Sponsored

Is "marine grade" vinyl interior any different from vinyl of the past?

Nomadin

Base
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a 1991 Wrangler Islander with a vinyl interior. I loved that Jeep, but the interior was really hot. I had to keep towels in the vehicle to put under my legs when I wore shorts so I wouldn't sweat all over the place. Has anything changed since then? Is a "marine grade" vinyl interior a different vinyl?

I am still weighing the differences between Base and Black Diamond. I love the idea of an easy to clean and maintain interior, but comfort and price might win out.
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

May be a little different but will still get hot the same way that leather does. Cloth will be the best for staying cool... anything else will get hot. With that said I’m still 100% buying vinyl for waterproof characteristics. I don’t mind a little burn on my bum from the heat once in a while?

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wrangler, BMW 3 series
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think that's only an issue if you're leaving the car outside with the top off for awhile. I had a convertible with tan leather seats and never had a problem just driving around in the sun.

Sponsored

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it’s just the normal “faux leather” vinyl that a lot of other auto makers like Lexus have been using, and that the “marine grade” term has to do with the stitching/seams being different so that water doesn’t get inside of the seat and start to stink, etc. but this is 100% a guess. ?

DrKennethNoisewater

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 razor scooter
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it’s just the normal “faux leather” vinyl that a lot of other auto makers like Lexus have been using, and that the “marine grade” term has to do with the stitching/seams being different so that water doesn’t get inside of the seat and start to stink, etc. but this is 100% a guess. ?
Yep. The word "vinyl" conjures up memories of crappy old 80s cars, but really it's just synthetic leather. And these days, the "leatherette" or "pleather" or whatever it's called in various cars is pretty damn good and the average person would think it IS leather. "Marine-grade" was a brilliant marketing ploy.

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wrangler, BMW 3 series
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The heated/cooled covers look awesome. Probably have to go with XT leather option to make sure you have good water resistance if you want to fine with rain and rinsing it.
Sponsored