Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

Vezfly

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well so much for having to go to the dealer to have this installed. Just checked and now I’m seeing all the additional warning messages (check brake, pre-collision). In addition I got a message about auto-trac when taking out of tow mode. Been towing this thing around for months and never seen those message before. Haven’t taken it to a dealership for any work so this has to be updated remotely.

Thanks for the nudge Grant. Cancelling my appointment at the dealership.
Ford says it’s two separate loads , called the marketing line . TFWIW. I’m going to ford Wednesday to have upload done…I’ll dig with service tech before they do it
Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford says it’s two separate loads , called the marketing line . TFWIW. I’m going to ford Wednesday to have upload done…I’ll dig with service tech before they do it
Yes looks like there are two parts. This is what was down loaded on Feb 13 in the 22-PU1010-MIL-LT load.
Update ID 727270-927196
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Module Data Details

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I checked mine yesterday. There are no updates available, it has been set for auto updates for months and I do not have anything new when I do the flat tow set up.

If it is not showing up OTA by weeks end, I will take it in for the dealership. Either way, I do appreciate the heads up!

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well it didn't take long. I just helped a guy on Facebook. He was in a panic because he was getting all these new brake warnings when he when into Tow Mode. Thought for sure something was wrong with the brake system.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is there any reason to keep battery charging current going to a Bronco's battery now that the EBB is always off? There should not be any battery drain other than what happens when parked.
I can see a benefit that the battery would stay topped off if towing for days on end,. For a 1-2 day tow and then drive the Bronco I think I will not keep ours charging while towing.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is there any reason to keep battery charging current going to a Bronco's battery now that the EBB is always off? There should not be any battery drain other than what happens when parked.
I can see a benefit that the battery would stay topped off if towing for days on end,. For a 1-2 day tow and then drive the Bronco I think I will not keep ours charging while towing.
Just don't know for sure, I have had our older Explorer go dead. So I just do it.

Vezfly

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MAJOR UPDATE . Had the over the air OTA 22 pu 1010-mil-lt pushed to Bronco on Feb 18th. At dealer trying to get SSM 51415 installed now, Bronco won’t take it as it says vehicle is up to date . So it seems that OTA 22pu1010-mil-lt and SMM 51415 are the same . Don’t waste your time IMO if you have the OTA UPDATE. Anyone else experience the same at dealer ?

AZ Rider

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 7.3, F-450 V10 Class C, Jeep Liberty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have an appointment tomorrow for the dealer update. I’ll post if the OTA was sufficient to fix the EBB issue.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just don't know for sure, I have had our older Explorer go dead. So I just do it.
I normally wouldn't disagree with Grant, he being Bronco flat tow royalty and all (seriously, not being sarcastic) but I wouldn't think you'd need towed battery charge. I have a 2.3 with vacuum assist, but the end result should be the same. I use an RVI brake with a compressor that cycles every third brake use or so and have never had a battery issue with the Bronco or previous Jeep. If you're using a 6 or 7 wire plug I'd say go ahead and do it, but if 4 wire (like me) just for lights, don't bother.

Note: I said every third brake use, I mean every third time the RVI brake engages which is seldom in a normal stop. It only engages when I am vigorously braking.

Sponsored

EN2DIRT

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a Jackery to power my Blue Ox Patriot Brake device flat towing my Jeep. I place in the floor on the passenger side and plug the 12v socket from brake device into the Jackery. Hardly uses any juice. I plan to do the same with the Bronco.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is this the tread where a person rants and raves after speaking to the local Ford Service Manager?
The one that says they have no idea what I am talking about and they do not have any information of the problem or the SSM??

Alimony

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is this the tread where a person rants and raves after speaking to the local Ford Service Manager?
The one that says they have no idea what I am talking about and they do not have any information of the problem or the SSM??
I think that statement could be said for any thread we’re dealership help is needed 😂

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just a little FYI the brake lights are disabled when you go into Tow Mode. 2.7 with the new software download.

AZ Rider

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 7.3, F-450 V10 Class C, Jeep Liberty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok, here’s my update. I did get the OTA update and all the new error messages were received. Today I had and appointment for the SMM bulletin on flat towing. The service technician told me that when he checked for software updates they was all up to date. Then he checked the ABS congratulations and found there was an update to be made. In his confusion, he check the forum that Ford Service technicians use to share information and found that Ford made a mistake saying it was a software update for the SMM. It’s a configuration update. So apparently there are two updates. A OTA software and an AbS configuration that the dealer has to perform. I did has the technician sit in the car as I put it in neutral tow and I got all the alarms and a definite clunk and feel in the break pedal as it went into tow mode. Everyone might want to check with their dealer to make sure but this is what my dealers technician told me.
Sponsored