Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes it can be done, driving an electric car long distances, but the extra required charging time will make it unacceptable to me. It takes me 4.5hrs to drive to Dallas, TX. in a gasoline vehicle. That same trip in a Tesla would take 6 hours minimum. That same trip in an electric vehicle without Supercharging capability could take 18-24 hours. My house charger tops out at 24 miles/hour rate (150 mile range in ~6 hours). If I'm stuck using a 110V outlet it would be 4 miles/hour charge rate (150 mile range in ~1.5 days). The Tesla Superchargers can get over 150 miles/hour charge rates which make the Tesla's barely acceptable for road trips.
How many miles from you to dallas? The Rivians have something like 400 miles. And the cybertruck is 500 miles if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Forgot to mention a big factor with electric vehicles and range: Temperature. This is also highlighted in the show. Where they start is super cold so they had huge issues with charging and driving range the first few episodes. But as they get to warmer climates, you see the vehicles going a lot further. This is a hurdle that is going to be on the minds of electric vehicle producers for a long time.
Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it can be done, driving an electric car long distances, but the extra required charging time will make it unacceptable to me. It takes me 4.5hrs to drive to Dallas, TX. in a gasoline vehicle. That same trip in a Tesla would take 6 hours minimum. That same trip in an electric vehicle without Supercharging capability could take 18-24 hours. My house charger tops out at 24 miles/hour rate (150 mile range in ~6 hours). If I'm stuck using a 110V outlet it would be 4 miles/hour charge rate (150 mile range in ~1.5 days). The Tesla Superchargers can get over 150 miles/hour charge rates which make the Tesla's barely acceptable for road trips.
Why would you be stuck using a 110V outlet?

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been watching and anticipating the move to electric cars closely for years. My Dad has his second Tesla Model S (he had the very first one and just got the newest one) and I really like that car. However, he lives in California in an area that has free charging stations everywhere (stores, restaurants, golf courses, etc) so he doesn't even have a charger installed at his house. He also stays within that area so he never has to worry about running out of charge.

Don't hold it against me but I also reserved a Cybertruck (and cancelled it shortly after reserving my Bronco).

I live on the front range of Colorado and go to the mountains year round (and often). There just isn't a good charging infrastructure here (especially in the mountains). I'm sure it can be managed but it would be far from ideal and there would be limitations to work around.

Long story short... I'm all for the move to electric but where I live and how I would use it, it's just not very practical.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How many miles from you to dallas? The Rivians have something like 400 miles. And the cybertruck is 500 miles if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Forgot to mention a big factor with electric vehicles and range: Temperature. This is also highlighted in the show. Where they start is super cold so they had huge issues with charging and driving range the first few episodes. But as they get to warmer climates, you see the vehicles going a lot further. This is a hurdle that is going to be on the minds of electric vehicle producers for a long time.
The temperature does play a factor, but what is more detrimental is speed. The Tesla range is calculated from 'best case scenarios at 62mph". If you drive 70mph you will lose 20-30 miles of range. If you drive 75mph you will lose nearly 75 miles of range. If you drive 80mph, that Tesla 500 mile range will drop to maybe 300. I was once rushed to get to Stillwater (90 miles away) and had "180 miles" range. At 80-85 mph I barely made it to Stillwater and had to limp to a charging station before I could leave.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would you be stuck using a 110V outlet?
If you are out in the middle of nowhere and not within range of a real dedicated charging location. The Tesla can make it from Tulsa to Dallas, but ONLY if you take the specified route between charging stations. No off-the-beaten-paths can be considered.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are out in the middle of nowhere and not within range of a real dedicated charging location. The Tesla can make it from Tulsa to Dallas, but ONLY if you take the specified route between charging stations. No off-the-beaten-paths can be considered.
Oh you’re talking about out on the road? I thought you were talking about at your house.

den_jkur

First Edition
First Name
Deepu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've been watching and anticipating the move to electric cars closely for years. My Dad has his second Tesla Model S (he had the very first one and just got the newest one) and I really like that car. However, he lives in California in an area that has free charging stations everywhere (stores, restaurants, golf courses, etc) so he doesn't even have a charger installed at his house. He also stays within that area so he never has to worry about running out of charge.

Don't hold it against me but I also reserved a Cybertruck (and cancelled it shortly after reserving my Bronco).

I live on the front range of Colorado and go to the mountains year round (and often). There just isn't a good charging infrastructure here (especially in the mountains). I'm sure it can be managed but it would be far from ideal and there would be limitations to work around.

Long story short... I'm all for the move to electric but where I live and how I would use it, it's just not very practical.
I live in the front range too and own a Tesla Model 3 and JKUR (to be replaced by the Bronoco). I mostly use the Jeep for trips up to the mountains in summer (off-roading) and Tesla for weekend ski trip and local commute.

The charging network has improved a lot in the last year, there is a new super charger in Conifer and Idaho Springs that are 250 Kw V3 charging and are much faster than the older one's. I agree EV charging network needs to be improve and EVs do require more trip planning.

Lack of a supercharging network is one major challenge Rivian and other EV manufacturers will face in terms of adoption..

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the Braptor/Warthog comes in at 70k and I can get into a Rivian for the same ballpark...I'll have a hard time making up my mind.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Thats crazy that you were going to get a Cybertruck and switched to a Bronco.....I wanted one too, but I can only imagine what the wait would be signing up now.
Sponsored