Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Different strokes for different folks! I personally prefer not to have to stop for fuel every 3 to 4 hours. Thank you for contributing.
There are a lot of places here in Idaho where you may be 100 miles from a station as the crow flies but you better be prepared for a significantly longer trip if you are on the ground.
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I wouldn't worry about it. there will be a town with a gas station from where you start the adventure (off-road-ing), make sure sure top it off.

I have been carrying a 8 gallon can on the side. yet to use it :( so far driven 26K miles in 22 Badlands.
You are obviously not from here....

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are a lot of places here in Idaho where you may be 100 miles from a station as the crow flies but you better be prepared for a significantly longer trip if you are on the ground.
Please name a few of them. The furthest I've ever been from gas is 60 miles, and that was in Jarbidge Nevada (close to Idaho). (Except that they had $8 a gallon gas available there.) I can't think of anywhere in the southern half of the state where you're even 50 miles from a source of gasoline.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Duel tanks?

Spelling word of the day: dual.

If I ever decide to do a trip where I might need a lot more gas, I plan to bring a couple of 5 gallon jerry cans and carry them on a rack on the roof. Yeah, it will be a bit more top-heavy, but I won't worry about that as long as I'm not getting any big lean angles.

There really isn't a place to put a bigger tank unless it's inside or hanging somewhere outside.
There actually a huge area underneath if you do a muffler delete 🤔

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Please name a few of them. The furthest I've ever been from gas is 60 miles, and that was in Jarbidge Nevada (close to Idaho). (Except that they had $8 a gallon gas available there.) I can't think of anywhere in the southern half of the state where you're even 50 miles from a source of gasoline.
How about the central mountains.... Head to Fairfield and take a left.... Yes you can run most of the runs and make it back out to a gas station but if you want to take a couple of the runs you have to head back out, fill up, then run back in. I ran Bruneau Canyon back in the early 90's, Very short run but took all day and we burned up an entire tank of gas. Had to go to my cans. I have had to go to my cans many times circling the White clouds. Up North, Lots and lots of runs that you can go several hundred miles without any stations... Yes you can leave the trail go out and fill up.... but with extra gas you do not have to take the extra 40 mile round trip to fill up. Can you do it? yea.... but do you want to? why?

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Typical 6G. Guy comes here with a question or problem and it’s bitchy girls screaming at a white cat why he’s never gonna be more than 50 miles from fuel, and he’s stupid for asking.

Fifty or a hundred miles between stops is no big deal when you are running point to point. It gets tricky when your base camp is 50 (mine’s actually 62) miles from fuel AND there’s some sort of towable involved. You’re potentially down to 3/4 of a four door tank before your campsite is even setup. How many gallons do you need to have to get back to town? How many gallons do you need to get back to camp? you’re always behind and always wish you had more.

HOW MUCH FUEL DO YOU NEED!!! The white cat responds “More than 20 f’ing gallons; thanks for asking.”

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
We are just now looking into providing this setup as a package. Stay tuned! Where are you located?
Keep us updated! I'm a little south of you, might be interested also. So does the filler neck feed the auxiliary tank and then the auxiliary tank gravity feeds the main tank or do you have an inline pump? Guess none of this is technically is gonna be carb legal but definitely cool setup.

xcpatrl

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for your interest. The filler neck does feed the auxiliary tank and then the auxiliary tank gravity feeds the main tank. No inline pump is necessary. I really like having the additional range but the filling process is slower than I would like. I may use a larger auxiliary tank vent hose to see if that helps but won’t get on that until after the holidays. Stay tuned!

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What bumper are you running? I'm having a difficult time finding a bumper with a spare tire swing arm AND which can accomodate a MFC.

thanks,
Herb
Expedition One 🤠

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you know where the gas station is... I was in the sanrafeal swell camping. Had used more gas then anticipated. Where I knew there was gas was going to add about 90 minutes to my drive home. Where I thought there was a station was essentially on the way home so that's the way I went. There was no gas station there, fuck...

Made it to next station, barely. But the stress sucked. If I was alone it wouldn't have been bad but with the wife and 2 kids under 8 it sucked.

Maybe finding gas in this gps era is better along with improved cell service, but back then,in that area, cell was nonexistent...

I would have loved a 2 gallon can.

After that we always filled up before we left the beaten path. Occasionally it seemed silly putting in a couple gallons but I never wanted that stress again.

Last edited:

Tooold

Base
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 FB, transit awd duel sider, flex 3.5L, BaseManS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess I'm the rare bird. I want a smaller gas tank. As in more ground clearance. I also noticed all that space if the muffler is reworked. I was hoping someone would come out with an auxiliary tank to compensate for a redisinged main tank and skid....and some magic wand work on those lower control arm mounts would be nice too.

