Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
why does it bother you so much?
I explained it several times in this thread, but I'll try to clarify:

My concerns are not strictly around updates, but around the amount of updates. The number of updates I've received since taking delivery a few months ago makes it feel like the Bronco software wasn't quite ready upon release and the subsequent updates are coming so quickly I have a hard time believing they have been properly regression tested and are truly ready for release.

It's annoying to have to acknowledge an update every few weeks when I'm just trying to go get some milk and eggs.

The update notes SUCK! "A tweak here and there" is not an acceptable release note for a professional corporation and my $60K plus vehicle.

While software updates often fix old bugs, they also install new ones :D

Ford is apparently not doing a proper backup/restore method with these updates, because at least one has been bricked by a failed update. Vehicles sometimes fail to start for various reasons, many of them predicable (almost every dead battery I've had showed warning signs and I was not surprised). No reason to add another reason to fail albeit with zero warning. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/failed-software-update-unable-to-start-vehicle.66872/

I find it interesting how divided everyone is on this subject, and how the "pro update" crowd is so quick to label themselves and state they thy are "pro update." I am, believe or not, not anti update, but I am neither pro update. I am very concerned with the frequency of updates, lack of documentation, and method of rolling out updates that we are experiencing. This feels VERY junior league to me, and makes me question the quality of the software running my vehicle. ;)

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still nobody with a fix to no updates happening and saying that it is up to date?

growers

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
IT guy here - a lot of the recent updates are following in Android's footsteps. They're breaking the parts of the system down into smaller chunks so that those chunks can easily be updated on their own. This is so that updating one thing won't cause issues with other systems.
They want to be able to update something like the overlay on the backup camera, but if it has issues, not let those issues impact the rest of the vehicle.
Are you sure about that? I thought Sync4 was still based on Microsoft Auto or QNX, with Ford's transition to Android Automotive pushed back to select vehicles starting late 2023 at the earliest.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you sure about that? I thought Sync4 was still based on Microsoft Auto or QNX, with Ford's transition to Android Automotive pushed back to select vehicles starting late 2023 at the earliest.
Am I sure that they're breaking the OS into smaller chunks to be more easily updated and managed?

Yes.
Ford has mentioned their goal is to be able to update all modules individually instead of doing full system wide updates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power-Up_version_history

Tons of the released updates are simply prepping and breaking modules away from each other, making things "ready for future updates". Their current goal is to simplify updating the vehicles, and getting them ready for bigger changes.

Sponsored

growers

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Am I sure that they're breaking the OS into smaller chunks to be more easily updated and managed?

Yes.
Ford has mentioned their goal is to be able to update all modules individually instead of doing full system wide updates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power-Up_version_history

Tons of the released updates are simply prepping and breaking modules away from each other, making things "ready for future updates". Their current goal is to simplify updating the vehicles, and getting them ready for bigger changes.
Nothing on that page to suggest Ford are going more modular, it's just an (out-of-date) list of updates? Not disputing, just wondering where the info came from as Sunc4 has nothing to do with Google's recent segmentation of Android updates.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing on that page to suggest Ford are going more modular, it's just an (out-of-date) list of updates? Not disputing, just wondering where the info came from as Sunc4 has nothing to do with Google's recent segmentation of Android updates.
I believe you're misinterpreting my original post.
I didn't say they were going full Android. I said they're following in their footsteps, in the sense that they're making their system easier to update.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/05/13/ford-power-up.html

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's funny because my early '21 build went until february of this year before I got my first update. Now I can't keep up with all the updates I've been getting. Just got the latest last night. I do like the full screen Carplay.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's funny because my early '21 build went until february of this year before I got my first update. Now I can't keep up with all the updates I've been getting. Just got the latest last night. I do like the full screen Carplay.
That full screen Carplay and Android Auto is NICE, right?
Freaking loving some of these updates. The updated backup camera view is nice too.

growers

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I believe you're misinterpreting my original post.
I didn't say they were going full Android. I said they're following in their footsteps, in the sense that they're making their system easier to update.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/05/13/ford-power-up.html
Lol I know you didn't say they are going full Android! But I am curious how you know the architecture is being modularized? The media release just talks about the usual "quality improvements, new features and capabilities". Nothing about architecture changes.

Sponsored

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol I know you didn't say they are going full Android! But I am curious how you know the architecture is being modularized? The media release just talks about the usual "quality improvements, new features and capabilities". Nothing about architecture changes.
From the article:

"A new fully networked, second-generation electrical architecture and advanced tech stack create the foundation to deliver unique Ford Power-Up software updates. These quick and easy wireless upgrades help enhance features, quality, experiences, capability and convenience. Capable of updating the vast majority of vehicle computer modules – more than 80 on higher end models – these upgrades can help improve the ownership experience and may help reduce the need for repair trips."

"Ford Power-Up software updates will quickly expand to nearly all vehicle computer modules"

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My concerns are not strictly around updates, but around the amount of updates. The number of updates I've received since taking delivery a few months ago makes it feel like the Bronco software wasn't quite ready upon release and the subsequent updates are coming so quickly I have a hard time believing they have been properly regression tested and are truly ready for release.
I'm no fan of Ford's software department but I'm not sure what the frequency of updates has to do with anything. They might be an agile shop with a 3 week feature release cycle so we'll be seeing frequent updates. They probably do off-cycle bug fixes which would be totally normal.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
IT guy here - a lot of the recent updates are following in Android's footsteps. They're breaking the parts of the system down into smaller chunks so that those chunks can easily be updated on their own. This is so that updating one thing won't cause issues with other systems.
They want to be able to update something like the overlay on the backup camera, but if it has issues, not let those issues impact the rest of the vehicle.

Yes, there's been a lot of updates lately, but it's really going to make future updates better and safer to install going forward.

Personally, I'm all for regular updates, security patches, and keeping things running smoothly.

However, I also understand that I'm in the minority, and that most people would rather things just stay how they were when they bought the vehicle. I guess those users could just turn off updates if they don't want them though.
I'm a firmware developer and both agree and disagree. Aircraft for example the A320 do not get regular updates. Because of the obvious critical nature of the systems, updates don't occur very often, and when they do it requires a massive amount of testing. One example is the MCAS problem with the 737Max. The software fix took many months and probably hundreds of millions of dollars to roll out, even though the flaw was pretty obvious. Phones and PCs are not aircraft and far more dynamic so updates make sense. A vehicle falls somewhere in the middle. After hearing about cases of Broncos being 'bricked" after an update, I turned off automatic updates. I will perform them manually.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a firmware developer and both agree and disagree. Aircraft for example the A320 do not get regular updates. Because of the obvious critical nature of the systems, updates don't occur very often, and when they do it requires a massive amount of testing. One example is the MCAS problem with the 737Max. The software fix took many months and probably hundreds of millions of dollars to roll out, even though the flaw was pretty obvious. Phones and PCs are not aircraft and far more dynamic so updates make sense. A vehicle falls somewhere in the middle. After hearing about cases of Broncos being 'bricked" after an update, I turned off automatic updates. I will perform them manually.
Understandable, and agreed that vehicles are not the same as a PC or phone (both of which can indeed be bricked by a bad update as well).
I also believe that Ford making it easier for themselves to update individual modules instead of the entire system is a good thing. Hopefully if a bad update rolls out in the future, instead of bricking the entire vehicle, just that one function is shut off until it can be taken to a dealership or ideally they push a second fix remotely, and you don't even have to leave your home.

For something like an aircraft, I'm glad Ford aren't the ones writing the code. Lots of legacy devices should be left alone, especially if the original code developers are no longer around to help.