First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great DIY portable solution without blocking front camera or radar cruise sensor.
Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only issue with this is that your likely points of failure result in 50+lb projectile towards either vehicle. It's only making something dangerous, more dangerous. Unmounted force applicators is pretty much eng 101, if you require it, you need to rethink it.

Not to say that it will fail, only that if it does, the situation is getting worse.

A very fun/clever entry into the "F Around Phase", but that thing is itching to drag you into the "Find out Phase"

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Now dumbass is always going to dumbass but I wouldn't say they (Yankum) are out there (at least in the people they choose to partner with) telling people to just gun it and hope for the best with those kenitic recovery ropes.

Everything I've seen from their partners on YouTube for example MORR & Casey (not you Heavy D Sparks, I swear they just try to break shit with that rope for the views). Whenever they explain to us the proper way to use a kinetic energy rope is to start small with the goal of only using just enough force to pull someone out.

Hell even in Heavy D's case its a public service announcement on the effects of just yeeting it and hoping for the best.

Lets take a look at the rest of their product line.

Synthetic fiber winch lines with a metal-less loop tied loop on the end

Soft shackles

A tow hitch with the proper radius for those soft shackles so they don't pinch and fray

These new offset recovery rings that are a single piece aka simpler and also better protect your rope in theory compared to a traditionally snatch block setup or non offset ring.

The fairleads that the loop on the rope wraps around and ends up being tucked away and protected from damage.

What about this screams WE ARE AN IRRESPONSABLE COMPANY

Their whole brand identity is making recoveries safer by eliminating as much metal and as many failure points as possible from recovery gear...
Yea, Matt's recovery is their poster child for understanding the loads involved and safe recoveries, and he's touting their products directly. Much in the same way that the Cookie Monster is the perfect spokesperson for the American diabetes society.

I have yet to see any official Yankum document on any loads (or even a handy load calculator tool for their clients), nor can I find any information about the actual lifespan of a rope, how many repeated pulls before giving ropes a rest or protecting them from damage.

Their FAQ does have some good information on shipping times though, so I guess you gotta pick your battles.

https://yankum.com/pages/main-faqs

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

!!! SO MUCH BETTER - THAN MOUNTING A WINCH TO YOUR BUMPER !!!

* Much more flexable - You can use 1000x more ways!
* You can leave it at home, so you dont look like a dork driving around with a seldom used winch mounted to your front bumper.
* Its compact! And a cool case! So you could mount it to the outside of your vehicle when you go crawling or otherwiswe might need it.
* You can share it!

I LOVE THIS SOLUTION!!

* Does it need refinement? Yes.
* Is it better than bolting a winch, permanently to the front of your bumper/frame? Yes.
* Does it have any disadvantages over a permanent bumper mounted winch? Maybe... in certian scenarios....if you squint you could find one.... *And then you could refine this to overcome.
* Does it have any advantages? Many, many advantages.

Another Crazy Idea:
Get a PNEUMATIC WINCH - And conenct to your in-engine-compartment air compressor....
Unfortunately, it appears pneumatic winches are super expensive and for industrial applications only.

+ Whats the point over an electric motor winch, you need to power the air compressor anyway....
++ SUPER EXPENSIVE
...Maybe if I squint I could find an advantage....

wf_series_pneumatic_winches.jpg

Andy6GRealG

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do what I did and just Make some minor adjustments to your intercooler, buy the hidden winch mounts from rough
Country and a 13,000lbs winch on Amazon for $400 to $650. Took me about a day to complete the entire thing by myself(it would have been easier with 2 sets of hands but itā€™s doable with one). Also if you are not mechanically inclined donā€™t try this, it will make you piss your pants on the first cut of your frame and coolant lines lol! It looks nice and I have used it once since installing it( worked like a charm), plus buy a really good kinetic rope to get initial pull out. Then you will be more than golden and you donā€™t need to get the winch bumper or attachments. That winch box looks sketch as hell to me. I just see it snapping back into your hood or radiator when that box gives or the bolts shear because you have play from the plastic in between the plate and the box. Good luck hope you find your best solution.

AF68FD0A-3655-4CC7-8D8D-83BE1410D32E.jpeg

43C5A5CD-94CA-4D31-BF59-1DA4C95E3252.jpeg

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yea, Matt's recovery is their poster child for understanding the loads involved and safe recoveries, and he's touting their products directly. Much in the same way that the Cookie Monster is the perfect spokesperson for the American diabetes society.

I have yet to see any official Yankum document on any loads (or even a handy load calculator tool for their clients), nor can I find any information about the actual lifespan of a rope, how many repeated pulls before giving ropes a rest or protecting them from damage.

Their FAQ does have some good information on shipping times though, so I guess you gotta pick your battles.

Here's what happens when they break (well, a soft shackle broke due to fraying):

Once weakness is introduced, they're toast. exposure to desert southwest levels of UV probably toasts them too. They're still strong as hell, because braided fibers is just science man

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yup!

On an oil derrick, the wire rope 1.5ā€ (?) that carries supports the drill string, has itā€™s up/down cycles counted. When a certain number of cycles is reached, the cable is cut off and disposed of.

