Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Two words, Following Distance.

I have a 2017 Ford F-250 with original glass. My wife's Explorer was bought the same day in November of 2017. She has probably replaced her's 5 times now. When I ride with her, she is too close to the car in front of her. No issues with my Bronco windshield yet...
Mostly, but there are off-chance chips. My first chip came on a highway when I just passed a car in the left lane, no cars ahead of us for at least 50 feet, then it hit. Can only assume it came from the opposite side of the highway.
Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mostly, but there are off-chance chips. My first chip came on a highway when I just passed a car in the left lane, no cars ahead of us for at least 50 feet, then it hit. Can only assume it came from the opposite side of the highway.
True! I was in my work truck and no cars in front of me for at least a quarter mile and whack, a rock the size of a large marble hit the windshield. Still dumbfounded on that one...

I still believe that most rock hits to the windshield is primarily from driving too close to the cars ahead...

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I really try to avoid following too closely to dump trucks or other vehicles with rocks and dirt etc from being off road. Guess that includes Bronco’s but for some reason I seem to be attracted to those! :cool:

Fly2Win

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 SD, 68 Firebird, 85 300ZX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Got my first chip not ten minutes after picking it up when a soccer mom blew by me at 60+ in a 40 construction zone…

EXO Shield sounds interesting.

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford sells a "day of purchase" glass warranty. Its not part of their Premium Care. Its a separate policy. Free replacement for 7 years.
Not sure if there is a way to mitigate the actual day to day driving damage. But, there is a way to mitigate the cost of replacement. Sounds like glass chips and cracks are a forgone conclusion... (They were on my Jeep)

Things I'll need to consider:
- Price of the Ford Glass Warranty
- versus my insurance deductible
- versus the cash price for a Bronco windshield (hearing about $900)
- versus what my state insurance policy is. (When I was a youth in Florida, windshield replacement had zero deductible. The Florida Insurance Regulatory Agency mandated that a broken windshield was a safety issue and must be repaired for zero cost. I think that law has since changed and I don't live in Floridah any longer...)

The roads around me are what's called Chipseal. Even nice Sunday drives like the Blue Ridge Parkway are chipseal or chipfog, et al. You can have rocks launched at you from traffic going in either direction. Yes, tires can pickup a rock and throw it forward on the rotation of the tire. Give wide tired mall-crawler redneck trucks plenty of space as their fenders don't completely cover their tires.

Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Try not to be behind semis/lifted/dirty trucks especially without flaps. Try not to be behind anybody near or at an OHV area. If you must be behind someone in either situation, don’t follow close.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
i'm adding the deflector. it's been give or take on how effective it really is, assume it helps a little.

exoshield is probably the best option.

haven't heard of anything else.
I bought a diy kit from www.grab-gard.com. Took me under and hour to put it on.

Another guy on here was saying his exoshield started to fail after only 6 months, so I'm glad I didn't go with that.
Sponsored