Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good sir, I will not be stepping outside of my carriage and risk scuffing my Louboutins to manually do anything on the trail.
Hear Hear good Sir! Next thing you know these cretin's will be perfectly fine with you getting mud on your waxed cotton Brooks Brothers jacket!

dudleyl

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Ford Explorer XLT AWD V8/19 Chevy Traverse
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In the next few days we will be ordering our new Bronco Wildtrak AND a Wrangler Rubicon. We will be doing a series of comparisons starting with the ordering process culminating with off/on-road performance testing. We are trying to match the options as close as possible to do a fair comparison.

The current status of this endeavor is we have an appointment to order our Bronco 2/15/2021. Based on feedback from the dealer on delivery, we will time our Wrangler order to arrive similarly.

It's difficult to make the vehicles exactly the same. And arguably different models may compare better. This is our best shot based on our reservation and personal preferences. It took quite a few options to make the Wrangler competitive with the Bronco. We have a few days before we need to lock in our Bronco and probably months before ordering the Wrangler, so any suggestions to make them more comparable are welcome. We have left a few options off both so we can compare adding those after delivery (i.e. winches, lifts, 37-40"" tires, tire carrier, leather)

Here is our configurations: (UPDATED with Badlands)

2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Sasquatch $2,495
LUX Package $5,085
MIC Roof
Towing $595
Rock Rails $595
$58,445

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Red Paint $245
Front Camera $595
Black Hard Top $1,395
8.4 Nav with Alpine Premium Audio $1,895
Remote Start $495
Keyless Entry $545
Advanced Safety $795
Safety Group $895
Trailer-Tow $795
LED Lighting $1,295
Steel Bumper Group $1,645
Cold Weather Group $995
3.6L Engine $1,500
8-Speed Trans $1,500
Rock-Trac 4WD $695
$58,500

So the first comparison is value. the vehicles are coming in within a couple thousand dollars. The Bronco edging out the Rubicon. However, due to launch demand for the Bronco, our actual cost (after dealer discounts) for the Jeep is likely to be several thousand dollars below MSRP bringing is line with the Bronco, if not less. There have been plenty of feature and spec comparisons on this forum, so I won't repeat those in this post.

We will be doing head-to-head / side-by-side comparisons on individual aspects of each vehicle and the experience as a whole. This includes the buying experience. Unfortunately, part of that experience involves waiting for Bronco production to meet demand. Ordering the Wrangler to coincide the timing with the Bronco will be tricky as our Ford dealership is reluctant to predict our delivery date.

I hope you will join us in this experiment and follow along on our progress.
I believe remote start is included with the cold weather package

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the next few days we will be ordering our new Bronco Wildtrak AND a Wrangler Rubicon. We will be doing a series of comparisons starting with the ordering process culminating with off/on-road performance testing. We are trying to match the options as close as possible to do a fair comparison.

The current status of this endeavor is we have an appointment to order our Bronco 2/15/2021. Based on feedback from the dealer on delivery, we will time our Wrangler order to arrive similarly.

It's difficult to make the vehicles exactly the same. And arguably different models may compare better. This is our best shot based on our reservation and personal preferences. It took quite a few options to make the Wrangler competitive with the Bronco. We have a few days before we need to lock in our Bronco and probably months before ordering the Wrangler, so any suggestions to make them more comparable are welcome. We have left a few options off both so we can compare adding those after delivery (i.e. winches, lifts, 37-40"" tires, tire carrier, leather)

Sasquatch $2,495
LUX Package $5,085
MIC Roof
Towing $595
Rock Rails $595
$58,445
Rock rails come standard on BL so drop that $595. You can either leave it as $600 cheaper or upgrade the BL engine to the 2.7L and that would put you $600 over the Jeep. Throw on a set of pod lights or rock lights.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual disconnects on a $50-60K vehicle????

Good sir, I will not be stepping outside of my carriage and risk scuffing my Louboutins to manually do anything on the trail.
What's a Louboutin?

Sponsored

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Rock Rails $595 ???

So, this one always interested me. Why would Rock Rails be an option on a Badlands when Ford website indicates they come standard on it? - If they are standard, take that $600 and put it toward the $1,800 for the 2.7 upgrade.

That's the build I am leaning toward IF I pull the trigger on the Bronco. Still debating.

FloridaGal

Badlands
First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Landrover Discovery
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands comes standard with Rock Rails. Charge on B & P is an error.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not true the badlands has the steel rear bumber and modular front bumper as well as the full upgraded bash plates and the non squatch badlands also has more articulation in the suspension. which is also limited by the squtch package. it also has the crawl gear in the MT which gives it the 94-1 ratio. it also comes with rack crawl mode. both are capable vehicles you just have to spend more to make the wildtrack like the Badlands. badlands comes standard with all that. your wildtrack build could be 5-10 grand less with the badlands and again more comparable to the rubicon. all I'm saying is if you want to do an accurate comparison do it with a badlands and rubicon.
So, the steel rear bumper os true. I consider it ugly as hell and would rather go aftermarket. It is easy to change though, so not really a factor.

The Manual Transmission is not something I am interested in, and I do not consider it an upgrade in capability. A slightly lower 1st gear I guess could be helpful, but I suspect the automatic under GOAT mode control will fair as well or better in the majority of situations. You would also be giving up 100 torque from the V6. So you should actually consider this an advantage of the WT.

If you want a Badlands on 33s, yes it has .4" more articulation, but you lose a full inch of ground clearance. I'd consider this a downgrade for my use case. Also, note that the fenders are removable, if you want to get the .4" of articulation back it is super easy to remove bumpstops and just pop the fenders when you need it while also retaining your 1" of clearance and superior approach and departure angles that come with 35s.

I do agree that the Badlands is a more direct competitor to the Rubicon though. Unfortuantely, with the IFS it will never be a true competitor to the Rubicon, always handycapped by that front axle. If you really want the absolute best machine for rock crawling you can buy, you need to buy the Jeep. The Badlands is a compromise.

Last edited:

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, the steel rear bumper os true. I consider it ugly as hell and would rather go aftermarket. It is easy to change though, so not really a factor.

The Manual Transmission is not something I am interested in, and I do not consider it an upgrade in capability. A slightly lower 1st gear I guess could be helpful, but I suspect the automatic under GOAT mode control will fair as well or better in the majority of situations. So you might actually consider this an advantage of the WT.

If you want a Badlands on 33s, yes it has .4" more articulation, but you lose a full inch of ground clearance. I'd consider this a downgrade for my use case. Also, note that the fenders are removable, if you want to get the .4" of articulation back it is super easy to remove bumpstops and just pop the fenders when you need it while also retaining your 1" of clearance and superior approach and departure angles that come with 35s.

I do agree that the Badlands is a more direct competitor to the Rubicon though. Unfortuantely, with the IFS it will never be a true competitor to the Rubicon, always handycapped by that front axle. If you really want the absolute best machine for rock crawling you can buy, you need to buy the Jeep. The Badlands is a compromise.
I can agree with you on this. I've said it before the Bronco will outperform jeep in every category except for rock crawling. The solid front axle is a game changer in that regard. i will be doing some crawling in my badlands but not enough to deal with the death wobble of the solid front axle and I've also never liked jeep they don't look good in my opinion. I look forward to see this study though.

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sasquatch $2,495
LUX Package $5,085
MIC Roof
Towing $595
$58,445

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Red Paint $245
Front Camera $595
Black Hard Top $1,395
8.4 Nav with Alpine Premium Audio $1,895
Remote Start $495
Keyless Entry $545
Advanced Safety $795
Safety Group $895
Trailer-Tow $795
LED Lighting $1,295
Steel Bumper Group $1,645
Cold Weather Group $995
3.6L Engine $1,500
8-Speed Trans $1,500
Rock-Trac 4WD $695
$58,500

So the first comparison is value. the vehicles are coming in within a couple thousand dollars. The Bronco edging out the Rubicon. However, due to launch demand for the Bronco, our actual cost (after dealer discounts) for the Jeep is likely to be several thousand dollars below MSRP bringing is line with the Bronco, if not less. There have been plenty of feature and spec comparisons on this forum, so I won't repeat those in this post.

We will be doing head-to-head / side-by-side comparisons on individual aspects of each vehicle and the experience as a whole. This includes the buying experience. Unfortunately, part of that experience involves waiting for Bronco production to meet demand. Ordering the Wrangler to coincide the timing with the Bronco will be tricky as our Ford dealership is reluctant to predict our delivery date.

I hope you will join us in this experiment and follow along on our progress.
Well, instead of using the Badlands, maybe try the comparison with the Wildtrak! The Badlands compares in many ways, but it also has a hydraulic disengage feature (valued at about $2k) that you can't get on the Rubicon.

Also, most of the stuff on the Badlands is already STANDARD, like the MIC top and Sasquatch, and the price to build this vehicle, as a higher value Wildtrak, is less than to build it as a Badlands! After all, you did say that VALUE was your initial concern... so do it right!!!

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, instead of using the Badlands, maybe try the comparison with the Wildtrak! The Badlands compares in many ways, but it also has a hydraulic disengage feature (valued at about $2k) that you can't get on the Rubicon.

Also, most of the stuff on the Badlands is already STANDARD, like the MIC top and Sasquatch, and the price to build this vehicle, as a higher value Wildtrak, is less than to build it as a Badlands! After all, you did say that VALUE was your initial concern... so do it right!!!
wrong, rubicon has swaybar disc standard.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wrong, rubicon has swaybar disc standard.
It's not hydraulic. You still need to get underneath to disconnect this electric unit. It also doesn't automatically reconnect at 20 mph.

You will save over $2k, by pricing alongside the Wildtrak, to hit the VALUE comparison that you claimed was important to you. Rather than being honest about a comparative search, you ske everyone to validate YOUR decision for a comparison vehicle. You attempt to fool all these good people on Bronco6g, by skewing the value concept!!!

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not hydraulic. You still need to get underneath to disconnect this electric unit. It also doesn't automatically reconnect at 20 mph.

You will save over $2k, by pricing alongside the Wildtrak, to hit the VALUE comparison that you claimed was important to you. Rather than being honest about a comparative search, you ske everyone to validate YOUR decision for a comparison vehicle. You attempt to fool all these good people on Bronco6g, by skewing the value concept!!!
your insane. its electric(who cares) it disconnects with a button on the dash and it reconnects at 25mph or when you hit the same button on the dash again. it has worked perfectly for me for the 6 years I've had and used it.

what am i missing. are we talking about the same thing.

Ford Bronco Bronco Badlands vs Wrangler Rubicon: Head to Head Comparison Series - Beginning With Ordering 1612996122000
bad location on the left side of wheel. they fixed it with the JL
Sponsored

Last edited: