Sponsored

Headed to OBX next month. Do I need protectant spray on the undercarriage?

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One of the guys we’re going with recommended spraying a Woolwax undercarriage protectant to prevent rust from the salt water spray. Is that normal/common/recommended? We will be camping right on the beach. Wasn’t planning on driving through the water, but I guess there could be salt in the air especially with the humidity. Never camped at the beach with my car, so just looking for some experienced feedback here. Thanks!

Ford Bronco Headed to OBX next month. Do I need protectant spray on the undercarriage? IMG_3621
Sponsored

fdchief

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch, 1995 F250, 2018 Rebel R2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i dont use woolwax, but i use a similar product called fluid film on all my vehicles. i highly suggest using something to protect the undercarriage. ive been using it on my 95 super duty for 20 years and not one spot of rust on anything undercarriage except for the usual small surface stuff, and i live in Ohio where road salt and brine are a way of life in the winter. I use it on all my fire trucks as well and the undercarriages are very clean. and they get put in the worst environments.

Its a very cheap insurance policy in my eyes, i reapply a light coat every fall and it carries me thru the year.

Last edited:

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
i dont use woolwax, but i use a similar product called fluid film on all my vehicles. i highly suggest using something to protect the undercarriage. ive been using it on my 95 super duty for 20 years and not one spot of rust on anything undercarriage expect for the usual small surface stuff, and i live in Ohio where road salt and brine are a way of life in the winter. I use it on all my fire trucks as well and the undercarriages are very clean. and they get put in the worst environments.

Its a very cheap insurance policy in my eyes, i reapply a light coat every fall and it carries me thru the year.
Do you appy from a can like in the OP's post or a larger type of spray system?

fdchief

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you appy from a can like in the OP's post or a larger type of spray system?
i had a company do the initial application. then every year i reapply myself with a couple cans. i focus on the nooks and crannies so to speak where water and salt like to settle. Even having a company do it you should be in for less 250ish dollars to get it done and done properly.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
i had a company do the initial application. then every year i reapply myself with a couple cans. i focus on the nooks and crannies so to speak where water and salt like to settle. Even having a company do it you should be in for less 250ish dollars to get it done and done properly.
Thank you!

Sponsored

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

i dont use woolwax, but i use a similar product called fluid film on all my vehicles. i highly suggest using something to protect the undercarriage. ive been using it on my 95 super duty for 20 years and not one spot of rust on anything undercarriage except for the usual small surface stuff, and i live in Ohio where road salt and brine are a way of life in the winter. I use it on all my fire trucks as well and the undercarriages are very clean. and they get put in the worst environments.

Living in Michigan, Bronco on the way. How often does this need applied? I’ve been wondering how to combat road salt on a vehicle I want to have for a long time.

fdchief

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you!
Very Welcome! Good Luck! about any detailing company will usually offer undercoating as well. My local company here will do it for like 80 bucks when i get a vehicle detailed, and ive went that route a few times as well.

fdchief

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Living in Michigan, Bronco on the way. How often does this need applied? I’ve been wondering how to combat road salt on a vehicle I want to have for a long time.
i apply it every fall fairly liberally. Then once winter is over ill grab a can and just hit the nooks so to speak.. for both applications youll have maybe an hour in it... it is a very easy process.

One thing you may wanna check, the company i use to detail my vehicles offers it for like 80 dollars if they are doing a detail, so i schedule a detail usual on my newer vehicles and just have them do it while its in there. that may be an option if you dont feel like tackling it.

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One of the guys we’re going with recommended spraying a Woolwax undercarriage protectant to prevent rust from the salt water spray. Is that normal/common/recommended? We will be camping right on the beach. Wasn’t planning on driving through the water, but I guess there could be salt in the air especially with the humidity. Never camped at the beach with my car, so just looking for some experienced feedback here. Thanks!

Ford Bronco Headed to OBX next month. Do I need protectant spray on the undercarriage? IMG_3621
UNDERCOATING: Living in the NE, I have researched and decided to apply Woolwax right away when I get my new Bronco. I also live on/near several beaches and plan to drive in the sand often, as well as to endure the salting of the roads during our winter ski trips.

Woolwax and Fluid Film both protect vehicles’ undercarriages from rust and corrosion.
Eureka Chemical Company makes both products. Fluid Film and Woolwax are both good options and offer high-quality protection and coats the surface to prevent corrosion and restrict the spread of rust. Neither product dries out, so it provides long-term lubrication to your car.

Composition - both products use lanolin as their base. Woolwax focuses more on the waxiness of lanolin, while Fluid Film thins out the lanolin to use as a spray.

Woolwax vs. Fluid Film Comparison:
  • Consistency - Woolwax is thick, while Fluid Film is more liquid.
  • Reliability - As both products have the same manufacturer, however, Fluid Film’s thinner consistency means you should apply it more often. Woolwax is thick enough to last for years, even if you give your vehicle a high-pressure wash.

Sponsored

JackalOnassis

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m heading down to Corolla in July and I am 100% having the undercoating done prior. I don’t want any issues from driving on the beach so it seems like the best way to go.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wondering what OBX means in this context. Sounds like a place, outer banks of the east coast?

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

fdchief

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wondering what OBX means in this context. Sounds like a place, outer banks of the east coast?
OBX is an amazing spot to spend time in the summer on the Outer banks of Carolina, basically a chain of islands, that although have become a lil touristy in spots have some amazing places to relax. I go at least once a year and spend a week in Rodanthe.... look it up... there is so much to do and explore and still have that small town feel.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yep! All our models sans Base and Wild Track are named after actual camping/off-roading destinations. Raptor is named after Isla Nublar. ;)
Sponsored