Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think portals will be relatively safe on 37s but no different than not running portals. I just don't see them being the means to safely run 40s. I think people miss understand that I am more worried about the actual functionality of running big tires with more offset. You are trying to leverage over a larger tire, with more offset with steering that I consider mediocre. Even with HOSS 3.0 you can't really control the tire and you end up bound up with just 37s on low offset.

I will also say bigger tire hop more when the do hop. Going to be interesting to see how well the added leverage and suspension work in the end. I still think people will hop and puke front end parts.
Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think portals will be relatively safe on 37s but no different than not running portals. I just don't see them being the means to safely run 40s. I think people miss understand that I am more worried about the actual functionality of running big tires with more offset. You are trying to leverage over a larger tire, with more offset with steering that I consider mediocre. Even with HOSS 3.0 you can't really control the tire and you end up bound up with just 37s on low offset.

I will also say bigger tire hop more when the do hop. Going to be interesting to see how well the added leverage and suspension work in the end. I still think people will hop and puke front end parts.
Probably part of the reasoning behind Quinn recommending to top out at 38's. He also doesn't want anyone to go portals until their rack and tie rods have been addressed. He knows since the rec portals have the same gears as the 4600s, something else will break before the portals do. Street is fine; rocks quite different.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco has been running 40's for awhile, right? I don't know, maybe he's got the upgraded axles and hydrasteer? Or is it only with portals you're thinking it's necessary w/40's?

Quinn did tell me that 38's are all you'll really need (what he has on his two Broncos) and that there are other issues going up to 40's. I thought he was referring to body damage, but it could very well be driveline etc. he meant.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I absolutely agree with the Steering.... Number one weakness in any IFS. That is why I am going with the 74 Weld rack and the RPG tie rods with double shear heim. My wheel offset will be a +30.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco has been running 40's for awhile, right? I don't know, maybe he's got the upgraded axles and hydrasteer? Or is it only with portals you're thinking it's necessary w/40's?

Quinn did tell me that 38's are all you'll really need (what he has on his two Broncos) and that there are other issues going up to 40's. I thought he was referring to body damage, but it could very well be driveline etc. he meant.
Funny though, he origionally put 40s on that Bronco, then changed them to 38s. He runs 40s on his own jeep with similar portals and there have been Tacomas coming out of their shop (74 Weld's shop) running 40s but they have the portals plus a suspension lift, even though they are recomeding 37s with the Tacoma and portals only.... Examples are on their you tube channel.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

@BigMeatsBronco has hoss 3.0 + icon tie rods. His Bronco handles the 40s just fine on the trail and the street. He has 5.38 32 spl fdu, and 5.38 gears in his original rear. I was planning on going the same route, but after adding up all the cost, and talking to Quinn, I'm gonna go portal/40s simply because it's tech i wanna gain experience with! Also Dana had my order for months and didn't fill it! Quinn took my reservation on a handshake deal (I offered cash up front, but he declined), and He is only a few weeks behind on his target. Quinn didn't try to steer me away from 40s at all. I'm gonna keep 37s mounted as a tire down option (I can't align it on 40s for instance). Hopefully soon I will have some real world results for you guys!

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco has hoss 3.0 + icon tie rods. His Bronco handles the 40s just fine on the trail and the street. He has 5.38 32 spl fdu, and 5.38 gears in his original rear. I was planning on going the same route, but after adding up all the cost, and talking to Quinn, I'm gonna go portal/40s simply because it's tech i wanna gain experience with! Also Dana had my order for months and didn't fill it! Quinn took my reservation on a handshake deal (I offered cash up front, but he declined), and He is only a few weeks behind on his target. Quinn didn't try to steer me away from 40s at all. I'm gonna keep 37s mounted as a tire down option (I can't align it on 40s for instance). Hopefully soon I will have some real world results for you guys!
I can't really afford it all until probably this time next year (bonus time), so I'll definitely be paying attention! There's gonna be some things to learn.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Portals are done and on pallets.... waiting on something though... If I were to guess I think it may be the new axles???? Should be shipping soon.

I love the fact he did it on a handshake but at the same time was worried that maybe someone else would sneak in and put money down. I kept trying to get him money and he kept blowing me off on that end. I finally got him to take money when I uppgraded the tie rods for the rack through him.... He told me $875 just the same as it shows on the RPG site and then only charged me $850.... I really think the guy is forth right. I am really impressed with him.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Well exodus dropped some photos
_nc_ohc=yOg9IiC6DMAAX9o37oq&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=e1COp-ZrtUYAX-BkaD1&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=fr3wejYIXvsAX_mG6d1&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg
Well those are 38/13.50s .... while running the 2.5 inch fox coil overs? or are those the HOSS 3 coil overs? starting to think they are the HOSS 3 because of the resi mount location. and that the LCAs are flat.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

quinn mentioned on the last tech video regarding portal development he wanted to minimize both lift and width because he didn't like vehicles to be too tall (for him to climb into...) and too wide.

personally, i can't see ever going to bigger than 37" + portals without running into height restrictions entering my garage. i'm not planning on putting enough armor and weight on the vehicle to offset that!

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs