Sponsored

"We're betting on dealers. We're not going to go direct." - Jim Farley on EV dealers

Squatch Parade

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
  • Banned
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/14/for...s-dealers-as-it-chases-tesla-like-profit.html

“We’re betting on the dealers. We’re not going to go direct. But we need to specialize,” CEO Jim Farley told reporters Tuesday after briefing dealers about the plans. “The main message I have for the dealers, which I’ve never said before, because I didn’t believe it was true, is that you could be the most valuable franchise in our industry.”

Sorry, it's not looking like price gouging is going to end anytime soon.

There is some rhetoric about non-negotiable pricing, but doubt that's what we were hoping for.
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/14/for...s-dealers-as-it-chases-tesla-like-profit.html

“We’re betting on the dealers. We’re not going to go direct. But we need to specialize,” CEO Jim Farley told reporters Tuesday after briefing dealers about the plans. “The main message I have for the dealers, which I’ve never said before, because I didn’t believe it was true, is that you could be the most valuable franchise in our industry.”

Sorry, it's not looking like price gouging is going to end anytime soon.

There is some rhetoric about non-negotiable pricing, but doubt that's what we were hoping for.
The “clear and non-negotiable pricing” is only for EV sales. That’s always been Farley’s position during his quarterly conference calls with analysts and investors, because Tesla is his real competition for EV sales, and Tesla does not make or sell ICE vehicles. Unfortunately, most media reports miss that subtlety, so many of the members here who read those reports miss it, too.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sound bite.....The national dlr meeting is happening now, we decided not to go but I don't think he was talking about value in the sense of profiteering from sales. Quite the opposite, new dealer agreements will soon be coming for those that want to sell EV which I'm certain will have tons of pricing controls. He's already said the dealers need to cut $2K from the sale of an EV and dealers will need to make up revenue in other ways like accessories. Sorry, there isn't that type of margin built in to cut, savings will need to be made at the production level by controlling costs and leveraging their buying power.

My prediction is that a lot of smaller dealers are going to be crushed by some of the corporate changes and may only be limited to ICE sales where they could do EV and commercial before. We'll get the full release notes from later this week but it's going to be brutal from what I've heard already.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because the real way to win over squirrels is to reduce the number of nut bearing trees, then place predatory birds in those that still exist.

Makes sense Ford. Totally.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Real snippets below. Also note Ford is moving to EV, so this IS the future. Summary is Ford going EV, wants dealers, dealers need to follow rules to sell EV. This is good if you actually read it.

Farley wants Ford’s retailers to cut selling and distribution costs by $2,000 per vehicle to be competitive with the direct-to-consumer model.

Aside from the investments, dealers who opt into selling EVs will need to abide by five standards to stay within good standing: clear and non-negotiable pricing; charging investment; employee training; and improved vehicle purchasing and ownership experience for customer, both digitally and in-person.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Until idiotic laws change Ford cannot legally sell direct. So this is literally a nothing burger and no one should be surprised/upset/pleased with this statement. It is hun literally saying how things are legally required to be.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sound bite.....The national dlr meeting is happening now, we decided not to go but I don't think he was talking about value in the sense of profiteering from sales. Quite the opposite, new dealer agreements will soon be coming for those that want to sell EV which I'm certain will have tons of pricing controls. He's already said the dealers need to cut $2K from the sale of an EV and dealers will need to make up revenue in other ways like accessories. Sorry, there isn't that type of margin built in to cut, savings will need to be made at the production level by controlling costs and leveraging their buying power.

My prediction is that a lot of smaller dealers are going to be crushed by some of the corporate changes and may only be limited to ICE sales where they could do EV and commercial before. We'll get the full release notes from later this week but it's going to be brutal from what I've heard already.
Your prediction is dead on. The plan in the works is to create two types of dealerships. ICE only, and EV only. This was published several months ago.

CJSimmons

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's hilarious how Farley talks about all this when 1) There is little to no markup from MSRP to invoice on Ford EV's and 2) He is raising the prices of Mach E and Lightning by 4-5k from 2022 to 2023. At any point during the last year Ford could have rolled out rebates if they actually cared about the market increases at dealers, instead he scapegoats dealers into being the bad guy he has no control over.

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's hilarious how Farley talks about all this when 1) There is little to no markup from MSRP to invoice on Ford EV's and 2) He is raising the prices of Mach E and Lightning by 4-5k from 2022 to 2023. At any point during the last year Ford could have rolled out rebates if they actually cared about the market increases at dealers, instead he scapegoats dealers into being the bad guy he has no control over.
Looking at what I paid for my Bronco vs. the MSRP, I'm pretty sure the dealers are the bad guys right now. But that's just my opinion.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to do some digging to see if the pricing context was in relation to transaction price (which would make sense if he was talking about ADM) or triple net. Our cost is our cost so if they cap the vehicle sale price it would mean they control what we're charged AND what we can sell it for. That doesn't make much sense because the margins on these are already thin, they could just say, dealers have to sell these at no profit and try to make it up on financing, trade, ESP, prepaid maintenance or accessories. All of which would be a non starter and probably generate a ton of push back from the entire dealer body.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is pretty obvious that Ford values their dealers more than their customers.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is pretty obvious that Ford values their dealers more than their customers.
Ford's customers are the dealers. The dealer's customers are the end consumer.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your prediction is dead on. The plan in the works is to create two types of dealerships. ICE only, and EV only. This was published several months ago.
And Commercial Pro. We do a fair bit of commercial and will have to deal with their new rules and standards along with EV.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
No one is forced to buy a ford, do people forget that? This isn't a big deal deal. If you don't like the price spend your money elsewhere

Klaben Ford in Warren and Kent advertise MSRP pricing, nothing above it. Just shop smarter. Stop giving your money to people who don't respect you. At this point, it's the customers fault, not Ford's
Sponsored

Last edited: