Sponsored

You seasoned Ford Guys: your opinion on the 2.3 Turbo?

Ajfetterman

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2, 1991 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, that's the video I was referring to about seeing it in cruise around on 33's.

Dunno, still on the fence. I need to learn more about the 2.3 I and the tunes that will be available.

Also, I guess final numbers still are not out about final HP and Torque.
I always had V8's. Went with the 2.7 Eco in 2015 when they came out and loved it. I currently have a ZR2 Colorado with the 3.6 which has 308hp / 275 torque. It moves off of the line pretty well and has plenty of passing power. This is why I'm not shying away from the 2.3. That said, if the 2.7 was available with a manual I would 100% have that.
Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I honestly have no idea which direction I'm going to go in. A Black Diamond with the 2.3L and a manual would do 99% of what I need it to do, but I don't want my Bronco to "just be enough". I do plan on utilizing the 3,500lb towing capacity, so I don't want buyers remorse with the engine. My second option is a Base with the Sasquatch and the 2.7L/auto. I have worries of the 2.3L sitting in boost more than it should if it turns larger tires. I think you have to benchmark Jeep for MPG's since we have no real information on that.
Thanks for the information and good luck on whatever you decide on!

r0skor0cker

Big Bend
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's been mentioned plenty but gearing will help turn the big honkin tires :). That being said I'm a Ford guy and I currently drive an ecoboost mustang with a 2.3L. It isn't the exact same motor but it is peppy. With a tune it has gone from fun to FUUUN. A turbo'd engine is a different beast than a big NA engine. It will fine... well teh exhaust note might not, lol.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to be super picky but to “upgrade” the black diamond to the 2.7 auto and Sasquatch it’s $8000..
I’ve seen alot
Of people round up to 10-12k... I guess that’s not how my math works..

my uneducated opinion isI believe the 2.3 can handle the 35s fine but the reason I decided to go with the 2.7 is future resale- and who knows if this is correct line of thinking but I believe the V6 will hold its value more.
Not sure why I care because I really do plan on holding onto the Bronc for a long time
I think the 2.3L will do good on resale too. But I think more people are frustrate/disappointed that the Sasquatch package isn’t available on the manual. I think if it was more people would not have as hard of a dec to make when it comes to the 2.7L or the manual.

For me personally I haven’t made up my mind yet of which route to take with my Bronco. But long term I think the 2.7L will do better as well.

Sponsored

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My girlfriend has a mustang with the 2.3 and 10 speed. It can move a mustang nicely, but a detuned version in a car 1k lb heavier? That thought has me leaning toward the 2.7.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I planned on sticking with the 2.3 and excepting performance loss for better mileage.
But.....I was talking to a friend at a party about this and it turns out his brother is a ford mechanic.
His brother went out his way to get word back to me saying that he would highly suggest the 2.7......
You know how this information is, definitely take it with a grain of salt, just sayin......

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I planned on sticking with the 2.3 and excepting performance loss for better mileage.
But.....I was talking to a friend at a party about this and it turns out his brother is a ford mechanic.
His brother went out his way to get word back to me saying that he would highly suggest the 2.7......
You know how this information is, definitely take it with a grain of salt, just sayin......
hmmmm....

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't know what to believe at this point...

My ideal choice would be the 2.3 with the manual. Not sure if that will be an option with the Sasquatch.
The 2.3 is a derivative of the Duratec which is an ~800hp capable engine.

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only driven the 2.3 in a Mustang to scoot around and it was fun and adequate. I don't think I would see that as a comparison though. The issue with big tires is the torque needed to get them spinning and accelerate. They're big and heavy. The solution is the right gears.

It does not look like the gear selection can be optioned from what I've seen. It looks like Ford picks the gears based on the engine, transmission, and Sasquatch or not. So, to get the manual and 35s or bigger and not have the 2.3 be a dog a gear change will probably be in order. No gear change and it will be running inefficiently under its target power band.

I think Ford knows this. The relations are no secrete. Since we all want to play with a build and price, look at the Tremor package on the Super Duty. You can get a tall tire just over 34 inches tall with some wheel and tire packages. As soon as you select Tremor with its 35s which are just under 35 inches tall but wider and heavier it forces the gear change to 4.30s.

