Sponsored

Which grade / octane gas do you use in your Bronco?

Which grade has do you use in your Bronco?

• Total voters

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ill use 93 octane in January 2025

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That tiny little bit of lower octane fuel would make absolutely no difference at all, unless you’re filling the tank less than 1 gallon at a time. The octane rating is typically slightly higher then advertised anyway.
Credentials? Are you in the gasoline chemistry business? How would you know that a quart or so of contamination (lower grade fuel) was not an issue???? Just trust us??

A tiny bit of contamination in many industries is a huge issue….

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Credentials? Are you in the gasoline chemistry business? How would you know that a quart or so of contamination (lower grade fuel) was not an issue???? Just trust us??

I guess my main credentials are just common knowledge. This isn’t something you need to be a chemist to understand.

Just because it’s a different octane rating doesn’t make it “contaminated”, that’s just not how gasoline works. You can mix 87, 91, 93, it makes no difference, other than lowering the octane level depending on the mixture. It’s pretty obvious that ~1 quart of 87, in 16-18 gallons of 93 isn’t going to drop your overall octane rating by any measurable amount, therefore whatever is in the lines from the previous person, won’t make a single bit of difference. You’re still going to have at minimum, 93 octane.

You’re welcome to do you’re own research if you don’t trust me.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess my main credentials are just common knowledge. This isn’t something you need to be a chemist to understand.

Just because it’s a different octane rating doesn’t make it “contaminated”, that’s just not how gasoline works. You can mix 87, 91, 93, it makes no difference, other than lowering the octane level depending on the mixture. It’s pretty obvious that ~1 quart of 87, in 16-18 gallons of 93 isn’t going to drop your overall octane rating by any measurable amount, therefore whatever is in the lines from the previous person, won’t make a single bit of difference. You’re still going to have at minimum, 93 octane.

[/

Thanks for your reply.

Based on my industrial experience, I‘m not sure you‘re correct, but we all have our opinions which is good. Though I’ve been on a refinery project, I’m sorry I never got into a serious discussion with the refinery engineers regarding octane and how carefully they isolate their products.

Good luck to you.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The small amount of fuel in the hose and nozzle have absolutely no impact on the impact of the quality of fuel in your tank. The gas station pump, hose and piping contain about 1/3 gallon of residual fuel. If you are purchasing more than 4 or 5 gallons, you are going to have the full rating of what you're paying for.

Regarding the blending in your Bronco's tank of multiple grades, that is not any different than the blending you might get at the pump if you choose a "midgrade" product. There have been some premium grades marketed by companies like BP (Ultimate Premium) which have even more or different detergent additives than their lesser grades.

"Top Tier" gasoline simply has more detergent additive than is require by Federal Law (EPA) (usually double the minimum federal requirement). Some major oil companies have their own proprietary additives that are superior to the additives mandated by the EPA.

I started putting 91 in my Bronco 2.3L on the first tank. The 30 more horsepower when using premium is noticeable. It is a money losing action to buy 91 ($0.40 to $0.60 more per gallon than 87) when you look at $ spent at the pump and only a slight improvement in fuel economy.

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Mustang,'08 Honda Civic,'03 15hh QH Paint mare
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Paying 50 cents or a 1.00 more for Premium negates your better mileage. Pay less with 87 and call it even. It's a wash. FYI I get 20.5 MPG running 87 on my 2.3L MT.
Yes, here in NorCal, the difference is only 10¢/gal. On our trip to the desert, I wanted the psychological edge of being able to have more mileage in between what I imagined were widely spaced gas stations. And we had made the decision not to carry a 5-gal spare jug.

My perhaps irrational thinking was influenced by the fact that a couple of weeks before we went on the road, an elderly couple (not all that much older than us) died in and on their car--the man leaning on the steering wheel, the woman propped up against the rear tire, no signs of CO--in the exact place we were going to. A couple of months ago, a man died near there (Death Valley) having run out of gas. I was carrying the specter of Death by Low Octane.

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Top Tier Premium in the tank of my BB w/2.3L (fill up at Costco mostly)

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just curious what everyone’s using. Also, can you just switch from one to the other whenever you want?
Where are the choices of 85 Octane, 93 octane, and E30?

I have run everything from 85 to E30 (70% 93 Octane and 30% E85). E30 gives the best performance, 93 octane is decent, 90 Octane ethanol free seems to give the best mileage, it's like uncut cocaine for your Bronco.

E30 will decrease mileage about 20-30%, Ethanol Free seems to help between 5-10% on mileage.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Personally going to do mid-grade most of the time. When I go on trips I’ll switch to premium.

Yeah…….. different states have different standards for octane ratings. If you live near the Rocky Mountains, for example, you might find 85 as the “regular” fuel.

In my home state (AZ) it is 87/89/91 and occasionally you’ll find 93 labeled as “ultra-premium”. My current state (CT) as 87/89/93. My brother who previously lived in Wyoming had 85/88/91. Cousin in Alaska has 87/88/90.

Good to know… especially for those who go on vacation in Colorado and other states near the Rockies. 85 octane isnt going to make a turbocharged engine very happy,
The Bronco runs fine on 85 Octane in Colorado.

Ford Bronco Which grade / octane gas do you use in your Bronco? IMG_20221009_115533

Even at 14,150 feet ASL.

Ford Bronco Which grade / octane gas do you use in your Bronco? IMG_20221009_115441

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you pump a half tank of 89 and half tank of 93, will the computer detect ~91 and run with the premium tune? I know nothing about fluids and octane and such
That's not how it works, the computer relies on the knock sensor and O2 sensor to adjust timing for maximum power.

No knock/pre-ignition, it advances the timing. If it detects pre-ignition or threshold of pre-ignition, it retards the timing. It is almost always trying to learn, except under open loop conditions.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use mid grade 89 octane- there is no choice for it in the poll. At most stations near me the choice is 87, 89 or 93. It's quite a jump from 87 to 89- like .50 or more a gallon. And 93 too much of a jump over regular for me to pay. I am getting over 22 MPG average using 89 octane. I'm afraid of getting in the teens if I switch to 87.