4 cylinder 4 door? Really?

teejayhoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Y’all still on this? The 4 is more powerful than the bigger, heavier, V8 Bronco of yesterday.
Yeah, but it ain't the 90s no more. 500+HP is what you expect from a V8 these days, not 200.

edit: Doh. I misunderstood the point.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry, I get it, and you're right - I honestly didn't even read the full post......it's just frustrating here because since the launch/reveal, this place has become a lot more negative with endless posts complaining about this or that, 3-4 threads simultaneously complaining about the same things, people saying they're going to cancel their order because they can't order the antenna in bright fuchsia, etc.

I apologize for jumping the gun.
My thought is if there is a lot of confidence in the 4 cylinder on the 4 door, I might not worry about it on the 2 door.

Right now Ford is giving us more questions than answers, which looks partly due to them not actually finalizing a few things. Which is fine. My biggest question right now is the point of having any GOAT modes with a manual transmission, let alone 7 modes on the Badlands.

As for the bitching, I'm a fan, and who knows maybe Ford will take note.

Sponsored

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now this was from my old automatic EcoStang 'vert before I had a downpipe and a more specific tune, but this was basically fbo:

CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit
MMR CAI
UPR Dual Valve Oil Catch Can
FFTec Charge Pipes
Synapse DV
Steeda Throttle Body Spacer
Boomba Intake Manifold spacer
NGK 6510
FFTec Street Intercooler
Tuned by Nishan

Had to revise things a bit, Here's the original thread. But yeah, has potential
So basically, 310 WHP / 375 WTQ from an intake, intercooler and a tune. I'm perfectly fine with that output from the 4 cylinder. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So basically, 310 WHP / 375 WTQ from an intake, intercooler and a tune. I'm perfectly fine with that output from the 4 cylinder. Thanks for sharing.
How does that look pushing 5,000lbs through an overbuilt 4x4 system on 35inch off-road tires? I'm not a tuner, I'd like something I can just weld the hood shut on.....

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does that look pushing 5,000lbs through an overbuilt 4x4 system on 35inch off-road tires? I'm not a tuner, I'd like something I can just weld the hood shut on.....
Again, go to the Jeep forum's and while they're auto only, you'll see 2.0t JLU builds on there, plus the countless 3.6 builds with an engine that doesn't make as much power with mods in comparison

Welcome, and again, got the DP, Wastegate Actuator and a better, more specific tune later on, although on their Dyno, it was 275whp but also they primarily dyno trucks instead of cars, hence the lower #'s

Sure it'd be much more with a completed turboback, but still

Definitely can't wait to do this all over again :D

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not building a race car, this is a truck. I had a Colorado ZR2 Diesel that did 0-60 in 9 seconds, so I'm not seeing a problem with a tuned 2.3L in a 2 door Badlands with 33" A/T tires. If you're going for a 4 door Wildtrak or Sasquatch, sure 2.7L would be a lot better at handling the extra 300-500 pound.

The Ecoboost Ranger can do mid 6 seconds 0-60 in its heaviest form (Lariat crew cab), so I doubt the 2.3L Bronco is going to pose a problem for anyone to be able to merge on a highway safely.

teejayhoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Ecoboost Ranger can do high 5 seconds 0-60 in its heaviest form (Lariat crew cab), so I doubt the 2.3L Bronco is going to pose a problem for anyone to be able to merge on a highway safely.
It can? That's EXCELLENT news for me.

Where'd you find this at?

Sponsored

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

teejayhoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My bad, looks like it's more of a mid-6 seconds stock.
Damnit. If it were in the 5s stock, I figured it could get into the 4.9 range with E85, turbo, pump, and such... I don't need much in the way of speed, but I DO want to be able to get away from a stoplight without a minivan crawling up my rear.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Again, go to the Jeep forum's and while they're auto only, you'll see 2.0t JLU builds on there, plus the countless 3.6 builds with an engine that doesn't make as much power with mods in comparison

Welcome, and again, got the DP, Wastegate Actuator and a better, more specific tune later on, although on their Dyno, it was 275whp but also they primarily dyno trucks instead of cars, hence the lower #'s

Sure it'd be much more with a completed turboback, but still

Definitely can't wait to do this all over again :D
One, I've never even considered a modern jeep mostly due to the engine options. If I'm going to get 16 miles to the gallon in a compact vehicle it better haul ass. Two, these broncos just look so much bigger than Jeeps.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damnit. If it were in the 5s stock, I figured it could get into the 4.9 range with E85, turbo, pump, and such... I don't need much in the way of speed, but I DO want to be able to get away from a stoplight without a minivan crawling up my rear.
The Ecoboost Ranger has already proven to be capable of 5.x seconds 0-60 with just a tune, and this testing was done in a higher elevation where lower air density would decrease engine performance. I'm sure you can get what you want out of the 2.3L without even touching the turbo or using E85.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/tu...-drag-strip-test-you-will-be-surprised-video/

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dick, I think I understand. Me, I'm old school, and can't imaging a 4 banger with a small turbo would be the right engine for a 4wd Bronco. But, then I have to remember these are not the 4 bangers of old. And at my slightly more mature age that's even difficult. I have a friend with a new Ranger, and he says the little 2.3 will move the truck down the road really well. I know it's just in my head, and I've got to shake my old way of thinking. But, I still bet I'll get the 2.7 when the time comes for me to order. BTW, did I mention I'm old, and set in my ways? ;):)

Welcome to the forum. (y)
Sponsored

Last edited: