First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm just thankful the fuel economy is better than a Lamborgini, and I enjoy the opportunity to stretch my legs.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What build do you have exactly if you’re getting 22 mpg in Atlanta?

I did just get my Badsquatch 2.7, 2 Dr, but I never expected anything above 17 mpg. Not that I’m cool with that, but I understand it. Now that I have it and see how big and tall this rig is, yet so comfortable, and actually kind of nimble for what it is; I just love it!

I can tolerate the annoyance of constant trips to the gas station. If I run 89 or 93, my mpg will improve, but in the city during the week, i’m good with the 87.

Knowing what I was buying and most important, what I was buying it for (wheeling and camping), I am completely satisfied and that‘s putting it lightly.
2-dr Black Diamond, manual. Never said I'm getting 22 mpg in Atlanta. Just getting good mileage on longer drives. More like 19 mpg commuting. Something over 20 mpg overall over 14,000 miles so far in 9 months of ownership.

Incidentally, the Bronco is now my high mileage vehicle. My Cadillac only gets something like 14 mpg, sometimes more like 12 mpg. :)

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I actually thought about producing an auxiliary gas tank set up, but I didn't want the liability...

I figure two things would happen. First, some idiot would set themselves on fire and sue me. Second, a Chinese competitor would start selling the same product for 1/4 the price (if not less). I still might do it for myself, but I doubt that I would put it in production.

I remember when making things for people could actually be a good way to earn a living, and then that got all fucked up by "market forces".
I've been looking at ways to mount a fuel tank in place of the muffler, as well as a few other ideas along the same lines. If you get started on it first, give me a ring...we can tackle it together. I still need to get a few things sorted out before I can start on mine, mainly the forward mounted muffler and side exit exhaust, and for that I need my sliders installed so I can work around them.

Any suggestions for which exhaust with a center mounted muffler would be best? Last I checked there was only one, wondering if anyone else has come out with one.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
Incidentally, the Bronco is now my high mileage vehicle. My Cadillac only gets something like 14 mpg, sometimes more like 12 mpg. :)
Years ago when I had my ‘69 Merc. I ended up next to a Cadillac of similar vintage at a red light right before a bridge over the Connecticut River. Light went green and we both went for it. The Cadillac had more than the 390 in the Merc. and pulled on me coming down the far side. I turned to my wife in the passenger seat and said, “Yeah, But I bet he just drives from gas station to gas station.”
There was a gas station right on the other end of the bridge and sure enough he put his signal on and pulled in. The timing was too good and my wife bust out laughing.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

“Yeah, But I bet he just drives from gas station to gas station.”
In the scheme of things, aren't we all just driving from gas station to gas station, occasionally stopping along the way? We are all incontrovertibly taking our own path to get fuel again, the steady march to E never ceases. something something metaphor life lesson the end

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Years ago when I had my ‘69 Merc. I ended up next to a Cadillac of similar vintage at a red light right before a bridge over the Connecticut River. Light went green and we both went for it. The Cadillac had more than the 390 in the Merc. and pulled on me coming down the far side. I turned to my wife in the passenger seat and said, “Yeah, But I bet he just drives from gas station to gas station.”
There was a gas station right on the other end of the bridge and sure enough he put his signal on and pulled in. The timing was too good and my wife bust out laughing.
A benefit of buying the Cadillac is getting to go to a track school at Spring Mountain. They would gas up the cars, which would then show something like 92 miles of range, fully fueled! I'm guessing 6 or 7 mpg when being pushed hard all day.

Anyway, the Bronco sips fuel by comparison. :)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been looking at ways to mount a fuel tank in place of the muffler, as well as a few other ideas along the same lines. If you get started on it first, give me a ring...we can tackle it together. I still need to get a few things sorted out before I can start on mine, mainly the forward mounted muffler and side exit exhaust, and for that I need my sliders installed so I can work around them.

