Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is a good comparison video--clearly shows the suspension differences between BD (connected) and BL (diconnected), and then vs. Jeeps, on the same terrain.

The BD would have pulled right through most of that stuff with a rear and/or front locker. Add a pair of front swaybar disconnects and it's on par with the BL.

With the IFS platform... Ford really did a great thing by allowing the choice of front and rear lockers in the Sasquatch package, across every trim level.
Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm curious to know of the BD is using his rear locker or not? Doesn't look like it in the video.
I do not think they are. That last off-camber piece was evidence that they were not. Wheel spin front and rear. Another reason I am so glad I got the BD. Rear lockers will make a huge difference.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Damn, makes me wanna get to Roush Creek Bad. Hopefully soon enough. Dying to know how my Stock BD 2 Dr would do.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't think so... I think we're at Basesquatch (maybe), BD, OBX, Badlands and a FE.

Actually, all we need is a BB & WT to round out the entire lineup, lol.
My radio just came in
Did you get one?

Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My radio just came in
Did you get one?
I have not. I want to do a good search for the Motorola 2ways I have somewhere in this house. If I can't find them, I'll likely pick something up. Or my FIL might have a radio.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep...notice the Badlands wasn't locked in a couple spots where it could have been to make work a little easier. Look for fast single front wheel spin in a couple spots.
Also looks like the front sway bar was not disconnected. Not sure why he would not use all the tools in his bag. Smoke em if you got em.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep...notice the Badlands wasn't locked in a couple spots where it could have been to make work a little easier. Look for fast single front wheel spin in a couple spots.
Also looks like the front sway bar was not disconnected. Not sure why he would not use all the tools in his bag. Smoke em if you got em.
There was two separate Broncos.

I was confused for a second because the first Bronco made it up on the trail easily the first time around, but the second time it clearly struggled and obviously didn't have lockers or a sway-bar. But that's cause it was two separate vehicles.
  • The first Bronco was a Cactus gray MIC Badlands that I assume belongs to @Werkedperformance
  • Then there was a second Cactus gray Bronco with a soft top. The badging on the side was removed from that one and it had aftermarket tires/wheels. I assume it is a Big Bend—it has white lettering on the grille, so it's not base. But it also has a plastic rear bumper, so it's not Black Diamond. (EDIT: But it looks like it has rock rails, so maybe it is a Black Diamond and the back bumper just looks plastic? Or maybe they just bought the rock rail accessory, not sure. Either way, clearly doesn't have front lockers, and it looks like it doesn't have rear lockers either.)

Last edited:

Shawntrex

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice! Heading there next weekend with a bunch of dudes from this forum!
Watching that video really makes me want to try mine out on some of those trails... Just a bit nervous though since the only wheeling I have done was with some beater jeeps several years ago. Any chance you have room for another in the group?

OP
OP
MWILD

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I do not think they are. That last off-camber piece was evidence that they were not. Wheel spin front and rear. Another reason I am so glad I got the BD. Rear lockers will make a huge difference.
Good point. I'm honestly surprised it did that well. Everything that I've seen up until this points shows the Bronco's BLD system to be underwhelming.

Seems like a BB/BD/OBX with a rear locker and decent tires will do great on a lot of trails.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good point. I'm honestly surprised it did that well. Everything that I've seen up until this points shows the Bronco's BLD system to be underwhelming.

Seems like a BB/BD/OBX with a rear locker and decent tires will do great on a lot of trails.
Yeah I wouldn't be worried about performance of the BB/BD/OBX on trails for those who just have the rear locker. Most people in that situation are probably just "weekenders" (for the lack of a better term) anyway, and are unlikely to stick their Bronco in situations where front lockers are truly necessary. And if you are, you probably got the Sasquatch package.

The fact that Ford even offers a real rear locker on lower trim vehicle is pretty awesome. Normally you'd expect to get nothing but a limited slip differential until you got to the higher trims.

S4DDLUP

Wildtrak
First Name
J.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 '94 Bronco, '15 F-Type S, '11 TL, '16 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I get excited watching all of the wheeling videos posted but some parts make me wince when I see a bad line taken and it just pulls right on through. I think it helps put some of us who haven't been out in ours' mind at ease because the truck handles just about everything with no effort. Love seeing novice drivers in the mix, too. Can't wait to get out to Moab for the Off-Rodeo in February. Happy Trails!

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice video. I'm all in on the Bronco but it's pretty obvious the Jeep articulation is significantly better. The IFS trade off is worth it to me though.

BTW - the 4th vehicle (Jeep with snorkel) was just like...line? Nah, I'll just gun it
Ya! Zero $hits given! Long drive from SE Washington but looks hella fun. I'll stick to the craggy basalt draws around here (when I get my Bronco). Have fun yall!

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

When we di off-rodeo in Austin, we only used the front locker on one obstacle. All others were either none or rear only. I also think the fact that it was so wet in the video made a huge difference.

WingedBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

absolutely!

It's a mix, newbies (like myself) and some really experienced guys. We're still working out the details, but I'll add you to the chain once it gets started.
I used to wheel this
Ford Bronco Black Diamond and Badlands Broncos vs. Jeeps Off-Roading 1639066561370
Sponsored