First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is ridiculous. Whenever I start up my Bronco in public I get the stares lol.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like a diesel. Unfortunately this is a known issue if you happen to get a bad set. Good news is it's a warranty fix.

Oddly it seems like most people either get this issue right out of the gate, or they're fine.

OP
OP
Min_Ahn

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like a diesel. Unfortunately this is a known issue if you happen to get a bad set. Good news is it's a warranty fix.

Oddly it seems like most people either get this issue right out of the gate, or they're fine.
Yeah I sent this video to the service advisor and they booked me for a repair job no questions asked. What I'm worried about is the turnaround time though. Most of the related parts, especially the gaskets, are on backorder. I hope they'll give me an equivalent loaner at least.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I sent this video to the service advisor and they booked me for a repair job no questions asked. What I'm worried about is the turnaround time though. Most of the related parts, especially the gaskets, are on backorder. I hope they'll give me an equivalent loaner at least.
Seems like people have a really hard time getting loaners so make sure they got you covered.

The turn around time is prettty fast...but they actually have to pull the entire motor out to do it.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ahh... shit
Yeah no doubt..but sometimes it could be a good thing. I know at least 1 member had this issue ans while fixing it, the tech found multiple issues of things not connected fully, installed backwards etc.

I don't think there has been anyone who has had an issue afterwards...but it's definitely crazy to think about.

There is a video on you tube where a guy strips down the 2.7 engine.. doesn't take very long before you see why they have to yank it out to get to what they need...gone are the days of working on your own stuff :)

Coastalcop

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here’s the vid , though I believe there was an update to the 2.7 after 2018, don’t hold me to that, I read a LOT of stuff and have been known to get my “facts” out of order 😉

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2018 and up for F150, 2021 and up for Bronco and the new Rangers will also get it.
Everything else still gets a Gen 1.
Wow.. I didn't think they put older versions of engines and anything once they come out with a new version. That would suckto buy a new car and not get the latest version of an engine that's been out for quite some time.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wow.. I didn't think they put older versions of engines and anything once they come out with a new version. That would suckto buy a new car and not get the latest version of an engine that's been out for quite some time.
They usually tend to roll it out into a new redesign. The only 2 vehicles left with the Gen 1 are the Lincoln Nautilus and the Edge ST, neither of which have been redesigned or had a major update since receiving them.

OP
OP
Min_Ahn

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE

I dropped off the car on September 5, 2023, and picked it up on September 25, 2023. According to the service advisor, the extended duration was due to delays in sourcing all the parts. Once the parts were acquired, it took them two days to complete the assembly and perform a test drive.

Additionally, they have discontinued the replacement of the entire engine, as the supply chain issue is no longer a concern.

They had me in a brand new 2024 F150 Lariat with 20 miles on the meter as a loaner for the time being. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the experience. Of course, it should not have happened in the first place, and I hope it won't ever happen again.

Attached is the work order sheet for your reference.
Ford Bronco Cam phasers after 1 month (800 mi.) IMG_5082
Ford Bronco Cam phasers after 1 month (800 mi.) IMG_5083
Ford Bronco Cam phasers after 1 month (800 mi.) IMG_5084
Ford Bronco Cam phasers after 1 month (800 mi.) IMG_5085

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Break it in gently and change the oil early and often and you can avoid this happening again.

OP
OP
Min_Ahn

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Break it in gently and change the oil early and often and you can avoid this happening again.
The issue developed when the vehicle had 800 mi on the odometer. I never exceeded 2500 RPM.

According to the tech, Ford's been using, and continuing to use faulty cam phasers at the factory and they only replace them with the revised-new version if customers come back with an issue. It's somehow cheaper for them that way.

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"According to the tech, Ford's been using, and continuing to use faulty cam phasers at the factory and they only replace them with the revised-new version if customers come back with an issue. It's somehow cheaper for them that way"

Quality is Job#2, until there is a failure. Such a lovely way to do business....
Sponsored