains, below sea level in Death Valley, 100+ degree driving outside of Vegas and the majority of it at 80 mph+. 40+ hrs. behind the wheel and over 2k miles. I'm at 7445 miles now on a 21214 with three engines blown on that build day (one of which is 4 engines in front of mine in sequence, one 15 after). Sell it or use it I say. Could happen at any time I guess but only one way to find out (crossing fingers and knocks on wood).
IMG_2205.jpg
Perfect advice!

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I saw yesterday at least one more failure mentioned on the FB group. I am going to try to find it and steer them this way if so.

SilverBullets

Outer Banks
First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This thread is giving me porsche 997.1 IMS bearing vibes.
Which is also a completely blown out of proportion issue. One which the only companies posting information online about it are the same ones selling the remediation.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I saw yesterday at least one more failure mentioned on the FB group. I am going to try to find it and steer them this way if so.
saw that one too.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
is it time to put a fork in it?

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

231 pages wow let's start over I am tired of this thread, we all need a break from this Bronco 2.7 failure Pandemic we are going through, can we start fresh with anything other than how many failures and all the other Bull Shet that comes with it, I and I am guessing most of you all are ready to get past this and think about all the fun and excitement the Bronco Brings us every day whether its driving to work a vacation, out in the boonies or going offroad and for GOD sakes anyone that is not driving their Bronco because they ae worried about it Dropping a valve STOP the insanity Drive it long and hard because that is what we signed up for RIGHT? I personally see all the stuff that is happening in the world and think WOW we are lucky to be a Bronco Owner right now.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

231 pages wow let's start over I am tired of this thread, we all need a break from this Bronco 2.7 failure Pandemic we are going through, can we start fresh with anything other than how many failures and all the other Bull Shet that comes with it, I and I am guessing most of you all are ready to get past this and think about all the fun and excitement the Bronco Brings us every day whether its driving to work a vacation, out in the boonies or going offroad and for GOD sakes anyone that is not driving their Bronco because they ae worried about it Dropping a valve STOP the insanity Drive it long and hard because that is what we signed up for RIGHT? I personally see all the stuff that is happening in the world and think WOW we are lucky to be a Bronco Owner right now.

yeah, you can talk cause you have Julian 211 'Clear Day' engine - not so much to worry about

Sponsored

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trying to make sense of the failed engine data, I'm wondering if perhaps both (a) the failures had components that were at the edge of manufacturing tolerance, and (b) driving patterns in or near the break-in period caused the valve malfunctions.

In other words. do you think there's a possibility that what might have been a problem early on, could now be mitigated by the parts wearing-in? That might explain the dwindling reports of new failures.
If it is only valvetrain related then break-in procedure would have no impact.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If it is only valvetrain related then break-in procedure would have no impact.
Not if it has to do with heat treatment... it could be that the way the motor is broken in could cause some annealing of the material or prevent annealing (unlikely, but at least possible in theory).

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How certain are we that it is only valves?
I know this thread is too large to be read in it's entirety. The valve train has failed in the cases being traced by @Lucchese here. It is believed it has something to do with the valve production quality. It could also have something to do with the valve spring or valve guides, but the most likely issue has to do with valve stem and head not meeting spec. Valves are made up of two different metals that are friction welded together. The exhaust valve head has withstand extreme temperature, and the stem has to be strong. I do not know the specifics, but either the stem and head are of different steel alloys, or they are the same alloy but are heat treated differently. Or both, i.e.,. different steel alloys that are each heat treated differently. Both of these parts are then welded together to form one piece, and then heat treated. I don't know the process, so I could be wrong but I believe the process to weld them together is a friction weld process. One part is spun up to a high rotation speed and then pushed together with the static part resulting in both parts heating up and then fusing together from the extreme heat generated by friction.

So, there are many details involved in making a valve for a specific condition. Tensile and compressive strength, heat resistance, thermal expansion are just a few that I can think of. Exhaust valves get hotter than intake valves so they are not designed for identical conditions. I can imagine valves being produced exactly to spec, the intake valve is perfect and the exhaust valve is perfect, but when they were shipped they were mislabeled. If an intake valve was labeled an exhaust valve, it would not be able to withstand the temperature. Not sure if they are of the same dimentions though. But if they were, I could see something like that happen. A labeling error may be harder to catch than a valve being produced out of spec. Valves trains are failing and we know based on the Managers News Letter, Lima Engine Plant, that there was as problem with valve production that was corrected in 2021.
Sponsored