Sponsored

POLL: what powertrain are you choosing at order time?

What powertrain are you choosing at order time?

• Total voters

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2.3 manual.
Because I miss stick. In my current vehicle, my left foot still involuntarily steps on a clutch pedal that isn't there and my right hand reaches for the stick.

And the hubby (even though I will be trying to keep him away from my Bronco) tends to "eat" the automatic transmissions in my cars the few times I've had one.?
What is hubby doing to damage an auto transmission? Revving it in neutral and then slamming into gear to screech the tires? Jam it from reverse to forward without first coming to a complete stop?
Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
V6 all day.

If we look at my vehicle history, including 0-60 times....
1996 Dodge Ram B2500 Van, 5.2L V8, 11 seconds
2008 Mercury Milan, 2.3L I4, 10 seconds
2010 Mercury Milan, 2.5L I4, 9.5 seconds

I got really sick of driving cars that needed a running start to pass anyone. As such, my current vehicle:
2016 Ford Flex, 3.5L EcoBoost V6, 6.0 seconds (...? Never timed it after getting a tuner)

My wife is currently driving the 2010 Milan and complains about how slow it is. For $1,900 we'll get the fast engine.
If you already know that you’re an automatic transmission person then the upgrade from 2.3 to 2.7 is only about $300.

That there is an easy decision. :cool:

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
wow, i didnt know so many people wanted the 2.7, might have to follow the herd and get the twin turbo aswell!
The upgrade cost from 2.3 to 2.7 is a no brainer -provided that you were already going to have an automatic transmission.

I can’t really see any reason to go with the 2.3 unless you’re a manual transmission fanatic.

The higher gas mileage might be worth it in the very long run, if you’re really concerned about that (in which case, a mountain climbing refrigerator is a poor life choice), but at the current low oil prices I just don’t see it. Better to Get the extra cylinders, and the engine that’s been proven in the F150.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This poll is very telling, and about what I expected to see. The good majority of the Broncos on the road are going to zooming around in 6 cylinder ATs.
I'd be curious to see if it wasn't a $300 upgrade on most models what it would be? I'd jump on it if it were on the Base and/or if I were keeping it for many years.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you already know that you’re an automatic transmission person then the upgrade from 2.3 to 2.7 is only about $300.

That there is an easy decision. :cool:
Somehow it's still an $1800 upgrade on OBX despite coming standard with 2.3/Auto

Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Somehow it's still an $1800 upgrade on OBX despite coming standard with 2.3/Auto
I had to go check this out for myself and holy crap - you’re right! What the hell?

On Badlands it’s only like $300 extra, when used together with the automatic transmission.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't had a MT in about 14 years. Everytime I have the debate in my head about whether I want the MT vs AT I remember when it took me 5 hours to go about 70 miles. My left leg was so crampy, I was about in tears. Then again, I wonder if what would ever happen again.
Shoot pull over next time and order chicken wings continue after mess clears up??

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wow, I never realized that other builds were getting screwed on the choice between 2.3 to 2.7, and manual vs automatic

in Badlands (and Black Diamond, if I remember correctly) you can upgrade to both 2.7 and auto for a net increase of only $300 more compared to adding the auto to 2.3.

so what’s a no brainer for me doesn’t look the same for base or OBX

WOW, you’re getting screwed at OBX

Ford Bronco POLL:  what powertrain are you choosing at order time? FC7E1F62-8F6D-4F81-930D-C93A49D1B4BC

Ford Bronco POLL:  what powertrain are you choosing at order time? 483E545F-169D-4C79-BCF0-BBF98EBF46A6
Ford Bronco POLL:  what powertrain are you choosing at order time? FC7E1F62-8F6D-4F81-930D-C93A49D1B4BC
Ford Bronco POLL:  what powertrain are you choosing at order time? 483E545F-169D-4C79-BCF0-BBF98EBF46A6

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.3L/Auto, why? CINC House said Auto. Drove a Ranger with the 2.3L, and that confirmed to me that the engine has more power than my previous Bronco did (7.5L '79, 4 speed) and the 4.7 gears will more than make up for the tire difference (33 vs 35). Looking at Basesquatch, the 2.7L is $1800, so it is not worth it to me.

Chunk6649

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Shoot pull over next time and order chicken wings continue after mess clears up??
It was after Caribana festival weekend in Toronto. It was all just traffic on the QEW pretty much to the US border. Pulling over, I'd eventually just be at the end of the line.

Sponsored

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.3 MT... Not worried about power or speed. Have the Ranger 2.3 AT and a MT sports car. Just think the MT will be interesting and for some reason not super interested in the V6. Can use the money saved for the BL high/lux package.

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2.3 7MT because for me nothing beats rowing your own gears, and it keeps me more attentive to the vehicle and everything around me. Driving my truck (which is auto) I find myself dazing off and letting my mind wander since the experience is so dull and monotonous.

Plus I just like turbo 4s and how they sound.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What is hubby doing to damage an auto transmission? Revving it in neutral and then slamming into gear to screech the tires? Jam it from reverse to forward without first coming to a complete stop?
Yes and yes.
And at times my kid and I swear that Dad forgets the accelerator pedal is not the kick pedal on a bass drum.??

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
...I'll be getting the 2dr base with the 2.7 w/auto 10...300.dollars upgrade is a..steal..with the aux switched..that's it...on the A/Z..plan..

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After answering please explain why. If undecided please let us know what you are debating between and why.

Thanks for playing!
Because manual or bust
Sponsored