Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The originals had 15 and 10, the newer ones 12 and 10 and got maybe 10 mpg, so not great range. Now my 20 mpg Bronco Iis with a nicely tucked away 23 gallon tank were nice. The hangy down midships tank is the worst feature of the 6g, any bigger would just aggravate the issue.
I actually looked for a bronco 2 tank, lol...those were great. The ford team that built the 6G tank and crossmember must have have thought subaroo ground clearance was plenty...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The issue I'm running into with moving a compact muffler underneath the driver seat is the exit...Texas requires the exit to be at least out from underneath the body. So that means I still have to route the pipe to the bumper, or figure out some way to do a side exit without losing too much ground clearance. Running to the bumper means I lose some space where a fuel tank could go and might interfere with future suspension upgrades. If I extended the skid portion of the rear lower link frame mount a bit further forward, I could cut an exhaust sized hole in it, then route the pipe through the rear part of a slider. Exhaust would be protected and TXDOT legal...but damn, I'm not ready to give up the clearance it currently has to do it. I'd like to run longer arms on the rear, so I really don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe say the hell with it and have a slip on tailpipe that makes me legal for inspection so I can remove it when I get back home LOL

It might just be less hassle to make the rear tank a simple transfer tank that pumps fuel into the OEM tank when you start getting low, just flip a switch and transfer the fuel over. It would probably still work the same with an extended range tank if someone like LRA made them later on. The benefit there is that it's out of the evap and electronics loop, so you wouldn't have to worry about throwing up codes messing with the OEM evap system or finding a place to put all that crap. You'd have to add a second filler neck next to the OEM filler...there's not a whole lot of room in there for it but might be possible. Makes me wonder if you could just tee off the filler neck to both tanks without running into flow issues. Whichever tank filled up first would simply divert fuel into the other tank, and both tanks could share the same vent line. That would put you back into the evap loop, but as long as the tank is fully sealed and vented with the OEM tank it shouldn't be a problem.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't want to bore you with prices on this stuff but you're easily into $2K and these are just the bigger items.

We had the tank for the '76 bronco we restored done by Aero Tank Enterprises in San Bernardino, CA who built the tank around the pump from the 2001 explorer we used as a powertrain donor.

MB3Z-9D653-C Canister
MB3Z-9D333-A Solenoid
MB3Z-9G271-A Tube
MB3Z-9J279-A Tube assembly
MB3Z-9H307-E Pump and sender
MB3Z-14407-B or N2DZ-14407-B jumper harness
GR2Z-9C385-A pump locking ring
MB3Z-9C318-B in tank tube

Not finding the two vent/rollover valves it shows in the pics, might only service with the tank itself.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Bronco- small gas tank annoying? 1677846313799

Ford Bronco 2 Door Bronco- small gas tank annoying? 1677846360943

Ford Bronco 2 Door Bronco- small gas tank annoying? 1677846400781

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Don't want to bore you with prices on this stuff but you're easily into $2K and these are just the bigger items.

We had the tank for the '76 bronco we restored done by Aero Tank Enterprises in San Bernardino, CA who built the tank around the pump from the 2001 explorer we used as a powertrain donor.

MB3Z-9D653-C Canister
MB3Z-9D333-A Solenoid
MB3Z-9G271-A Tube
MB3Z-9J279-A Tube assembly
MB3Z-9H307-E Pump and sender
MB3Z-14407-B or N2DZ-14407-B jumper harness
GR2Z-9C385-A pump locking ring
MB3Z-9C318-B in tank tube

Not finding the two vent/rollover valves it shows in the pics, might only service with the tank itself.

Thank you!!! Wow I knew there was a bunch of stuff to deal with on top of the tank, but this would be a serious undertaking.

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
i seem to get about 300 miles on a tank or at least that's what it says when full. That isn't horrible i guess. my other car is a redeye hellcat which only gets about 200 miles / tank so this is an improvement.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i seem to get about 300 miles on a tank or at least that's what it says when full. That isn't horrible i guess. my other car is a redeye hellcat which only gets about 200 miles / tank so this is an improvement.
I'd try to find a donor to scavenge from rather than buying and butchering a bunch of new stuff.

STX Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SuperCrew 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone looked to see if there is any mods you can make to fit a 4D tank under there?

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Our bladders (2 people and 2 dogs) can't rarely take more than 200 miles of travel before stopping.

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Our bladders (2 people and 2 dogs) can't rarely take more than 200 miles of travel before stopping.
That reminds me of what I used to say about my 2015 JK on 35's. When asked about the ride quality and range I'd say that I can go 250 miles on a tank but I have to stop and pee some blood every 200.

It wasn't that brutal, but even though we loved the way it looked, ride and handling are reasons we let it go.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Highway driving is no problem with a little tank for me, it's not having enough fuel offroad that's the problem I get into. With ideal conditions, you might be seeing 10mpg if you're actually offroad, half that if you're doing more technical stuff. 17gal doesn't last very long with those numbers.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yeah I'm more interested in the ground clearance gained instead of the gallons gained

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone else find the small gas tank on the 2 door annoying? For those of you that take it on trips you have to gas it up so often, do you take extra gas cans? This is my main annoying thing about the Bronco for me.

I take my Bronco to work once in a while and I have a 70 mile round trip commute. Every other day I have to gas up as it's down to around 1/2 tank. I usually gas up at 1/2 tank in all of my vehicles as I keep them in storage when they are not being driven. (I don't drive the Bronco a lot as my work commuter mainly due to this and the MPG). It just a habit maybe from hurricanes down here and I don't ever want to be left scrambling for gas last minute. Anyway, I find I am gassing the Bronco up pretty much every other day. I had a 2019 Silverado LD before the Bronco and I could go 4 days. Better MPG and much bigger tank. And my daily driver 2019 VW Jetta I can easily go over a week. I have a whopping 700+ mile range when I fill it up.

Next summer we are going to take the Bronco in the Georgia and Tennessee mountains for a couple of weeks. It's going to be a lot of stops for gas but doable I suppose.
Have driven from South Florida Treasure Coast to GA and NC Smokey Mountains getting 21 mpg so it wasn’t too bad. Like you, I drive on the top half of the tank so I did stop an extra time or two each way. But driving the Bronco in the mountains made it all worth the extra stops.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was gonna comment, but now I gotta research this Bronco 2 gas tank thing.

I get 250ish a tank, but I gotta lead foot, never use 6th and keep it in sport
Sponsored