First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Bronco is a small SUV. Too small, that’s going to be up for everyone to decide for their situation and needs. Definitely sounds too small for your needs to me, it could never be a primary or family vehicle for us. Go see a 4 door wrangler, should be about the same.
Exactly, even in 4 door the bronco is small
Like CR-V RAV4 class small, which I realized is actually pretty big now, but in the class of SUVs it's little. And with body on frame construction, the bronco will be less spacious than other SUVs with similar footprints

There are certainly going to be people who need or want a bigger vehicle.

Toyota land cruiser would be a perfect fit
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Best vehicle for your situation would be full size SUV such as an expedition. It's has 3 row seating and will be perfect amount of space while also being able to use the roof for even more space

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You know the answer; you just need to go through the 7 stages of grief. When you are saying good-bye to your Bronco aspirations in stage 7, definitely consider the Raptor. My family of four -- and often one friend -- raved about the spaciousness and comfort of the Raptor on long trips. With a lockable hard tonneau cover, we always had more than enough capacity to bring whatever we wanted. Another interesting option would be the new Ram TRX -- you would be able to take delivery of a TRX this year! Good luck (assuming you are waiting for the V8 Raptor)!

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep the 4 runner and buy 2, 2 door broncos. I have the biggest roof top tent they make and 4 of us fit just fine, 5 would be to snug but It could be done. It won’t go on a bronco as it weighs to much. Bronco and jeep to me are made for people who are ok with bringing minimal gear as if you are backpacking through the Appalachians. That appeals to me but not to the rest of my family. We could take my Fj with the roof rack loaded by itself but we could never take the jeep alone when we owned it.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Get the Bronco and if it ends up not being big enough for you we will trade you our 12 Explorer with 3rd row even Steven and we all will be happy.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've hauled all sorts of family, dogs and gear in my full size Ram but large pickups are a whole different animal in some smaller spaces you find on a daily basis. You get used to it and I either pull through or back in to every parking space so I don't have to do an 8 point turn reversing out when you're in some parking lots

I will say that many people tend to overpack when they are traveling by vehicle versus airline.....just because they can. But coolers, tents, and other gear fit nicely in a big bed.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Isn't Jeep going to announce a new larger SUV? Grand Wagoner or something? Maybe that would work.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got reservation for a 4-door BL. I also have a family of 5, and a dog. When we head out to the wilderness, room is tight in the Runner. Load that thing up with gear and the critter and soon enough, we are over flowing and taking the wife's Subaru Ascent as well. Keep in mind the other four members of my family are females. That might help explain my situation.

Ideally I'd buy the Bronco and it fits my family, my dog and a few days worth of gear for heading into the back country. I don't think that is feasible, or realistic from everything I'm seeing with the Bronco. Interior cargo dimensions appear to be smaller than my 4Runner's, so I'd be taking a step backwards in that regard.

"What about buying a roof rack?" you might ask. Well I was planning on putting a RTT on my next vehicle, so there won't be room for gear and a RTT. Not sure I want to load and unload a RTT each time I want to use the roof rack for hauling gear either. Buy a trailer? Possibly an option, but that 3500lbs tow capacity is a joke, and I don't know I want two trailers - one for my Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a camping trailer/gear hauler? The Bronco can't tow a big enough toy hauler/camper.

So what do you all think?

1. Ditch the reservation and wait for the new Raptor or all new 2022 Tundra?
2. Buy the Bronco and learn new methods to control my inevitable rage when I can't fit all my crap in it for a weekend in the woods?
3. Buy a Ranger and hate myself every time I look in the mirror?
4. Sell all my belongings and live like a Sasquatch alone in the forest?

