Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're in the VERY small minority on that. Most of the reason people are buying the bronco is the removable top and doors. They'll just tell you to get a 4runner or Explorer. Be prepared.
Haha. I figured so much.

I'm buying it because it's probably the last body on frame "truck" based 4x4 SUV we are going to see from Ford.

Speaking of Explorer. Yes. I am trying to relive my 1992 Ford Explorer I bought new!

But this hard top rubbish is hard to see. Although, mine is just going to get beat to hell driving it through the woods.
Sponsored

Wineguy

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr Base, VW Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I stopped by my local dealer to check out the Black Diamond Sas. 2 door after reading about the complaints here about open edges and loose fibers on the top. Seems the mannequin was no different. The edge over the rear hatch was uneven, and all the exposed edges were raw. I didn't see any telegraphing of the fiber underneath, though. I'm glad this was pointed out, as i would not have thought to look. Kinda nervous about getting a '21 now. I still don't have a build date, so i may end up with a '22 anyway.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for sharing Ross. Do you sense that Ford is on top of this now (np pun intended) or is this a new tsunami ready to hit MICs again?
I really can't say one way or another. They're obviously aware of the issue, but they're still cranking out Broncos with MIC tops. I don't have any specific information on a possible remedy beyond dealers being asked to document issues.

Have to assume we'll see a Customer Satisfaction Campaign soon with a promise of a new top once available and probably some more FordPass Rewards points... but that's just a hunch.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
you aren’t answering the question: What evidence is there that structure has been compromised?? Textured Plastic is porous. Pores collect wax. Wax build up is visible. All those things are known. What you are ASSUMING is that what you are seeing is “damage”.
I’m not the one saying waxing the top compromised anything. That’s what you eluded to. I’m not assuming anything. Other than the fact that blaming wax for this is asinine.

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Line x is the way to go. I had an entire truck done and still looks amazing after 8 yrs
I mean, I understand the criticism as it seems a trope of a certain group of meatheads of which I am probably one. But Line-X will give you color options and durability that you'll never get from the factory as currently configured.

I think using the coating on the top and the other pieces like bumpers and grill will make my colors more uniform.

Sponsored

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
[
Oof. Of all things, this is far and away Ford's worst nightmare. Quality issues on a part that is already severely production-constrained and is ordered on 60+% of vehicles. I'm sure there are some Ford guys getting ulcers right now. I wouldn't not want to be the guy who green-lit Webasto as the supplier. That's a career-killer. No matter what the boss or boss' boss says about "we know it's not your fault," you'll never be trusted again.

Seeing this makes me think for the first time that my Day 1 reservation could very likely become a '22 delivery. Lux, tow, 2-door, 2.7 was already an obstacle, but these hard tops may become unicorns.
I'd venture to say it's the vendor manager position that is in a heap of trouble. He/She is the one that allowed this shit show to get where it was before Ford stepped in.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@PREMiERdrum Any idea on how fast they are clearing the back log for those of us thelat have been sitting at production for 3+ weeks with no info at all?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I the only one that wishes a complete non removable steel hard top was an option? I don't even want the top to come off.
Maybe a year ago you might have been, but I'll bet you've got company now. 😄

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not the one saying waxing the top compromised anything. That’s what you eluded to. I’m not assuming anything. Other than the fact that blaming wax for this is asinine.
Yes. 1,000% it's not wax. Every single exterior part on a vehicle needs to be able to stand up to car wax. Automatic car washers apply wax indiscriminately on cars and there's no way a manufacturer of a vehicle sold by the hundreds of thousands could get away with telling you not to run your car through an automatic wash*. These aren't Ferraris.

* Let's set aside the discussion of the issues of an automatic wash potentially being harsh to paint jobs.

Sponsored

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe a year ago you might have been, but I'll bet you've got company now. 😄
seriously, it's like if you want an off road capable SUV you have to go with a removable top variant. The 4Runner being the only exception or otherwise you have to get a truck.

dumb

i wish Toyota would reveal the next gen 4Runner already. I have no desire to take doors/roof off.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The tops appear to be multilayer composites that are compression molded for final assembly and appearance. They are not rotomolded (makes hollow parts), and they are not injection molded (makes solid parts and not to mention the size of the injection machine required is such that there are only a handful in existence in the world)
Yes, my i believe you are correct, but, still, what? I found that Jeep tops are made in a process called SMC, but that still leaves questions because if SMC is the process used on Bronco tops, then it doesn't make sense that the color is molded in rather than painted on. I'm familiar with boat building, and I'd like to know how these things are made, because if we know how they're made we know how to take care of them.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I switched to the soft to a week ago. At this point I'm glad I gave up my FE reservation and won't be forced to get a MIC top on my more door Badlands.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, my i believe you are correct, but, still, what? I found that Jeep tops are made in a process called SMC, but that still leaves questions because if SMC is the process used on Bronco tops, then it doesn't make sense that the color is molded in rather than painted on. I'm familiar with boat building, and I'd like to know how these things are made, because if we know how they're made we know how to take care of them.
AFAIK SMC is the process that will be used to make the MOD tops, Not the MIC tops
Sponsored