First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My wife got a 22 and then traded it for a 23 sport. I thought the 22 was fine, but she wanted more go. It is nice that the seat hugs you once you get above 80mph.
I've always been a lover of speed. Hell, I road-raced motorcycles for 20 years. But these days I am pretty much done with anything that's only fun over 80 mph. The cool thing about the Bronco is that it's a fine daily driver, yet given the right road it can be fun at 3 mph... šŸ˜
Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you are wanting a 2-door you may be in for a long wait so be fore warned. The 2.3 probably has as much hp & tq as your JL so I wouldn't worry about it, especially in the smaller and lighter 2-door. As far as gearing, the taller gear (4.46) will help curb the acceleration lag and will be better for 35's once her stock tires wear out. If going non-Squatch at least get the rear locker and possibly the fulltime 4wd option, they are both cheap enough, good to have, and better on resale. Lastly, dealers were provided with a doc similar as the one below so they know their allocations and constraints. Be sure to have an honest conversation with your dealer(s) about their remaining orders and your likely hood of getting scheduled this year. You may have to call around a bit to find one with 2-door capacity.

FYI, my wife currently drives a BL non-Squatch moar door and we are "upgrading" her to a loaded OBX Squatch which should be here in about a month.

1682013550461.png
have her get th 2.3 since its a 2door shell be happy
ps
i work at a ford dealer and own a 2021 2.7 4d black diamond w sasqaush

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Welp. This is embarrassing but I didnā€™t drive the bronco nor did I know to tell her to even try sport mode. Didnā€™t know there were different modes. I actually kinda hate that there are but not enough to talk her out of the bronco.
Unless she is planning on driving a lot with top down, sounds like the Sport is a better match for her actual usage. Pavement and camping? She will have little if any use for the regular Bronco functionality, and it's not what you'd design to excel on pavement.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Unless she is planning on driving a lot with top down, sounds like the Sport is a better match for her actual usage. Pavement and camping? She will have little if any use for the regular Bronco functionality, and it's not what you'd design to excel on pavement.
Itā€™s either this or a Mercedes so I vote Bronco. And Iā€™ll say just the few minutes I spent as a passenger were much more comfortable than my JL. We live in Houston and are posers. Wish we could be smart and choose a vehicle as a tool from here to there but we canā€™t. Vehicles are extensions of a personality. Thankfully sheā€™s not a sport.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Itā€™s either this or a Mercedes so I vote Bronco. And Iā€™ll say just the few minutes I spent as a passenger were much more comfortable than my JL. We live in Houston and are posers. Wish we could be smart and choose a vehicle as a tool from here to there but we canā€™t. Vehicles are extensions of a personality. Thankfully sheā€™s not a sport.
Like a fake Walter Mitty personality? I don't get the allure of that. I'm big into doing real things and buying accordingly though, so that's my advice. Hopefully if you get the big Bronco, you'll feel the urge to stretch it's legs offroad, put a dent in the skid plate and have an exciting story to tell.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like a fake Walter Mitty personality? I don't get the allure of that. I'm big into doing real things and buying accordingly though, so that's my advice. Hopefully if you get the big Bronco, you'll feel the urge to stretch it's legs offroad, put a dent in the skid plate and have an exciting story to tell.
Nothing fake about us. Just like the look of the bronco and the idea of using it off-road. Gotta drive more than 10 hours to get anywhere worth while for us though
At least she and I will be flood ready. Happens here often...

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The acceleration lag is due to the 10-speed trying to decide what to do. No lag at all in my stick shift.

Ford automagic transmissions have "modes". Sport mode will make the auto down shift more aggressively and hold gears longer. Driving dynamics are much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The acceleration lag is due to the 10-speed trying to decide what to do. No lag at all in my stick shift.

Ford automagic transmissions have "modes". Sport mode will make the auto down shift more aggressively and hold gears longer. Driving dynamics are much better.
Went back today and test drove the 2.7 black diamond 2 Dr again as well as an Outer Banks 4 Dr with the 2.3 and the engine noise was noticeably louder on the 2.3. Sport modes did make her happier with both configurations but I think we will go 2.7. Funny even a salesman there was telling my wife she doesnā€™t need a bronco just a sport. Idiot.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One last question. This dealer wonā€™t discount the order at all. Is that the norm for all dealers? I know there are plenty that give discounts on an ordered wrangler. Fine if this is just how it goes but if there are any known dealers that do discount an order, please let me know.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Youā€™ll be hard pressed to find any dealer who will discount a Bronco. Most will add ADM, so if you can get straight MSRP with no BS added, like nitrogen in your tires or ā€œrustproofingā€, consider it a good deal.

And the salesman does have a point. Nobody needs a Bronco. Itā€™s absolutely a want. But if you want one, he probably shouldnā€™t be trying to talk you out of it, unless he really feels like youā€™ll be disenchanted with it in real lifeā€¦

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing fake about us. Just like the look of the bronco and the idea of using it off-road. Gotta drive more than 10 hours to get anywhere worth while for us though
At least she and I will be flood ready. Happens here often...
I have a lifted 2 door SAS Badlands. Love it. This weekend Iā€™ve had the opportunity to ride in and drive my in-laws Outerbanks Sport. My initial impression of the Sportā€¦what a POS. You could not give me one. Seats are narrower than those in my Bronco. They are not as cushioned as my MGV. I rode once in the rear seat. That was the worst vehicle seat Iā€™ve ever sat in, and Iā€™ve been in some pretty crappy helicopter seats. The suspension sucks when compared to my SAS suspension. Much harsher ride.

Last edited:

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
One last question. This dealer wonā€™t discount the order at all. Is that the norm for all dealers? I know there are plenty that give discounts on an ordered wrangler. Fine if this is just how it goes but if there are any known dealers that do discount an order, please let me know.
Drive past any Jeep Dealership, they have 20 Wranglers on the lot. Bronco is "constrained".

You could probably get a discount on ordering any Ford except for the Bronco, Maverick, Mach-E, or Lightning. I think my Dad got 3% under invoice on his custom ordered Explorer.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Drive past any Jeep Dealership, they have 20 Wranglers on the lot. Bronco is "constrained".

You could probably get a discount on ordering any Ford except for the Bronco, Maverick, Mach-E, or Lightning. I think my Dad got 3% under invoice on his custom ordered Explorer.
Very valid point. Just had my first service done on my Wrangler and they had over 40 Iā€™d say between all configurations including gladiators. Ford had two Broncos. Probably 15 sports.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Order confirmed yesterday.
2 Dr Outer Banks 2.7, 4.27 with rear locking diff. Lux package added Towing and Aux switches.
White with Roast/Onyx interior.
Lets see how it goes!
Sponsored