Any suggestions for which exhaust with a center mounted muffler would be best? Last I checked there was only one, wondering if anyone else has come out with one.
I have few things that sort of make who makes what irrelevant (and I suspect that you might have at least a few of them too). I have a plasma cutter, a TIG welder, and a bunch of stainless steel (although initially intended for the F355). It's a little more work to roll your own, but it's totally doable. I also have some friends that weld much better than I do in Spring Branch... All we need to do is tack it up.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate stopping to buy gas when it is season here and all the snow birds are down for the winter. It's so crowded and sometimes have to wait in line, so much traffic. That's why I prefer to stop only once a week. So I usually go at 5:00 am in the morning. The summer it's not so bad but.......have to keep the tank near full almost all the time as you never know when a hurricane is going to come then gas sells out real fast.

I also get a decent 22 MPG average in my 2 door Base Bronco Sas with 2.7. I bought the lightest weight (Base) package and biggest engine and drive with a really light foot and let the auto shut off do it's thing at the 5 minute plus long lights. Still I was hoping for an unrealistic 25, LOL

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate stopping to buy gas when it is season here and all the snow birds are down for the winter. It's so crowded and sometimes have to wait in line, so much traffic. That's why I prefer to stop only once a week. So I usually go at 5:00 am in the morning. The summer it's not so bad but.......have to keep the tank near full almost all the time as you never know when a hurricane is going to come then gas sells out real fast.

I also get a decent 22 MPG average in my 2 door Base Bronco Sas with 2.7. I bought the lightest weight (Base) package and biggest engine and drive with a really light foot and let the auto shut off do it's thing at the 5 minute plus long lights. Still I was hoping for an unrealistic 25, LOL
I also have a 2 door Base with the 2.7, I put 33's on it and this summer I was pushing 23 mpg. Winter and am still getting shy of 22 mpg. I get on it once in a while but mostly keep it at 60 for my 35 mile one way commute to work.
I'm filling up just as much as I did with the Explorer I had previous.
I drove home yesterday with a steady 20 mph tail wind and was getting 27 mpg, lol. The Bronco failed the wind tunnel aerodynamics test for sure!!

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also have a 2 door Base with the 2.7, I put 33's on it and this summer I was pushing 23 mpg. Winter and am still getting shy of 22 mpg. I get on it once in a while but mostly keep it at 60 for my 35 mile one way commute to work.
I'm filling up just as much as I did with the Explorer I had previous.
I drove home yesterday with a steady 20 mph tail wind and was getting 27 mpg, lol. The Bronco failed the wind tunnel aerodynamics test for sure!!
Base with the open rear diff? or with the Sasquatch package?

Having the 3.73 rear diff will greatly affect the highway cruising mpg vs. 4.7 gearing of the Sasquatch.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Base with the open rear diff? or with the Sasquatch package?

Having the 3.73 rear diff will greatly affect the highway cruising mpg vs. 4.7 gearing of the Sasquatch.
3.73's I wish Ford would have offered the 3.73 locking diff like on the F150.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have few things that sort of make who makes what irrelevant (and I suspect that you might have at least a few of them too). I have a plasma cutter, a TIG welder, and a bunch of stainless steel (although initially intended for the F355). It's a little more work to roll your own, but it's totally doable. I also have some friends that weld much better than I do in Spring Branch... All we need to do is tack it up.
Wish I had a mandrel bender to use, I'd be cranking out all sorts of good stuff.
I also have a TIG on order, no idea when I'll get it though. Should be able to fabricate a form fitting fuel cell without too much fuss.

Have you done anything to your exhaust yet?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm trying to squeeze this in the rear where muffler was. Then I can make a high -clearance tank for the OEM location. Hopefully 25+ gallon with both.

I don't run a muffler. But if I did I would buy the magnaflow mini.
20230302_211950.jpg

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Maybe @flip could help give us the part numbers of the doodads needed on the top of the OEM tank? Probably a carbon filter box, rollover valve, sending unit, fuel pump, ect... so these parts could be replicated on a 2nd tank...and throw no codes and function safely too.
Sponsored