Easily solved..buy 2 Broncos

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since you end up taking two cars, just get the 2-dr. You and the dog in the Bronco. Problem solved (y)
No way my family would be ok with that. When we go on off road excursions out in the hills behind our house, all five of us go and the dog hops in the cargo area, rear window rolls down and everyone is happy. Couldn't take the whole crew, even for just small trips, if I bought a 2-door.
Option 5) Buy a roof rack and a normal tent - scratch the RTT, it's not like all 5 of you and a dog would be able to fit in a RTT anyways. Worst case if you need even more storage get a hitch cargo carrier.
This sounds like the most reasonable way to justify getting the Bronco 4-door. But I should clarify. The dog would not need to go in a RTT, or ground tent. I have a hunting dog kennel he stays in when we camp. He loves it and we love that he isn't getting us all covered in his filth.
Trailer with a RTT sounds like the way to go
Do I really want a second trailer though? Probably not...
The Bronco is a small SUV. Too small, that’s going to be up for everyone to decide for their situation and needs. Definitely sounds too small for your needs to me, it could never be a primary or family vehicle for us. Go see a 4 door wrangler, should be about the same.
I've driven the new Wrangler and Gladiator. Those interiors are even smaller than my 4Runner.
May be the 2021 Kia Sedona?

2022-kia-sedona-front-three-quarters-1597758565.jpg

2021-kia-carnival-interior.jpg
Hold on while I look for a middle finger emoji...
#5. Buy a Suburban.
I'd rather walk into oncoming traffic than own a GM vehicle.
That's definitely a lot of cargo to expect to load into any vehicle that has some form of off-road capability. As much as I am not a Toyota fan, seems like a Sequoia is a decent option for you to have it all. A RTT will not fit all your family, and if you have a dog like mine, pondering how to get him into the tent seems like it would be interesting. So you'll be stuck with 2 tents anyway. I would sacrifice the idea of a RTT and audible to a roof rack for storage if you really want a Bronco. That's the best idea I can think of for you. I am looking into options for an "adventure trailer" or an off-road teardrop camper because a RTT on a lifted vehicle just seems like a PITA, as much as it would be "cool."
Sequoias are super nice, and plenty of room to spare. They actually make a TRD Pro as well, but it is really just stitching in the leather seats and Fox shocks. Not really off road worthy at all.
Exactly, even in 4 door the bronco is small
Like CR-V RAV4 class small, which I realized is actually pretty big now, but in the class of SUVs it's little. And with body on frame construction, the bronco will be less spacious than other SUVs with similar footprints

There are certainly going to be people who need or want a bigger vehicle.

Toyota land cruiser would be a perfect fit
The new land cruisers are so damn expensive though. Like $80k starting.
Best vehicle for your situation would be full size SUV such as an expedition. It's has 3 row seating and will be perfect amount of space while also being able to use the roof for even more space
Expeditions aren't really made for off road though. I take my 4Runner some really gnarly places.
You know the answer; you just need to go through the 7 stages of grief. When you are saying good-bye to your Bronco aspirations in stage 7, definitely consider the Raptor. My family of four -- and often one friend -- raved about the spaciousness and comfort of the Raptor on long trips. With a lockable hard tonneau cover, we always had more than enough capacity to bring whatever we wanted. Another interesting option would be the new Ram TRX -- you would be able to take delivery of a TRX this year! Good luck (assuming you are waiting for the V8 Raptor)!
This, sadly, rings very true. Well, everything except the TRX comment. Not dropping 100K on a truck.
Get the Bronco and if it ends up not being big enough for you we will trade you our 12 Explorer with 3rd row even Steven and we all will be happy.
See comment above about off road worthiness/capability.
I've hauled all sorts of family, dogs and gear in my full size Ram but large pickups are a whole different animal in some smaller spaces you find on a daily basis. You get used to it and I either pull through or back in to every parking space so I don't have to do an 8 point turn reversing out when you're in some parking lots

I will say that many people tend to overpack when they are traveling by vehicle versus airline.....just because they can. But coolers, tents, and other gear fit nicely in a big bed.
I used to own an F350 quad cab. Yeah, its like driving a bus, but in a good way. Although it was a nightmare in off camber situations with that heavy diesel front end.
You can fit 5 people and a dog in an F150?
Yes, 5 people will fit easily in the cavernous interior of an f150, and the dog and his kennel would fit easily in the truck bed.
Sponsored