First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco looks big and heavy - even as a 2 door - is anyone actually interested in the 4 cylinder in the 4 door?

I just don't see a turbo 4 cylinder holding up for 100k plus miles. I actually love 4 cylinders as I'm not concerned about horsepower and speed, and more interested in economy and so when I saw you could only get a 7 speed with the 4 cylinder I didn't think I'd want the V6 anyway.

Even though I'm only interested in the 2 door, now I'm second guessing if the 2.3 turbo is enough. With the ergonomics and all the off-road running gear I'd bet that the fuel economy between the 4 and 6 cylinders won't be a tipping point one way or another.

I'm really hoping between now and December Ford decides to offer the V6 with a manual transmission - I can't imagine its and engineering issue. Only thing I can think is with a manual trans there would be no point in the GOAT modes so it's more of a marketing issue.

I'd like a Base 2door, V6, 7 speed, 'squatch, with the LED headlamps.

If I have to get an automatic to get the V6 then I do want the GOAT modes and then I'm looking at a Wildtrack? Or a badlands (which I don't think comes with the V6)?
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Bronco looks big and heavy - even as a 2 door - is anyone actually interested in the 4 cylinder in the 4 door?

I just don't see a turbo 4 cylinder holding up for 100k plus miles. I actually love 4 cylinders as I'm not concerned about horsepower and speed, and more interested in economy and so when I saw you could only get a 7 speed with the 4 cylinder I didn't think I'd want the V6 anyway.

Even though I'm only interested in the 2 door, now I'm second guessing if the 2.3 turbo is enough. With the ergonomics and all the off-road running gear I'd bet that the fuel economy between the 4 and 6 cylinders won't be a tipping point one way or another.

I'm really hoping between now and December Ford decides to offer the V6 with a manual transmission - I can't imagine its and engineering issue. Only thing I can think is with a manual trans there would be no point in the GOAT modes so it's more of a marketing issue.

If I have to get an automatic to get the V6 then I do want the GOAT modes and then I'm looking at a Wildtrack? Or a badlands (which I don't think comes with the V6)?
Any trim can get v6 option. Including BASE.

All of the trims get goat mode. Just the higher ones include rock crawling and or Baja.

and the 4 cylinder is more powerful than the big v8 broncos of the past. (That weighed about the same as new 4door)

longevity isnt an issue. Modern 4 cylinder engines are very durable as long as you take care of them. (Run injector cleaner and on time oil changes once every 4 months 5,000 miles or sooner)

Sponsored

ChrisMeyers

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think the 2.7 V6 is underpowered. So that's the extent of my doubting even more the 4 cylinder. It just isn't sitting well with me after a week of being excited and thinking about it. 5000+ pounds (with Sasquatch) on that small displacement leads me to think it will not he durable. Probably why they restricted the manual on the Sasquatch. I'm waiting for further developments at this point. A Coyote V8 or a larger V6.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the 2.7 V6 is underpowered. So that's the extent of my doubting even more the 4 cylinder. It just isn't sitting well with me after a week of being excited and thinking about it. 5000+ pounds (with Sasquatch) on that small displacement leads me to think it will not he durable. Probably why they restricted the manual on the Sasquatch. I'm waiting for further developments at this point. A Coyote V8 or a larger V6.
The 2.7 has class leading power if anything you could almost say it's over powered.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
coyote has the exact same torque as the 2.7. But the 2.7 has more on the low end of rpm.

wet weight with driver will be right at 5,000 for a loaded Sasquatch. with even the 4 banger will be able to handle that.

remember turbo engines don’t need to rev as hard to work as hard.

big v8 motors need to almost redline to move

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any trim can get v6 option. Including BASE.

All of the trims get goat mode. Just the higher ones include rock crawling and or Baja.

and the 4 cylinder is more powerful than the big v8 broncos of the past. (That weighed about the same as new 4door)

longevity isnt an issue. Modern 4 cylinder engines are very durable as long as you take care of them. (Run injector cleaner and on time oil changes once every 4 months 5,000 miles or sooner)
Base model gets 4 goat modes.... different packages add up to 7...

I've read conflicting information about engine options with the Badlands...

The issue is the V6 only being paired with the automatic...

Yes I realize that 275 horse power is more than factory V8s of the yesterday, but that is a lot of stress put on a little block... I'd doubt after 100k they are still putting out 275. We are not talking about a 2 wheel drive Focus R here, we are talking a 5,000lbs 4 wheel drive on 35 off-road tires - that just seems like a lot. - but maybe I'm wrong for doubting.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Yes I realize that 275 horse power is more than factory V8s of the yesterday, but that is a lot of stress put on a little block... I'd doubt after 100k they are still putting out 275. We are not talking about a 2 wheel drive Focus R here, we are talking a 5,000lbs 4 wheel drive on 35 off-road tires - that just seems like a lot. - but maybe I'm wrong for doubting.
I think ford is doing AUTO only for the v6 is because all these people blowing up their transmissions in the mustang for driving hard.
Complaining clutches and linkages are wearing out. And you know people are going to be going HARD in the Sasquatch and v6. Especially after they tune them up.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going for the 4 cylinder, 4 door as well. Dont worry it has enough power. You can get a tune for it so that you can get 310 hp and 370 ft lbs of torque.
Power is not my concern. I'd take a 150 horse power diesel in a heartbeat.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go test drive a ranger if you have concerns a little different weight and gearing but you'll get the idea. The 2.3 is Virtually bulletproof.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the 2.3T in my Ranger. I’ve never considered it underpowered.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Power is not my concern. I'd take a 150 horse power diesel in a heartbeat.
diesel is just to slow and expensive for real world.

but yes. The bronco only needs 250 hp. Give or take. Because it’s going to be limited to 120mph because most AT MT tires are only rated to 120mph

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nowadays Porsche is putting 4cyl turbos in their cars, which are supposed to be some of the most track ready and driven hard. Not equating ford engine to a porsche’s, but I’m not going to judge an engine just by the name.
Sponsored