First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the honeycomb looks kinda cool. As long as I had a warranty on it and it didn't cause problems down the road I'd roll with it, if it were at least uniform.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There isn't an easy fix at this point. Watch this space.
Ross, as always you're the firstest with the mostest reliable info. But seems like this is an issue we should hear directly from Ford on.

If these are already in customer delivery cycle & 7/12 was a BIG build week...and since the defect takes a little time to manifest......folks are gonna want some direction on whether or not to accept Broncos from their dealership

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the honeycomb looks kinda cool. As long as I had a warranty on it and it didn't cause problems down the road I'd roll with it, if it were at least uniform.
Call it a gator edition and charge a premium.
Don't get me wrong, I would be all over a '21 right now, but the first year production issues we always hear about seem to be occurring.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Updated with more info from @PREMiERdrum:

The first of many we'll see of these. It's becoming apparent that many tops were delivered that had their outer laminate layer cast too thin. Commodity intake procedures weren't able to tell because they looked fine. This - along with other laminating issues - are what spurred the additional inspections that held so many units over the last 2 weeks.

FWIW my roof is still 100% fine, and I'm realizing just how lucky I havr been with this build.

A bit more info: Issues with thickness uniformity of the 3 layers is what's behind the lamination issues (and these unsightly "thin" spots). There isn't an easy fix at this point.

Watch this space.

Original post:

I haven't seen any mention or photos of this phenomenon yet. Just today I noticed a honeycomb or snakeskin like pattern starting to appear on most of the rear shell.

Anyone else also experience this? Is it UV related? Reaction with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Something internal? 🤔

You can't feel the texture, it's strictly visual.

Interested in hearing some theories...

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 2.jpg

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 1.jpg

Sponsored

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Never buy a first year new model, they said. But did I listen? Noooo!

OP
OP
DETT

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s almost like in 3-D printing and not enough layers are printed, or the layers are too thin.
Outer layer appears to be on the thin side as @PREMiERdrum eluded to above.

PS. Thank you, Ross, for the insight as always!

307Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mitsubishi Evo MR 2012 Mercedes AMG C63
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 2-door MIC Bronco was built 7/15 & is just sitting in MAP lot. I'm thinking Ford should set up some CCTV cameras & monitor whether bees try to nest on it
My 2 door MIC has been sitting at MAP since 06-29, guessing it might look like this now:
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern aaykqmjnd9sikhhgiljc

Sponsored

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Everyone relax. This is just ONE top.
I can see the same pattern showing through on mine, although not as bad. But it also has not been in the sun much.

On the other hand, I have another small section that is obviously delaminated from the top core. Meaning the outer layer is separated from the honeycomb. When I tap it it has an obvious hollow sound, unlike the rest of the top. Similar to tapping on floor tiles, the ones that do not have best thinset bond have a different sound.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without knowing many design or manufacturing details, my gut instinct as an engineer is that this MIC top is looking like an overly complicated design by Ford that is difficult to manufacture. There shouldn’t be such an opportunity for errors that cause this many defects. Webasto the scapegoat?

OP
OP
DETT

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can see the same pattern showing through on mine, although not as bad. But it also has not been in the sun much.

On the other hand, I have another small section that is obviously delaminated from the top core. Meaning the outer layer is separated from the honeycomb. When I tap it it has an obvious hollow sound, unlike the rest of the top. Similar to tapping on floor tiles, the ones that do not have best thinset bond have a different sound.
That sucks 😞