Of course this may cause the "Pinto Problem".

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I was heading to Moab for Off-Rodeo just before Thanksgiving.

There's a long stretch on I-80 heading East in Utah before you turn off where there's a whole lot of nothing but scenery. Moab is about an hour off the interstate there, and the signs warn you heading out of Moab - Next Services - 100miles (or so, I can't exactly remember).

So heading into Moab, I had stopped somewhere about 2-3 hours before arrival on I-80 in Utah to fill up. I would believe it was that "100 miles" station, as I didn't see a whole lot of anything else until I got into Moab itself. Got to the hotel in Moab with a bit over half a tank of gas. 230 miles to E, the Bronco said.

With that, heading home I think - well, I filled up about 2 hours outside of Moab, this sign says next service in 100 miles, I'm over half a tank and my Bronco thinks it has 230 miles to E. I'm good to get gas at the same spot I had filled up on the way in.

So, what I didn't account for. The speed limit on the I-80 there is in fact 80 MPH. And that night a storm was blowing through. There's a lot of elevation change in that stretch, and the headwind was so bad that I was running just 60MPH, and there were spots where I had to downshift going downhill just to keep that speed up. It was severe.

So, to shorten up an already long story - I rolled into the gas station with 16 miles to E. The fill-up was 20.9 gallons. I had warnings at both 50 miles and 25 miles. At the 50 mile point, Apple Carplay automatically tried to route me to the next gas station, which was "21 miles" and the same one I did end up getting to - but the head wind was so bad that it just took that much to get there.

There are a lot of things that can affect your range that you may not think about, and being shaped like a brick certainly exaggerates those.

OP
OP
jon

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I was heading to Moab for Off-Rodeo just before Thanksgiving.

There's a long stretch on I-80 heading East in Utah before you turn off where there's a whole lot of nothing but scenery. Moab is about an hour off the interstate there, and the signs warn you heading out of Moab - Next Services - 100miles (or so, I can't exactly remember).

So heading into Moab, I had stopped somewhere about 2-3 hours before arrival on I-80 in Utah to fill up. I would believe it was that "100 miles" station, as I didn't see a whole lot of anything else until I got into Moab itself. Got to the hotel in Moab with a bit over half a tank of gas. 230 miles to E, the Bronco said.

With that, heading home I think - well, I filled up about 2 hours outside of Moab, this sign says next service in 100 miles, I'm over half a tank and my Bronco thinks it has 230 miles to E. I'm good to get gas at the same spot I had filled up on the way in.

So, what I didn't account for. The speed limit on the I-80 there is in fact 80 MPH. And that night a storm was blowing through. There's a lot of elevation change in that stretch, and the headwind was so bad that I was running just 60MPH, and there were spots where I had to downshift going downhill just to keep that speed up. It was severe.

So, to shorten up an already long story - I rolled into the gas station with 16 miles to E. The fill-up was 20.9 gallons. I had warnings at both 50 miles and 25 miles. At the 50 mile point, Apple Carplay automatically tried to route me to the next gas station, which was "21 miles" and the same one I did end up getting to - but the head wind was so bad that it just took that much to get there.

There are a lot of things that can affect your range that you may not think about, and being shaped like a brick certainly exaggerates those.
I love that area of Utah, but if you also like to offroad in that area and are not traveling on the highway then you are in for trail side begging for gas too!

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BroncoG6 Auxiliary Fuel Cell

After installing a RTR High Clearance Cat-Back Exhaust on my 2023 2-door Bronco Badlands I noticed a new voided space where the original muffler was. It got me thinking about how an auxiliary fuel tank might be able to be installed in that space to supplement the dismal 16.8-gallon original fuel tank. I soon found out that there were no products presently on the market. After months of designing and R&D, this past week I finally installed a 9+ gallon aluminum passthrough fuel cell and skid plate. The fuel cell was constructed by a local commercial welding company out of 3/16“aluminum with AN fittings for hose connections. The skid plate was constructed by a fabricator friend, using a cardboard template that I provided, out of 1/4“steel plate which was powder coated. The fuel cell is vented to the original filler pipe keeping the EVAP system functional and rollover safe. The skid plate not only protects the fuel cell, it also increases the integrity of the rear portion of the chassis. Besides the numerous hours of R&D, I’ve spent close to 6K for production and supplies. I am very satisfied with the results. At 17 MPH the range of my Bronco is now about 460 miles compared to the original 285-mile range. You can see by the accompanying photos that the fuel cell is tucked up above the rear bumper and improves the departure angle compared to having the original muffler. My fabricator friend and I are discussing making this design available commercially at possibly a lower price point. Stay tuned!

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5678.jpg
Ok, I’ll bite. I want this.
Sponsored