Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

baozebub

Black Diamond
First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Apparently they’re smarter then the actual engineers designing this stuff 🤷‍♂️
I’m an engineer and it amuses me that people think engineers are godlike beings who can make things work for idiots and smart people the same.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m an engineer and it amuses me that people think engineers are godlike beings who can make things work for idiots and smart people the same.
I’m confused, Are you insinuating that I think they’re godlike beings? Because as someone that has to deal with the work that Ford engineers do on a daily basis, that’s probably the furthest thing from an accurate assumption lol

baozebub

Black Diamond
First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's nice to see there are so many engineers on this forum...
I teach an advanced course in the Electrical and Computer Science Engineering department at Cal State Fullerton.

My verdict is people can do whatever they want for whatever reason they like. Any Ford Engineer would say the same. I guarantee you that.

It’s the fake engineers who don’t design to people’s tastes.

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hate it and I turn it off EVERY TIME I start the truck. Why add extra wear on components to save a little fuel and whatever.

Last edited:

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hate it and I turn it EVERY TIME I start the truck. Why add extra wear on components to save a little fuel and whatever.
In all seriousness how much wear is it actually adding to the engine?

That is what I don't get with people-once you do something different from the "norm", people come out of the woodwork attacking it or not liking it, when if you where actually curious, there is plently to read about how it operates and what was done to migitae possible issues with it.

but humans in general are irrational, so its just about useless to argue this.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Free all the Bronco owners and let us run it as we want. To stop and start- however all y'all want. To have electronic help or not...whatever - enjoy the ride, go get it dirty.

LSTLAF

First Name
Glort
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sphere shaped craft
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

IROCnRoll

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because people really want to burn more gas.

I think it's still a relatively new feature that still feels a little unnatural. In our Grand Cherokee, on the rare occasions I drive it, I sometimes turn it off. But I sometimes leave it on and get used to it. We get a retro car like a Bronco, and we still want the world to look like it did in 1977.

I have had no issues with the start/stop on the Bronco though. That might be because I can't seem to buy a Bronco, but that is a different discussion.

Sponsored
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Corvette HTC, 2022 Bronco 4dr, 2019 BMW X7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't have an issue with it since I bought a Auto Start Stop Eliminator off Amazon for $40. Installs in 5 minutes.

Just Ice

Wildtrak
First Name
Jessica Justice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ll admit the auto start/stop felt weird at first. Now that I’m used to the feature it feels weird when I come to a stop and the engine doesn’t shut off.

This conversation has me interested in seeing how much fuel auto start/stop saves. A quick search turned up this:

“Most people think the amount of fuel saved using a start-stop system is negligible, but in reality, that fuel burned while idling at a stop adds up quickly. A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers found that using start-stop can see a car's fuel economy improve by over eight percent in heavy traffic. That might not sound like a lot, but over time, it adds up to a whole lot of wasted gas.”

Just Ice

Wildtrak
First Name
Jessica Justice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
10k miles/year
$4/ gallon
20mpg
=$2000 spent on gas / year
8% savings = $160 / year

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't have my Bronco yet, but my F150 has auto stop/start, and I have never been able to move my foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal faster than the vehicle re-started. That split-second delay is real but so short to be of no practical consequence in an emergency situation. You simply ain't that fast.
This. ^^^
Other than hot and cold situations I agree it maybe a pain, and I believe it should be a switch that stays off unless you want it on instead of every start up having to disable it. But for anyone saying it is a safety concern, I call BS. Ain’t None of you mofos fast enough to beat start up back to the pedal. Hell, I just shift my foot on the brake without full release and she starts up.
And maybe only slightly more wear and tear in this day and age. My
‘19 F250 gasser has remote start. I am a lawn guy, in Florida, and I remote start that bitch when I blow off every lawn. 4 years in, 80+ lawns a week, 63k miles, how many start ups you think I’ve gone thru? How many regular miles would that equate to? 200k+ mile equivalence on that starter guaranteed. Still truckin’. (Pun intended)

Last edited:

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can we just start a thread titled “Turbos, oil, and auto start/stop” ?
I can answer that right here
Never shut your vehicle off again, save the turbos, or is it save the bees?
Change your oil every weekend, make sure to ad some Marvel Mystery Oil, although that maybe hard with the vehicle running. Have to get back to y’al on that one. Auto start? See above.
Sponsored