Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Paired with IAG’s rear soft top struts, the Ford soft top has been awesome. I’m in Arizona and am constantly switching between all up, front portion back, just rear windows out (safari mode), soft top all the way down, and totally removed. Doors on and off too. Have door and soft top window bags hanging in my garage. And if you think the look of wavy windows with the function of lifting the back for access isn’t better than Bestop windows but no functionality you’re just nuts.
Sponsored

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why are the bronco tops such an epic fail? The aftermarket makes a much better soft top for cheap yet Ford is totally lost.

Tacnav#1

Badlands
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge AWD, F-150, Dodge Challenger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just noticed this 23 Outerbanks with an updated Soft Top.

Biggest difference is the sides of the top portion are doubled up with a seam and some insulation on the sides. Makes the top look tighter and might actually cut down some noise. Haven't driven it yet.

PXL_20230126_214919692.jpg
PXL_20230126_214928711.jpg
PXL_20230126_214942468.jpg
PXL_20230126_214938541.jpg
PXL_20230126_214932475.jpg
I replaced my stock soft top with a Bestop Trek top. I love the slant back and easy to remove windows with no wrinkles. Sold my stock top to a forum member with a hard top.
Ford Bronco Updated Soft Top design improvements spotted on 2023MY Bronco 20220526_191713

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I replaced my stock soft top with a Bestop Trek top. I love the slant back and easy to remove windows with no wrinkles. Sold my stock top to a forum member with a hard top.
Ford Bronco Updated Soft Top design improvements spotted on 2023MY Bronco 20220526_191713
Two questions:

1. When it rains really hard, does a torrent of water fall on your head and completely soak you when you open the door to get in?

2. People keep saying "you lose space with the fastback." How much space have you actually lost not having that back square corner?

First time caller, long time listener. I'll hang up and listen.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yesterday I stealthily posted a couple of TSBs related to soft tops, one is for the separation of the canvas from the crossbars the other for snow/sand infiltration in high wind situations. If they're changing the tops, some of the changes in the TSBs might be incorporated. Will have to check this out when we get another in.

Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The IAG lift struts are definitely a must.! This pic shows the only problem that Ford should immediately solve on the current soft top. And don’t come at me with the stupid gutters that wrap around the A-pillar or the IAG extenders. Both are total fails.! One on looks, the other on function.!
Ford Bronco Updated Soft Top design improvements spotted on 2023MY Bronco 19319F21-D4DA-4550-B2D9-1A14E049E0D2

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two questions:

1. When it rains really hard, does a torrent of water fall on your head and completely soak you when you open the door to get in?

2. People keep saying "you lose space with the fastback." How much space have you actually lost not having that back square corner?

First time caller, long time listener. I'll hang up and listen.
I too went with the fastback bestop and am VERY glad I did. I really don't understand the extreme hate for bestop v. Extreme love for OEM "features".

Aside from better/tighter looks, I can lift the rear window completely out of the way in about 3 seconds, while everyone is gushing over a short kickstand. 😁

As to your specific questions:

#1- I have only had water fall on me once. That was when I was parked on a slight incline, and when stepping out onto my powered steps the Bronco leaned just a bit more. Other than that, no problems the other dozens of times i have driven in rain.

#2 I just finished moving to a new house using only the Bronco and a trailer (except for my lathe, mill, and couch), via multiple short trips after work over the course of a month.

While I never did this with the old top, I also never felt that I needed more room with the bestop. My loads never even approached that upper corner.... The rollbar and speakers get in the way of any one item big enough to need that space, and I never felt the urge to stack boxes THAT high.

I say go for it. 😁

Last edited:

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yesterday I stealthily posted a couple of TSBs related to soft tops, one is for the separation of the canvas from the crossbars the other for snow/sand infiltration in high wind situations. If they're changing the tops, some of the changes in the TSBs might be incorporated. Will have to check this out when we get another in.
I'm still waiting for a chance to go in about the separating canvas. I noted it at my first oil change, but it was a Saturday and the interior tech doesn't work Saturday's, so I have to go back in when I can for it to be looked at.

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The IAG lift struts are definitely a must.! This pic shows the only problem that Ford should immediately solve on the current soft top. And don’t come at me with the stupid gutters that wrap around the A-pillar or the IAG extenders. Both are total fails.! One on looks, the other on function.!
Ford Bronco Updated Soft Top design improvements spotted on 2023MY Bronco 19319F21-D4DA-4550-B2D9-1A14E049E0D2
The added seam on the updated top my prevent some water from hitting that side sill. It will def stop or slow down water from the center of the top from rolling over the sides and into that channel.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still waiting for a chance to go in about the separating canvas. I noted it at my first oil change, but it was a Saturday and the interior tech doesn't work Saturday's, so I have to go back in when I can for it to be looked at.
The TSB repair procedure looks very time consuming. We had one coming apart and were lucky it happened before this came out and did the whole canvas instead of the repair. Not saying this isn't a durable repair, it just seems like it would be easier to skin it and charge it back to Webasto rather than paying to try and restick fabric back to fabric. If you've ever tried it with a headliner, you know what I'm talking about.

Sponsored

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As some others have mentioned, to me it looks like the wave is caused by a misalignment of the bottom bead. The forward fixed piece is slightly higher than than the part that lifts. Perhaps that can just recut the side curtain with the jump or redesign the forward track to be aligned with the rear. To me its not a big deal but just makes the whole truck look cheap.

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The TSB repair procedure looks very time consuming. We had one coming apart and were lucky it happened before this came out and did the whole canvas instead of the repair. Not saying this isn't a durable repair, it just seems like it would be easier to skin it and charge it back to Webasto rather than paying to try and restick fabric back to fabric. If you've ever tried it with a headliner, you know what I'm talking about.
Thank you - yes, I did wonder, the viability of a 'repair' vs a replacement. Especially in our case, here in Texas, where we had the top back in its lowest position most of the summer.

Dust etc getting into the fabric itself will provide challenges to re-adhering fabric to fabric. I'll have to try and make time to get to the dealership during the week and not on a weekend. And that's just for an evaluation, before going back again for repair/replacement.

Just noticeable now, this time of year with the top up, vs being down all summer!

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I noticed that this new design has no gutter strips, are those not necessary? I have a hard top and don't know.

BroncoKing610

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.7L Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 21 soft top and its as good as soft top cars get. (And imo better) We aren’t driving around a 200k convertible Ferrari…

however it appears the new softtop has sides that are much more straight and clean, which is something I wish I had on mine. I could care less about wavy windows, but the wavy sides throws off the lines of the car sometimes

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 21 soft top and its as good as soft top cars get. (And imo better) We aren’t driving around a 200k convertible Ferrari…

however it appears the new softtop has sides that are much more straight and clean, which is something I wish I had on mine. I could care less about wavy windows, but the wavy sides throws off the lines of the car sometimes
This is how I feel. Windows don't bother me but those nice clean sides are nice looking.
Sponsored