JeebusCripes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 M998, ā€˜89 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Owned my Jeep for 10 years now, never even a chip. 117 miles on Bronco and I'd swear it was a pebble (the size of 5 grains of dirt) hit the windshield and chipped it. So small it exploded on the glass. Only reason I noticed was the remnants of the dust. Left a needle point sized defection on the glass, so got it repaired the next day. I will never mow grass around this thing. Grass clippings could take it out easily and that's only a half tongue in cheek joke. Honestly, anything more than a grain of sand should be a concern.
My 2002 was fine but I had a few YJs that seemed to collect them. Regardless this bronco glass is so wimpy.
Sponsored

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought the factory option hood lip with the raised hump. Stops nearly everything from reaching the windshield. WAY more effective than I imagined....
Really? I have it too and it has only slightly reduced the number of bugs that hit the windshield.

BroncoWTFAN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE FE & BL SAS 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I FINALLY took delivery of my Bronco last week and reading up on all the windshield issues I was dreading driving this thing on the highway. We took it to work on Monday, first time, and on the way inā€¦SMACKā€¦I heard it and thought sonofabish I canā€™t get to work one day without a hit? I checked and it looks like i took a rock hit about 1/4ā€ away from the edge of the glass!

Weā€™ll I was like nope not gonna keep playing this game, yea I have good insurance and it covers rock chips/cracks 100% but not worth the hassle. Went ahead and bought the windshield film from Targe, gonna give it a try. Could totally be wasting my money, falling for the good olā€™ snake oilā€¦but I figure Iā€™d try! Fingers crossed!
I am going next week to get it professionally done, I had it done on my Ford Mach-E and love it. However it's not perfect in terms of clarity, not bad but noticeable at first. Note that it still can take damage or tear with strong hits. Also your wipers can scratch the film if not totally clean. The one thing I will would caution is the DYI portion, it's not like installing a screen protector on a phone. It takes practice to get right without bubbles, dust or stretch / placement issues.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Really? I have it too and it has only slightly reduced the number of bugs that hit the windshield.
Yea I was going to put it on yesterday, got the hood cleaned and everything then noticed you have to give it 24 hours to cure before driving it, so its going to have to wait till this weekend.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

snake oil
I know right!!! I just canā€™t help it, if itā€™ll work even a little bit then fine, hate having to deal with getting it repaired/replaced. If I got suckered for $200 oh well, maybe next time Iā€™ll learn.

Sponsored
OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am going next week to get it professionally done, I had it done on my Ford Mach-E and love it. However it's not perfect in terms of clarity, not bad but noticeable at first. Note that it still can take damage or tear with strong hits. Also your wipers can scratch the film if not totally clean. The one thing I will would caution is the DYI portion, it's not like installing a screen protector on a phone. It takes practice to get right without bubbles, dust or stretch / placement issues.
Yea I thought the same, but man $500 to get it done at the shop vs $200 doing it myself, may just be a $200 lesson i learn the hard way but Iā€™m willing to take that hit! Lol

BroncoWTFAN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE FE & BL SAS 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea I thought the same, but man $500 to get it done at the shop vs $200 doing it myself, may just be a $200 lesson i learn the hard way but Iā€™m willing to take that hit! Lol
I was quoted $250 clearplex and $350 ExoShield at two pro shops. Guess that depends on where you live etc. Either way good luck and post results, another member did it on their own and it turned out fine.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was quoted $250 clearplex and $350 ExoShield at two pro shops. Guess that depends on where you live etc. Either way good luck and post results, another member did it on their own and it turned out fine.
Yea the shop I got quoted from does a lot of high-end cars and weā€™ve used them for all of our tint so they do an awesome job, probably why their price is higher too. But yea for $350 Iā€™d swing thatā€¦but Iā€™d have to find a shop I trust. Iā€™ll just give this one the good olā€™ $200 try and cross my fingers.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the hood lip as some are calling it and the clear plex... 4-5 obvious hits... 2 before the lip install.

Note that you may have hundreds of water drops after you install that, they will dry up in a few days. So don't freak out.

JohnG

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 dr Basesquatch, 2022 2 dr Base 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Took a rock chip in week 2, then another bigger rock hit 7 months later that split the glass side to side. $1300 for a new windshield, make sure you kids have full insurance for that thing!

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was another post on this. The DIY option was a little over $200. My deductable is $100. I can put two windshields for that. I think I saw higher prices in this thread.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There was another post on this. The DIY option was a little over $200. My deductable is $100. I can put two windshields for that. I think I saw higher prices in this thread.
Yea and I totally get that, my deductible is also $100 but when you take into consideration I have to burn my free time to get it taken care of and all the stuff that goes along with it (filing a claim), not worth it to me. Iā€™d just rather slap on the film and hope it can handle all the little stuff that gets thrown at it. Donā€™t know if its just cause Iā€™m too lazy to deal with it or what.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea and I totally get that, my deductible is also $100 but when you take into consideration I have to burn my free time to get it taken care of and all the stuff that goes along with it (filing a claim), not worth it to me. Iā€™d just rather slap on the film and hope it can handle all the little stuff that gets thrown at it. Donā€™t know if its just cause Iā€™m too lazy to deal with it or what.
Just replaced the windshild on my F-150. took 20 minutes to get the order placed. They came to my house, which took about 1.5 hrs to replace, my 2 hrs.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just replaced the windshild on my F-150. took 20 minutes to get the order placed. They came to my house, which took about 1.5 hrs to replace, my 2 hrs.
Oh wow! I wonder if the Bronco glass is still on back order. Iā€™ve heard some people say they had no issues getting it, others said it took them weeks to get.

BroncoWTFAN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE FE & BL SAS 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh wow! I wonder if the Bronco glass is still on back order. Iā€™ve heard some people say they had no issues getting it, others said it took them weeks to get.
I think that is just it, if I can avoid the wait and potential rates increases this approach makes sense. Personally I have OCD's with windshields, this approach takes care of it.
Sponsored