Fall protection equipment is single use only. If used, it is suppose to get trashed.

Off shore equipment rigging is mated to its single load. The slings, shackles, etc, all have to be certified and retested periodically. The SS certification tags are readily apparent.

I once was involved in the design of lifting lugs for a tank structure that was involved in an off-shore liftā€¦.one of those $1,000,000 lifts (yes, that expensive). The load/design requirements approached the ridiculous. Like failure of 2 of the 4 slings, specific design loads from high winds, specific design loads from acceleration due to high wave action. If I recall correctly, where the lifting shackles were to be attached (by others) was a 4ā€ thick lifting lug. Amazing and impressive.

Lifting is regulated by several entities and there is extensive training required in most companies.

Do I think our winching equipment needs to be regulated or certified? Absolutely NOT! But stupid people are always going to be injured or killed.

I would be pretty sure Yankum does not make their own rope, but buys it from a rope manufacturer and then makes the splices. US or China????

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Not official documentation, but here are the two Matts discussing and dissecting these kinetic ropes. MadMatt 4WD's channel gets more into the meat of the conversation. Apparently they can take 200 hits which is a great value for the money, just higher upfront cost. You can get a pair of soft shackles for $25 on Amazon but I personally bought Yankum brand shackles trusting that I got more for paying more to use in a high risk situation.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hereā€™s a question for the group: What if you have a front mounted winch and need to recover rearward? Seems like a more likely scenario to meā€¦. Run the winch cable under the body and out the back?

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I LOVE THIS SOLUTION!!

* Does it need refinement? Yes.
* Is it better than bolting a winch, permanently to the front of your bumper/frame? Yes.
* Does it have any disadvantages over a permanent bumper mounted winch? Maybe... in certain scenarios....if you squint you could find one.... *And then you could refine this to overcome.
* Does it have any advantages? Many, many advantages.

This feels like it was written by a sales bot, but none the less...

Disadvanatges.
  • When I'm knee deep in mud instead of pulling a single cable out of my bumper I haul out my 50lb suitcase, spare car battery, and rig up my portable death trap. I pray to my deity the battery doesn't tip over in the mud
Advanatges.
  • Be a great hitman trap, get enough people around apply a little lateral force on your free floating force driver and someone bound to get it.
  • If WW3 happens and a draft occurs, you could probably show them this and be deemed mentally unfit to serve

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hereā€™s a question for the group: What if you have a front mounted winch and need to recover rearward? Seems like a more likely scenario to meā€¦. Run the winch cable under the body and out the back?
Pretty standard offset shackle.

Snatch off of a sturdy tree/object ahead of you, parked as offset to the line of pull as possible and anchored or chalked, run the line back to the bogged rig and pull.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK. Iā€™m ready to take my beating. Here are photos of my ā€œsimilarā€ setup. This will hook (hard attachment) to any of the 4 recovery points on the Bronco.
ā€¦or whatever else you might want to use the winch forā€¦.
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation B837118F-3B6E-43FF-ACB6-7BBB0DE64683
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation 7566BD5C-71AC-4E96-B9A8-32917F1F4FD1
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation D3EDAF8A-7545-49D2-B73A-0F7D3BB7A48F
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation D0F56125-4359-4853-A1B2-03F9C6F5A95D
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation 7F8C2455-AA86-4428-A993-9E9EF428C70D
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation 664E5AAF-F519-4B4E-9C58-7FA575D0EB4A
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation CCA59DA8-EB78-4A4E-90C8-3CADC005F060

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Snatch off of a sturdy tree/object ahead of you, parked as offset to the line of pull as possible and anchored or chalked, run the line back to the bogged rig and pull.
OK, but Iā€™m talking about self recoveryā€¦.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You guys in the NW also have something that provides great recovery assistance, that we in the SW donā€™t often have. TREES to hook toā€¦.
Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation 0A7B831C-6CA8-467C-96F0-105B2B442E5F

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do what I did and just Make some minor adjustments to your intercooler, buy the hidden winch mounts from rough
Country and a 13,000lbs winch on Amazon for $400 to $650. Took me about a day to complete the entire thing by myself(it would have been easier with 2 sets of hands but itā€™s doable with one). Also if you are not mechanically inclined donā€™t try this, it will make you piss your pants on the first cut of your frame and coolant lines lol! It looks nice and I have used it once since installing it( worked like a charm), plus buy a really good kinetic rope to get initial pull out. Then you will be more than golden and you donā€™t need to get the winch bumper or attachments. That winch box looks sketch as hell to me. I just see it snapping back into your hood or radiator when that box gives or the bolts shear because you have play from the plastic in between the plate and the box. Good luck hope you find your best solution.

Ford Bronco My portable "winch in a box" (better than nothing) creation 0A7B831C-6CA8-467C-96F0-105B2B442E5F

My concern with these is the reduction in approach angle. My front skid already has many significant hits. I think this chin bulge would just cause significantly issues. I have also gotten stuck the most against steep ledges that would make this unusable. The alternative is a high mount and I am not too keen on that either.
Sponsored