stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good stuff Bud. I agree 60K is not the way to do this (for me). Like I said, it's one reason why I like to order - minimize paying for things not wanted.

I was also curious about the 2.3 in real world, as I imagine it is plenty for our modest needs.

I do have one clarification for you. You said "The drivetrain on the base model is identical to the other models. " I thought that locking diff was not available to be optioned on the base. Am I mistaken? Likewise, one of my few requirements, heated seats, is not available to be optioned on the base, correct?
The 2.3 is pretty damn strong in my opinion. I have a 2 door badlands, manual transmission, and I have no issues with it's capabilities.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
Second question: This would partially serve as the wife’s daily driver. She drives a truck now, and is not fragile, but how are real world creature comforts, specifically noise and climate?
I wouldn't count on any vehicle from Ford as a reliable daily driver right now. After my experience with order system screw-ups, zero efforts on Ford's part to make things right, pathetic assembly quality, multiple trips to the dealer to fix window trim issues that still have not been made right, a gearbox that sounds like gravel in a dryer, the car sitting right now waiting on parts to fix the same, I can't imagine anything they could do to regain trust in any of their products.

If you need a vehicle for any other reason than "It's a Bronco" you're probably better off with something else.

To put things in perspective, my first car was a Pinto, and that didn't stop my from buying more Fords. This experience has though.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviosly a dealer. If its totalled pull your stuff out, if not...
LMAO. dealer. NOPE.
realist.
no one is going to swap shocks at a salvage lot, and no one is going to swap seat covers and 99% of people will not add additional insurance for aftermarket accessories. BUT whoever ‘loses’ will absolutely get online and whine how insurance ‘screwed you’

i have mods on mine, and havent added insurance coverage but im well aware i lose it all. I can and actually did do all the work to mine. Still there is something to be said for it all being on the build sheet.

OP
OP
Matt Willhelm

Matt Willhelm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This will not be a "built" vehicle.... so some debates above needn't apply. The jump to recovering after market gear in the event of total loss for example.

(Rear locker can be useful, even if one is not going to have heavy rock crawler use ...)

Sponsored

Shawn of the Dead

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Focus, 4 motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Most people are buying the 58 to 75 K versions which make no sense. At that price point the LR Defender is in a different class.
I agree on all your other points but the most basic Defender cost about 53 K before adding a single option. If you want a single package that would increase capability then your lookin at LOTS more. I doubt if they would be as capable as a Base with SAS or other trims if you plan on doing some offroading.

I wanted a daily for the most part with the ability to off-road 4 or 5 times a year and something that looks cool. Hell .... an F150 XLT with leather will run close to 60K. Might as well drop that number on a Bronco.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A couple of things. the Bronco that makes sense is the base model with a couple of options for 35K. This would include roof rails, hard top, modular bumper. For another 3500 add katskin leather interior (2500 installed) and billstien 5100's shocks (1K installed) after delivery. All in 38K and for that price it is a decent truck. If you run into problems then not a huge loss and there are people who are having problems. The smaller motor is superior as it is a longer running platform (been in the mustang for years). The drivetrain on the base model is identical to the other models. Most people are buying the 58 to 75 K versions which make no sense. At that price point the LR Defender is in a different class.
Maybe it makes no sense to you to buy a higher trim Bronco but it does to others. To each their own. Not sure why others get worked up how people they don’t even know spend their money and plan to use their Bronco’s.

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
All I said was they make no sense. Lots of things in life make no sense and that is certainly not an attack on you or any dealer for selling or buying whatever you like. The OP asked for advice which was given and I stand by as valid. I presented why I thought it was valid due to being able to own a luxury vehicle for 60K versus the Bronco which is definitely not a luxury vehicle but makes sense in the 35 to 40K price range as a mass produced Ford truck. Additionally for my argument I offered that they are still working the kinks out of the Bronco (which certainly can be evidenced by post on this forum) so I would also stand by that statement being true as well. As a 38 to 40K play the risk is much lower than a 60 to 75 K play.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello all, hoping to engage in some general conversation as I work through deciding how serious my family is about adding a 2D 6G Bronco to the garage in the next 6-12 months. I’ve found that enthusiast forums are a great place to collect information that otherwise is scattered across the web. I also know the frustration of answering the same questions on a daily basis, so I ask your patience.

