Sponsored

POLL: what powertrain are you choosing at order time?

What powertrain are you choosing at order time?

• Total voters

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Based on what I've read it will be a motor that lasts longer than the 4-cylinder.

The auto will give out before the manual (we hope) so it is a trade-off. Hopefully the trans lasts longer than the 4-cylinder engine.

Plus, moar power!
Take care of anything and it should last forever. 2.0L 4 popper in my Lancer has 245,000 miles and still purring.
Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As I mentioned I am getting the 2.7, but optimal gearing regardless of the size of these two engines will most like produce similar MPGs.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Generally 4 cylinders don't push 270hp either....
the 4 banger in my golf makes more than that stock from the factory with a smaller displacement. 270 hp from a 4 cylinder of 2.3L is no longer a surprising or exceptional concept.

the bronco with a 2.3L and 7speed MT is going to feel like a rocket ship compared to my old '96 land rover with about 60% the horsepower and torque with similar weight.

Hjhof

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Undecided but heavily leaning towards 2.7 auto. If not 2.3 auto, Iā€™ve had a manual for the last 6 years, my girlfriend will probably drive this from time to time so itā€™s time to give up the manual.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I can see results changing after the $1,595 increase for automatic and paying full price for 2.7.

Sponsored

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2.7 with auto in a 4-door Badlands.

My knees and ankle are no longer fond of manuals, so I stick with automatics these days.

As for 2.7 vs 2.3, I am still skeptical of Ford's 4-cyl motors, especially in a heavier vehicle. I also prefer the torque and power increase of the 2.7. I'm not very concerned about gas mileage for this vehicle. The only appeal to me of the 2.3 is the lower price, and that's not a big enough factor.

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both the 2.3 and 2.7 have the same tow rating
Yes, and there is more available total torque and HP in the 2.7. While possible to meet the SAE J2807 Davis Dam test with the 2.3; the 2.7 will be a more robust long term solution for hauling the additional load. I prefer to have torque margin in case of any other challenges (minor system failures, payload increases). We have significant terrain variation (mountains) in our area and elevation is a possible factor. Twin turbo design will compensate slightly more in the power band than a single turbo. Iā€™m unable to calculate how much more margin the 2.7 will have if/when maxed out under load since I donā€™t have any dyno results from the Bronco application yet.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

From what I can tell, the weight limitations are more about the rear suspension that is common to all Broncos than the motorā€™s capabilities, since the 2.3 is rated for significantly more in the leaf-sprung Ranger (7500lb).

Finally... the other half wants an automatic and I would be super tempted to tick the manual box if I stayed with the 2.3. For your applications, might work just fine, especially if you arenā€™t going to be flirting with maximum payload/towing/GCWR.

If I thought I would fit under the safari bar in the FCA truck version which will remain un-named I would probably be dropping my $$ on it.

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After answering please explain why. If undecided please let us know what you are debating between and why.

Thanks for playing!
2.3 MT
I just want the MT. Itā€™s not my DD and will just be super fun to drive around. Also I have the Ranger with this engine and 10 speed AT. Iā€™m not a fan of the transmission. Just my opinion and I know Iā€™m prob in the minority.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1 word. POWER!!!!!!!
In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson the great, speed and power solves any problem

Sponsored

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Until today I was set on 2.7 and auto, but the recent B&P change makes me somewhat concerned about staying in budget on that, so I may end up knocking it down to the 2.3 and auto.

(Also, if there is like a 3 mpg difference between the two, Iā€™d take the better one, gotta stretch the 16.9 gallon tank on the 2 door as far as possible!)

Sundancer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 2018 F150 2.7 10 speed. I love the 2.7, can't believe the power it has and great mileage for a pickup. Now for the 10 speed, at low speeds it sucks, hunts for a gear, high revving and jumps hard 2 to 3. My lease is up in June was thinking maybe a Bronco but with all these delays no thanks. If the 2021 F150 10 speed isn't any better than the 18 I will be looking for something else.

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having old V8s EBs, I can't really see myself with a 4 banger bronco. I really like the control of the manual over auto, but I prefer more torque of the auto and the 2.7. My 2 old EBs are a manual and an auto. The manual is so much more fun to drive and it has a fun personality (especially off road). The auto is solid and works well (also boring) but I can't get the 2.3.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Waiting for the Base Mansquatch.

But since I'm also a Granger 2022, next year's prices could go too high.

Might get a Base Base with a V6/10A instead.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Having old V8s EBs, I can't really see myself with a 4 banger bronco. I really like the control of the manual over auto, but I prefer more torque of the auto and the 2.7. My 2 old EBs are a manual and an auto. The manual is so much more fun to drive and it has a fun personality (especially off road). The auto is solid and works well (also boring) but I can't get the 2.3.
3 on the tree EB fun to drive...really? :confused:
Sponsored