Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what happens when you lock your keys in the bronco and the batteries in the keypad die? can you get in or are you stranded?
FordPass could be a backup but you would otherwise need a locksmith at that point.
Sponsored

cactus_jack

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Presumably if you have a Bronco, you would be into adventure stuff such as skiing, hiking, biking, canoeing, etc. where taking a Key FOB that could get damaged, lost or submerged is not ideal.
Also, you might loose the fob in the ladies restroom at the mall.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what happens when you lock your keys in the bronco and the batteries in the keypad die? can you get in or are you stranded?
very unlikely as it's powered by the car battery i think

GTI2Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So the car locks with the keys inside right? I've never had that feature, but I would definitely use it when I go hike or climb and don't wanna take anything but the bare essentials. I'm assuming to lock it you have to enter the password too, otherwise lots of people would get locked out lol

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Auxilliary switches are already connected to the fuse box. There is a short pigtail for each under the dash and the other end comes out under the hood. The Owner's Manual will list which switches are fused to what amperage.

The keypad is an awesome feature. I have had it on several vehicles.
I think you upsold me on both.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
very unlikely as it's powered by the car battery i think
Looks like it is battery operated. I suppose it is the same as the keypad for my garage door. Which reminds me, I need to replace that battery!

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since we're talking about keypads and FordPass... Does FordPass work without data on your phone, i.e. at a trailhead with no cell service? The website is a bit vague. It looks like it has its own hotspot to connect to (like a Google Chromecast), but just wanted to verify.

Chris

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2. Kayaking/Mountain Biking/Dirt Biking?etc...zero chance of losing keys when doing any outdoor activity.
Yeah, so funny story about that... was mountain biking once, took a pretty good spill. Guess my keys were in my Camelbak in an open pocket and must've flew out. Obv didn't realize until I got back to my car. Couldn't get into the car. Was in an area with no cell service. So Onstar couldn't help. Plus all they could do was open the car for me, not start it. Had to find a phone in a restaurant and asked to use it to call my wife to bring the backup set of keys. She packed up the baby, got in her car and drove like an hour from home. (she was thrilled :cautious:)

So it does have it's uses. If you plan on being in area's with no cell service.

PSA: always, ALWAYS attach your car keys to whatever pack you're wearing.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Good to know - so I guess we add to Ford’s profits then.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, so funny story about that... was mountain biking once, took a pretty good spill. Guess my keys were in my Camelbak in an open pocket and must've flew out. Obv didn't realize until I got back to my car. Couldn't get into the car. Was in an area with no cell service. So Onstar couldn't help. Plus all they could do was open the car for me, not start it. Had to find a phone in a restaurant and asked to use it to call my wife to bring the backup set of keys. She packed up the baby, got in her car and drove like an hour from home. (she was thrilled :cautious:)

So it does have it's uses. If you plan on being in area's with no cell service.

PSA: always, ALWAYS attach your car keys to whatever pack you're wearing.
Pays for itself right there. Crazy story, at least your wife brought you the spare, not 100% mine would do the same, at least not right away...
Lucky you were just an hour from home...not 6 hours away...
To me, this is a defining feature of a Ford, a feature I bring up often to non-Ford owners when they talk about getting keys locked in the car or losing keys...
I am not a fan of the this stick on style keypad vs a built in, but its a feature I need, so it is what it is...

Sponsored

Cmeyers186

First Edition
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have had them on previous vehicles. However, it was suggested that it is movable (to under the gas cap filler door). That would be news to me as I thought it was hardwired. I am assuming it has NOT evolved to a non-hardwired version.
It isn't movable. I think that guy was suggesting he would hide his actual key behind the gas door.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Auxilliary switches are already connected to the fuse box. There is a short pigtail for each under the dash and the other end comes out under the hood. The Owner's Manual will list which switches are fused to what amperage.

The keypad is an awesome feature. I have had it on several vehicles.
On the raptor the aux switch wires are on the pass side under the hood easy to work with.

Streetbob08

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Harley.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
#1 Keypad. This keypad looks like the ones that Ford came out with when I was still working at the dealership. It is just a stick on keypad. Essentially it is a fob, just 3M taped to the door. I have a bolted in keypad on my F150 and the only things I use it for is getting into my truck when I am warming up the truck in the winter and lock it before going back in the house. To get something out of the truck when I am at work and the keys are still in my toolbox. #3 Aux wiring. Yes they are pre-wired. I would think to the front bumper, windshield base, roof and rear. #4 Roof rack. 50/50. Some models I had to install the entire thing, some only the crossbars. #5 Tires. Don't worry about it the aftermarket will have it figured out by the time they can get wheels for the Bronco. without lifting it I would imagine 33's are about it.

RonM0710

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge; Suz. XL7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Pass is completely separate from the keypad. Ford Pass is a cell phone app, the keypad is a physical device. Look at almost any other Ford to see what the keypad might look like.
Most Ford Keypads are invisible until you touch them. The one going on Bronco is a stick on one. Looks cheap and cost $110.
Sponsored