Sponsored

Consumer reports reliability (Jeeps and Rivian)

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A) Consumer Reports hates Jeep. They consistently rate them terribly.

B) The Rubicon has been better built and higher quality by far. Here is my Pro/Con Sheet

22 Bronco
+ Bigger and Roomier
+ Better steering
+ Larger Infotainment screen
+ 35s stock!
+ 360 camera
+ Much larger cargo access door

21 Rubicon 4xe
+ Better interior materials
+ Better laid out controls
+ Better reliability in 2 years
+ Rear AC Vents!
+ Better stock tires
+ hard top is better quality
+ Framed doors don't rattle like hell every time you open them
+ Soft top fits better and does not have wave windows
+ Quieter interior
I get the wavy window comment, but it's only softies and seems to exaggerate if you prop the soft top up frequently. Mine so far after a year is not as bad as many I've seen, I consider that luck. Every Wrangler has wavy door sheet metal. I never understood why Jeep was never able to work this out. Once you see it, you will never un-see it.

Also, Bronco is more composed for 95% of the owner's intended use cases. The 5% of Jeep owners that build and crawl them are better suited with a Jeep, no doubt. There are compromises when one wants to rock hop boulders on 40's, you need a front axle to deal with the loads.

I don't need a SFA, so I'll never the ride quality penalty and buy a vehicle with one. I wanted a far road friendlier Wrangler and that is what the Bronco comes in as. Meeting the needs of 95% of Jeep buyers. It was a perfect move by Ford and their plan worked. I still want a modular top.
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love this, "rear A/C vents - dont care"

Aint my problem, I am the one up front and driving!😂
I can't remember the last time the rear seats were even set up! lol

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can’t resist lol framed doors are for entry level vehicles 🙄 so my 22 f250 platinum tremor 6.7 which came in around $92k msrp and the same truck as a 24 is approx. $104k msrp those are entry level huh
Yup, that's what I'm sayin'! lol
It's a truck, who cares how much you paid, it's still a truck!

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With a name like Hemi-sphere I detect more bias than you admit!

And I’m not aware of any recalls. It’s been to the shop 3x, each for a complimentary oil change. They do check for and install computer updates as part of that, but that’s it that I am aware of.
If having two Wranglers before my Bronco makes me biased, so be it, I came by it honestly, what your excuse?

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EX Wrangler Rubicon 2020 owner here.

I love the look of the interior in the Bronco far more than the Wrangler. It's just so sleek and minimal feeling. It does have more areas to scratch up though.

Only complaint I have about my tires (Badlands Sasquatch) are how badly they grab rocks.

Hardtop is better quality on the Jeep, I hate knowing my roof is stuffed with cardboard :(

I'm gonna disagree on the interior being more quiet. First thing I noticed when I handed over the keys to my Wrangler and drove off the lot with the Bronco was how it was more quiet. My wife said the same thing. I also feel like they hold heat and a/c better than the Jeep.

Anyways I chose the Bronco for 3 reasons:

1. I love the look of them. I just think Ford killed it in that regard.

2. More spacious interior. Always felt so cramped in the Jeep.

3. And the most important for me is on road comfort. I hated how my Jeep felt on road trips and the play in the wheel. The Bronco is smooth and I don't feel a need to stop every hour to stretch and walk around. Also, doesn't feel like I'm gonna shake apart going 70 down the highway so that's nice.

It's for these 3 reasons I'd buy it all over again. Hopefully you don't think this is a need to "justify my purchase bias" as I feel that's a lame way to write someone off. These are just individual experiences and opinions.

Cheers!
The rock throwing stopped pretty soon after I put some miles on them! JSYK

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The CR individual ratings are:

Bronco 37/100
Wrangler 27/100
Gladiator 40/100

For perspective:
4runner 87/100

It hard to explain why the Gladiator and Wrangler have such different ratings. It makes one question the methodology.

This is how CR creates the rankings:

Brands are ranked on average predicted reliability, based on CR member surveys.

Survey response bias much ...

"Based" on these ratings the Bronco is better but I wouldn't be crowing if I was a bronco owner...
I'm in a '21 Tacoma TRD Sport right now and I don't understand the hype!
Same year as my Bronco, 30% less miles and this truck is not very nice at all.
The whole truck shakes at idle, the seats are too low the ride isn't bad, but it's also not good, the power is crap, feels like its a 4, when it's a V6.
The navigation is a joke, only shows main roads and the audio does not lower with nav and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust.
My roommate has a 4 Runner and I don't think it's any different!
It may be reliable, but at the cost of low power and ancient tech, no thank you!

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yup, that's what I'm sayin'! lol
It's a truck, who cares how much you paid, it's still a truck!
Trucks are the new luxury vehicles, where you been lol

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If having two Wranglers before my Bronco makes me biased, so be it, I came by it honestly, what your excuse?
I’m not sure I am. I own both and think both have pros and cons. I think Ford overall did a good job with the design, but had some misses with it too. I also think there are some quality issues. I’ve owned around 12 new cars(7 of them Ford’s) and this bronco has had more little warranty issues than all 12 of the others combined.

The powertrain has been solid, but quality is definitely not job 1 anymore.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not sure I am. I own both and think both have pros and cons. I think Ford overall did a good job with the design, but had some misses with it too. I also think there are some quality issues. I’ve owned around 12 new cars(7 of them Ford’s) and this bronco has had more little warranty issues than all 12 of the others combined.

The powertrain has been solid, but quality is definitely not job 1 anymore.
Well, that’s you!
I think my Wranglers were tractors compared to my Bronco and I don’t understand how you could honestly think any different, but you do, so there’s that! lol
We’ll agree to disagree I suppose…
Ive put about 35,000 miles on my Bronco, been to Moab and Death Valley twice and go out as much as I can in the mountains of BC, I haven’t even taken my Bronco in for service other than oil changes…it’s the best new vehicle I’ve owned.

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My '19 F150 holds my current personal record for most times in the shop within the first 20K miles...

My first ever Ford is a 2012 F150 - almost 200k! I'm not a bring it in for every little thing but I was impressed enough to be a Day 1 Bronco reservation holder and could not be happier with my 2DR, 2.7, MT, SAS

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trucks are the new luxury vehicles, where you been lol
Only in a fools eye! lol
a truck will always be a truck, no matter how fancy and there’s nothing wrong with that! 👍

Obeh4ve

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The rock throwing stopped pretty soon after I put some miles on them! JSYK
Some off road tires are often designed to eject rocks. It's even a selling point for some manufacturers. My new guy take on this is; this is mainly a recirculating topic for discussion because the Bronco rocker panels take such a beating from rocks. My wife's RRS has 100K plus miles on it with no mud flaps and almost no rock chips. The designed in lower cladding eliminates the issue quite well. Life is a non stop string of compromises. This is an easy and fairly cheap fix.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only in a fools eye! lol
a truck will always be a truck, no matter how fancy and there’s nothing wrong with that! 👍
Hey no need for name callin 😉 lol

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Apparently I've gotten lucky. My six Jeep vehicles (five Wranglers, including my current JL) I've owned to date were among my most reliable.

My '19 F150 holds my current personal record for most times in the shop within the first 20K miles...
My 2013 JK was purchased new in July of 2013 and I traded in that POS in SEPT of 2013. It was in the shop at least twice a month. My old 07 JK was rock solid. I bought it used sometime in 2015 or 16 (~65K on the clock and in need of some minimal work -- an injector, new tires, new top) and drove it to well over 225K. Rock solid car and I wish I hadn't sold it, but I sold it during the peak of the car prices so i made money on it. lol

My current Bronco is fine, just weird issues, but I chalk that up to it being a first year of a new model, however the cheap interior materials is just annoying laughably stupid.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My 2013 JK was purchased new in July of 2013 and I traded in that POS in SEPT of 2013. It was in the shop at least twice a month. My old 07 JK was rock solid. I bought it used sometime in 2015 or 16 (~65K on the clock and in need of some minimal work -- an injector, new tires, new top) and drove it to well over 225K. Rock solid car and I wish I hadn't sold it, but I sold it during the peak of the car prices so i made money on it. lol

My current Bronco is fine, just weird issues, but I chalk that up to it being a first year of a new model, however the cheap interior materials is just annoying laughably stupid.
Again, apparently I got lucky on the dice rolls. My '13 JK was fantastic outside the timing cover and front axle oil leaks, both of which occurred before 60K miles.

On the bold, I spent a bit of time in a relative's 4-door OBX over Thanksgiving weekend and have to agree. It reminded me somewhat of GM's Playskool interiors of the '90s to be honest, especially the instrument panel. Didn't care at all for the floppy windows either, my '15 Mustang's windows are frameless too and don't do this.
Sponsored