First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been busy with the holidays and out of town guest and have not been able to think about putting a kit together. At this point I have no idea what a kit would cost but the setup is working flawless except for slower fuel filling. I will be attending King of Hammers at the Bronco Basecamp from 1/30-2/3 if you want to take a look.
Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
And when was it that you were getting gas at $2.50 a gallon? HHmmmm?
He’s at a grocery store fueling station. They have a points system. Using the credit card associated with the grocery chain can get you up to an additional $.25 off per gallon up to 35 gallons. We arrive as a family and use all 35 gallons. That’s approximately $43 savings per week. We use a cash back credit card to purchase gift cards to “pump” up the points balance. I expect them to meet us at the pump one day and kick us outa the club.

1. Obtain Grocery Store Credit Card
2. Obtain grocery club card and link to above credit account
3. Use another cash back card to buy gift cards (Lowe’s, Home Depot, Amazon, fast food) on points multiplier days.
4. Use the grocery credit card to buy fuel.
5. The family that fuels together stays together.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Should invent a gas can that will bolt up to the spare tire carrier..replacing the tire. Could have a hose to go to the fuel door. You wouldn't have a spare tire but you could throw it on the roof rack if needed.
Also a small pump in the hose ..maybe battery powered.
Paul in AZ
There’s a guy in the local club that runs dual swing outs, with gas cans on the driver side. He swings the fuel out and uses the D Cell powered pump (Amazon) to get the fuel into the Bronco. His bumper was something like $4k, however.

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe contact these guys to see if they'll have a larger fuel tank for the Bronco.
https://exitoffroad.com/product/ford-ranger-long-range-replacement-fuel-tank-37-gallons/
I did email them, won’t fit...:
Subject: Re: Contact Us: Ranger larger gas tank for Bronco
Date:
January 17, 2024 at 6:13:42 AM PST
Hi Jeff

No it won't. The area that the body and frame place the tank is different.

Thanks,

Mike Tomczyk

Exit Offroad

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I can carry two six-gal fuel cans. Generally, my entry points into the hinterlands is an hour or more from the nearest gas station. All the fuel I burn to get to that entrance I top off from the first can. Often, the first can is emptied. I stash that can off pavement for later retrieval (yes, complicates routing a bit). What happens with the next can depends on my off-road routing. If possible, I stash that as well, but that doesn't always work.
Cheers - Jon

Sponsored

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did email them, won’t fit...:
Yes but get a hold of who the supplier is in Australia where the tank is made. Maybe they have a project underway.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes but get a hold of who the supplier is in Australia where the tank is made. Maybe they have a project underway.
Yeah, but I don't think the Bronco is being sold down under.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What does everyone think the possibilities are of someone making a bigger tank to completely replace the stock one, rather than using cans or an add-on tank?

Outbound Exploration

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Sonic Hatchback RS, Looking to upgrade to Bronco*
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been busy with the holidays and out of town guest and have not been able to think about putting a kit together. At this point I have no idea what a kit would cost but the setup is working flawless except for slower fuel filling. I will be attending King of Hammers at the Bronco Basecamp from 1/30-2/3 if you want to take a look.
All good! #sendit when you're back and put it together. I'm sure these will sell like hotcakes!

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Lose the muffler and you will have a little space for a custom built tank. Don't forget to change the springs to handle the extra weight.
Gas is around 6lbs a gallon so an extra 4 gallons @24 lbs would likely be ok on stock suspension. Unless you're packing for a big trip. I'd guess most folks hauling a lot of overloading gear would likely have suspension upgrades in place already.

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a feeling we will be seeing this on the market soon…

D3DBE8A3-BFFC-4172-A768-31723FEF0D7F.jpeg

AE62AECC-9767-442A-9D61-7CE55EAFBF09.png

rkymtn

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for your interest. The filler neck does feed the auxiliary tank and then the auxiliary tank gravity feeds the main tank. No inline pump is necessary. I really like having the additional range but the filling process is slower than I would like. I may use a larger auxiliary tank vent hose to see if that helps but won’t get on that until after the holidays. Stay tuned!

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What does everyone think the possibilities are of someone making a bigger tank to completely replace the stock one, rather than using cans or an add-on tank?
Unlikely, given space constraints. Any extra volume would extend lower to the ground and reduce some ground clearance.

OP
OP
jon

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unlikely, given space constraints. Any extra volume would extend lower to the ground and reduce some ground clearance.
That is exactly how you can justify yourself "needing" to invest in a bigger lift!

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
And I've NEVER found that to be the case. I've run a few motorcycles completely empty and managed to do that to my Mustang once as well. When filling those back up all were within about 0.1 of stated capacity.

Showing "completely empty" has never been all the way empty, though, for anything that I've owned. Stated fuel tank capacity does not generally match where the fuel gauge shows empty.
So you are saying that maybe Ford is inaccurate with their designed capacity? The tank holds x amount..... Your reserve is when the gage tells you it is empty BEFORE the designed capacity is exhausted. For example my Bronco has a design capacity of 16.6 gallons... My gage hits empty when I have used approximately 15.1 gallons and I have a reserve of 1.5 gallons....

Now if a pump reads that it has pumped 19 gallons into my tank... you are telling me that somehow that extra 2.4 gallons is hiding in a broken evap system???? Or that Ford just miscalculated the capacity????

Which is actually more logical here? Sorry the evap is not going to hold 0.5 gallons let alone 2.4.... Even if you could get the gas to enter the evap system. But you go ahead and trust those pumps.... I would agree most are correct (at least close to) but many are off... That is actually a very high probability. Do you own a torque wrench? have you ever had to have it recalibrated? They need to be recalibrated... They slowly will get off calibration over time with use.... It is a fact. Pumps are even more vulnerable to miscalibration given the number of parts and variations in the electric grid that can cause the motor to vary....

Occam's Razor
I was reminded of this discussion when I just recently ran my Bronco precisely to 0 miles remaining. I filled up 20.95 gal (stated tank capacity is 20.8 gal). That is less than 1% difference. More importantly, I found this thread here on B6g where:
  1. Someone filled up their 4Dr with 21.5 gal
  2. Another fellow got 40 miles (of mellow driving) following the 0 miles to empty warning.
These together indicate anywhere between 3/4 - 2 gal of "reserve" capacity in the tank beyond the stated capacity from Ford, precisely as I suggested is likely the case prior in this thread.

I'm awaiting a precisely metered fill after running completely dry to avoid all of the cheating gas pumps everywhere that confound any understanding of this issue...
Sponsored