Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So those of us that have been sitting for a month+ won't get out till there have fixed this issue and are outputting "fixed" ones? That is the question on my mind. I am a patient person, but @Ford Motor Company is really trying it right now with the lack of communication on this issue. Who's old enough to remember the new coke?
Sponsored

Powers2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco 302, 2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
New today- the snakeskin texture is now very visible on the middle panel. This has changed since yesterday. It's been in the cool garage since last night so it doesn't appear to be heat or sun related. FWIW, the snakeskin on my clamshell first appeared in the sun after sitting outside.

I've had conversations with Ford in the last few days exchanging pictures and details and they are definitely working on this.
20210723_123057.jpg
20210723_123127.jpg
Wow! when you say they are "working on this" does that mean they are going to replace your top? Thanks for all the great info, btw!

Entropy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow! when you say they are "working on this" does that mean they are going to replace your top? Thanks for all the great info, btw!
You should be able to make a warranty claim once the new tops come out at the least. It'll probably end up being like the steering issue in Wranglers, where they released a TSB that only forum members know about. You could go and get a new steering box in your Wrangler, but it is optional. The Bronco rollout has been a mess, this kind of thing is expected though. I hope the machine is mechanically sound. I don't think this top issue will be that big of a deal, hopefully not.

BroncoChris

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

New today- the snakeskin texture is now very visible on the middle panel. This has changed since yesterday. It's been in the cool garage since last night so it doesn't appear to be heat or sun related. FWIW, the snakeskin on my clamshell first appeared in the sun after sitting outside.

I've had conversations with Ford in the last few days exchanging pictures and details and they are definitely working on this.
20210723_123057.jpg
20210723_123127.jpg
UGH! I have never purchased a 1st model year due to things getting pushed out too fast. With all the time that went into this vehicle, you would think all suppliers were vetted. One thing if issues came up 1 year later but only a few days or weeks? Makes me nervous

Sponsored

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So we have seen the tires from the off roadeo Broncos but what about MIC tops? Those are going to be about as early as it gets, right? They’ve been jacked around on the courses and probably baking out in the summer sun, can anyone report back? It would awesome to see if they have snake skin or if they are starting to delaminate or deteriorate.
I'm going to the Texas Rodeo tomorrow, they probably have the oldest rodeo vehicles in the fleet, I will look at all the roofs I can, including the soft tops on the 2-doors that we can get!

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I escalated my photos through @Ford Motor Company here on the forum, and they created a case. Someone then contacted me about the case from Ford directly, who told me there are no current programs for the MIC top and to bring it in to dealership service department if there’s something wrong with my vehicle.

Didn’t sound like there was any special “early field failure analysis” or similar process being followed despite this being a new model. The Ford person was just like “oh if you ever notice a problem on any vehicle you purchase, you should tell your dealership.” Nothing that was said was specific to Bronco in any way, nor did the person have any particular interest or emphasis on which part I was experiencing issues with, or seem to be aware of the MIC issues at all.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I escalated my photos through @Ford Motor Company here on the forum, and they created a case. Someone then contacted me about the case from Ford directly, and told me there are no current programs for the MIC top and to bring it in to dealership service department if there’s something wrong with my vehicle.

Didn’t sound like there was any special “early field failure analysis” or similar process being followed despite this being a new model. The Ford person was just like “oh if you ever notice a problem on any vehicle you purchase, you should tell your dealership.” Nothing that was said was specific to Bronco in any way, nor did the person have any particular interest or emphasis on which part I was experiencing issues with or seem to be familiar with the MIC issues at all.
I'd give it a couple weeks, there definitely are signs that a program is being formed.

The issues are serious enough and obviously widespread enough that a simple dealer warranty ticket system isn't going to work.

If I had to guess, I think it's almost certain that we're looking at a two-pronged problem: Shoddy manufacturing and a design that is too complex to build reliably. When this is the only hard top option, you're stuck either replacing very bad tops with only kind of bad tops or waiting to get something else moving.

From what I know, the conversations happening are quite interesting.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'd give it a couple weeks, there definitely are signs that a program is being formed.

The issues are serious enough and obviously widespread enough that a simple dealer warranty ticket system isn't going to work.

If I had to guess, I think it's almost certain that we're looking at a two-pronged problem: Shoddy manufacturing and a design that is too complex to build reliably. When this is the only hard top option, you're stuck either replacing very bad tops with only kind of bad tops or waiting to get something else moving.

I agree in that I didn’t expect nor particularly want to attempt resolution by simply ordering a new MIC top when nothing has been changed to fix the QC/construction issues.

What I wonder is if the case that has already been created is sufficient documentation for future resolution (when a better one exists), or if I need to take more cover-your-ass steps to get everything documented in as many Ford internal systems as possible. Obviously I’d love to not have to leave my shiny new toy somewhere in service if not necessary yet.

Sponsored

BroncoChris

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I escalated my photos through @Ford Motor Company here on the forum, and they created a case. Someone then contacted me about the case from Ford directly, who told me there are no current programs for the MIC top and to bring it in to dealership service department if there’s something wrong with my vehicle.

Didn’t sound like there was any special “early field failure analysis” or similar process being followed despite this being a new model. The Ford person was just like “oh if you ever notice a problem on any vehicle you purchase, you should tell your dealership.” Nothing that was said was specific to Bronco in any way, nor did the person have any particular interest or emphasis on which part I was experiencing issues with, or seem to be aware of the MIC issues at all.
Soooo dissapointing!!! That kinda sounds like when I called the Ford team to find out why my Bronco has been in production since 7/1 without a build complete or ship date. The woman on the phone asked if I checked with the dealer. I said, they are telling me they don't know why it is heldup but should be 2 weeks (I have heard 2 weeks before). That is why I am calling Ford!

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it's almost certain that we're looking at a two-pronged problem: Shoddy manufacturing and a design that is too complex to build reliably. When this is the only hard top option, you're stuck either replacing very bad tops with only kind of bad tops or waiting to get something else moving.

Thanks for the insight. I can only imagine those discussions. They probably only have bad alternatives to choose from. I just hope whatever they figure out doesn't involve cancellation of the 2021/2022 2dr. But it is pretty obvious that there will need to be an even bigger push to convert orders to soft top.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Ross,
Are you getting any indication Ford is getting ready to issue an official communication? Silence may not be a viable long term solution.

Jkrupp

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge,f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here are some of the issues with my MIC top at delivery on 7/21

Scratching and scuffing all over, thought it was dirt at delivery but won’t come off
4F35A361-1A05-4237-ACD5-F605CA371C51.jpeg

11080782-ECFC-4EB9-96FE-35887F368792.jpeg

Random dimples
64530EAC-7449-404B-9023-EB35DEFB0BDD.jpeg

Weirdness near some of the edges (material folded? Not pushed far enough?)
8A3E0B66-EA65-451E-AD48-8BE4EA2AA424.jpeg

snakeskin, of course
B5E4D803-B422-437F-9197-CB72048A67A3.jpeg

FEB7E9F0-E073-4331-933C-F6F676906EB0.jpeg

Bubbles in whatever sticker they use to hide the raw MIC inside
AFBDFBDB-DCBA-4198-8615-D14325E27B59.jpeg

F75637E6-8E2E-451C-AADA-2D96388FCF95.jpeg
Wow I feel super lucky I have found nothing like that on my hard top .Im sure ford has to replace

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cut Ford some slack here. Viable removable tops have only been around since the 1960s, so they're still working the kinks out. Maybe your grandkids will enjoy the fruits of their labors.
Sponsored