In the modified 4x4 world, the rule of thumb with tire changes is to adjust to get the system back to the same RPM at any given speed and then round down to increase RPMs. So if the math says a gear change to 4.10s is needed go with 4.56s or if 4.56s go with 4.88s. Use the extra bump in RPMs to increase power to compensate for the added torque needed to get the big heavy tires rolling.

So will the 2.3 with its flat torque curve handle just swapping to 35s? Sure. Will it be noticeable? Depends on the driver.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so, to get the manual and 35s or bigger and not have the 2.3 be a dog a gear change will probably be in order. No gear change and it will be running inefficiently under its target power band.

I think Ford knows this. The relations are no secrete. Since we all want to play with a build and price, look at the Tremor package on the Super Duty. You can get a tall tire just over 34 inches tall with some wheel and tire packages. As soon as you select Tremor with its 35s which are just under 35 inches tall but wider and heavier it forces the gear change to 4.30s.
Agreed, 100%. ughhhh... decisions to make...

niknailor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I 100% agree with you. My hope is that if I'm buying the manual I can option up the gears for larger tires preemptively.

bdg149

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.5 VW Atlas, 1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's how I look at it. I used to have a Nissan Titan that was rated at 317/385 with a big V8 (12-15mpg) on 33s. A 2.3 Bronco with the Ford Performance tune puts it at around 310/350. That is in the ballpark of my old Titan, and that thing was quick! Never had any trouble getting that thing moving.

I now have an Infiniti G37xS (AWD) with 330hp. It moves well for a heavy sedan. Again, the 2.3 is in the neighborhood with a tune.

The 4-banger is plenty to get the job done.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, that's where my head is on this. On the fence, would like to know more about the tunes available for the 2.3, reliability, etc. before I say "screw it, get the 6"
So basically the 2.3 in the Mustang has 310hp and 350tq.

Bronco 2.3 270hp and 310tq.

The difference is the tune from the factory. Thats it. They are identical engines. Ford performance will have a tuner for the 2.3 Bronco available. They already have it for the Ranger.

Basically with the tune all your doing is switching it from an 87 octane tune to a 93 premium fuel tune. Thats literally it. Nothing major. You'll get about 310hp and 360tq.

niknailor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The difference is the tune from the factory. Thats it. They are identical engines. Ford performance will have a tuner for the 2.3 Bronco available. They already have it for the Ranger.

Basically with the tune all your doing is switching it from an 87 octane tune to a 93 premium fuel tune. Thats literally it. Nothing major. You'll get about 310hp and 360tq.
Also, this is only if you stick with Ford Performance's tunes, which while they're attractive for warrantying purposes...there are going to be other options that will net better gains on 91 and 93 octane gas. Obviously, the best tunes will be protunes, i.e; having a reputable tuner actually strap the thing to a dyno, and properly tune it themselves measuring horsepower at the wheels.

Considering people like Cobb and Livernois are making tunes for these engines already in the Mustang and the Ranger, I'm not super worried about wanting for power. The question is, are people gonna do the right thing and put in supporting modifications for them if they want more power and don't mind putting in the legwork? That means new intercoolers, AOS's/catch cans, intakes, better charge piping and bypass/recirculating valves, or even *gasp* a bigger turbo someday...

Not that I'm advocating anybody do any of this on a new vehicle, mind you...but, if you've only got a 3yr/36k warranty and you're keeping the vehicle "forever..." 3 years or 36k miles isn't a long time. ;)

Here's how I look at it. I used to have a Nissan Titan that was rated at 317/385 with a big V8 (12-15mpg) on 33s. A 2.3 Bronco with the Ford Performance tune puts it at around 310/350. That is in the ballpark of my old Titan, and that thing was quick! Never had any trouble getting that thing moving.

I now have an Infiniti G37xS (AWD) with 330hp. It moves well for a heavy sedan. Again, the 2.3 is in the neighborhood with a tune.

The 4-banger is plenty to get the job done.
This. It's gonna be fine, y'all.
Sponsored