As background, I typically order through a local long time dealer, but not opposed to taking from inventory. My last Ford, a 2021, was around 4 months from order to delivery day, not bad. And that’s the first question:

I know the Bronco has been plagued by both production and delivery delays, along with much of the industry. Do we see this changing materially in the next 6-12 months? Anecdotal evidence suggest there may be more Bronco inventory on the lots. We know sales have slowed across the industry, is that coming to the Bronco?

Second question: This would partially serve as the wife’s daily driver. She drives a truck now, and is not fragile, but how are real world creature comforts, specifically noise and climate?

Lastly, if you will indulge, I will have follow up questions based on the myriad of trims this thing is offered in. As a rule, I trend toward base or the lowest trim that can accommodate our requirements. This is one reason I like to go through the order bank. In this case, probably those requirements are AT, heated seats and maybe rear locker. Vinyl flooring is a plus … so the more I look, the more the Black Diamond (with mid pkg)seems to make sense.

Happy to get any feedback on the above and thanks for your time.
First, continue to ask questions here. A caution too....you will read negatives. They exist with every vehicle, but, IMO...they are amplified in forums like this. I chose the Black Diamond. Some have called it the "sweet spot" of trims. It has great offroad capabilities yet is great for the highway.
I was one of the early reservation holders. My 2 door Black Diamond came to me 2 years to the day from reservation. Right now they have 37,000 back orders to get through and have delayed allowing new 2023 orders....they probably have enough to go into MY2024. Know that if you order, it could be 12-20 months before you get it. Also, if you order, ORDER IT THE WAY YOU WANT IT AND THEN WAIT. Some have tried to play the game of dropping features that are in high demand hoping to get theirs sooner. For some it happened, others saw no difference. Order it the way you want it. If you order it, get everything in writing, EVERYTHING and signed by you and the sales manager/owner. Have it totally clear what the final price will be. Those that got screwed from a "bad" dealer also did not have a clear written contract when they ordered. Signing the order sheet is not enough.
If you want it off a lot, (to get one quicker), then look around and find what you want. Hopefully find a dealer that is selling at MSRP or no more than $5K over. I would also try to find a 2022 model, with a Gen2 top if you are going for a hardtop. The newer the better as to avoid some of the (few) recall issues.
Mine is a 2022. I avoided all the recalls. I have no issues with mine, none and I love it.
There is a lot of knowledge here and you will find this page very helpful. CAUTION; when you get yours, hide all your modification receipts from your wife!
Some photos of mine:
Ford Bronco Prospective Buyer looking for input. Fall5Cro
Ford Bronco Prospective Buyer looking for input. InManCave
Ford Bronco Prospective Buyer looking for input. RearDone
Ford Bronco Prospective Buyer looking for input. FrontDone

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMHO, you can kit out Bronco with luxuries but it will be noisier than almost anything with those luxuries.

Your will need to test drive one to see if the noise level is acceptable.

No problem with climate control so far but I haven't had mine through a summer yet. Heat was good when it was zero degrees outside.

Heated seats get super hot, I turn them down to low after just a couple of minutes. The heated steering wheel is just right for me but others complain that it isn't hot enough.

It rides like a truck, as expected. Steers like a car, big plus.
I just test drove one and for me - the road and wind noise from a soft top was much better than what I expected. What I was shocked about was engine noise...damn that thing is noisy and does not sound great!

Sponsored

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually I would say the defender with the off road package and nicely equipped with real leather etc is 60K (not 53). As to the off road chops of a LR my bet would be either they or the Jeep are superior to the Bronco but the Bronco rides nicer on the highway. The most basic Jeep comes with a locking rear diff. but sucks on the highway.

Did you really off road 5 times last year ? Are you really gonna dump your 75K bronco in a mud pit and do you understand that people who offroad normally have rigs built from 20 year old trucks or something that is ok to break and abuse. By offroading do you mean the snow because that is different ? A lot of people are urban cowboys and buy trucks with big stupid lifts/tires on them for no reason. They like the fact that they can go offroad but never actually use them for that purpose. Wanna drive in the sand, air down the tires and a base Bronco will take you anywhere you wanna go. Wanna drive over rocks, any Bronco even the top model is going to need about 50K added in equipment. Any stock Bronco in a mud pit is a bad idea again 50K worth of upgrades and you are ready to mud pit race. I dare say a Jeep rubicon is 100% more of an off road Vehcile than any Bronco made. Again they are trash on the highway. The land rover has the off road and on road chops plus it is a luxury vehicle.

I bought a lariat supercab new in 2005 with every option for 25K. The same truck now would probably be 75K. I think the market is priced wrong as salaries have not tripled since 2005. Hopefully the higher interest rates can stem everything being priced stupid high and everyone just paying whatever is asked no matter how ridiculous.

Any perspective buyer should know Ford is currently an active dumpster fire. My reservation was in June 2021 and converted to an order in october 2021. I ordered a base with 3 options none of which are on the list of stuff they either ran out of or do not know how to produce. Buying a Ford right now for 50 to 75K is a huge risk. It is still not here but apparently sitting in a train yard as the same city as the dealer (they think).

I agree on all your other points but the most basic Defender cost about 53 K before adding a single option. If you want a single package that would increase capability then your lookin at LOTS more. I doubt if they would be as capable as a Base with SAS or other trims if you plan on doing some offroading.

I wanted a daily for the most part with the ability to off-road 4 or 5 times a year and something that looks cool. Hell .... an F150 XLT with leather will run close to 60K. Might as well drop that number on a Bronco.

Last edited:

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
With restraints, the BD is probably your best bet, it was my 2nd choice. The Base Sasquatch priced out the same as the BD when I was shopping, while the BD has the washout floors/seats and about $1000 worth of upgrades over a Base Sas, for the same money I got front lockers, gearing, upgraded front axle, advanced 4wd, lift, and 35s.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Obviosly a dealer. If its totalled pull your stuff out, if not...
I totaled a car in my teens (40 years ago), spent a couple of days in the hospital and would not have been able to strip the car for some time. By then anything in the interior would have been ruined by the weather while it sat at the tow yard. A lot of what was left wasn't worth saving.

No way would my parents or the homeowners association allow it to sit in the driveway while I striped parts off of it.

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
yea I really like the BD trim. even without SAS has vinyl seats and floor, steel bumpers front and rear, full bash plates, aux switches, molley seat backs and you can get it with 4 auto as an option without adding SAS. If you plan to actually off road and not just have a mall crawler on the cheap side go BD all day. It as my first choice, i didnt end up with one but love the utilitarin design and features. Badlands is ideal for 0ff roading but also a base with SAS package would be great off road for cheap. If you want the added safety stuff get the big bend with MID package. If dont like the cloth and want the vinyl seats which are excellent and kinda look and feel like leather go BD. For me the 4 auto was my only must have due to were I live so i cancled my bd dealer ordered reservation which sadly was pefect otherwise for a lesser priced build. I your looking for a lower end trim it is a mixed bag. I would just look for a local dealer or a dealer that ships selling for MSRP. see what they having coming in for dealer or cancled orders and snag one of those. Youll almost never get 100% a perfect buil that way but youll get a car vs not and people waiting 2 + years for a bronco is just crazy to me.

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With restraints, the BD is probably your best bet, it was my 2nd choice. The Base Sasquatch priced out the same as the BD when I was shopping, while the BD has the washout floors/seats and about $1000 worth of upgrades over a Base Sas, for the same money I got front lockers, gearing, upgraded front axle, advanced 4wd, lift, and 35s.
Very valid point if you want the gearing and the other things sas pkg has its cheaper to get SAS then add that stuff after market. I dont know if you could add the 4 auto at all though.
Sponsored