Sponsored

Is the 2.3 going to be the reliable offroad engine vs the 2.7?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think you have to drive the snot out of the 2.3 to approach any performance parallels of the 2.7.
This would take life out of any engine. How about that inferior induction on the 2.3?- Problems coming.

Read what Motor Trend and Car and Driver say. They know more about these vehicles (and most every other) than anyone on this site. If you don't believe them why would you believe anyone?
Road & Track actually had a very detailed article about it that was linked nicely on these digital pages. Although it was before you joined the forum, so you probably didn't get to see it unless you searched.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-3-ecoboost-changes-made-for-ranger-duty.12599/

Also, having just driven a 2.3/MT equipped Bronco for about 45 minutes (dealership demo unit), i'm not sure what/why you would cross the engines to try and make them "parallel"? What is the goal there?

An oil catch can has proven to be a good investment for the 2.3 used in Ranger duty. Many folks are reporting intake manifolds which are in fine shape with 60-70K miles on them. Having to walnut blast the intake manifold every 100,000 miles is so astronomically cheaper (~$230 at current shop rates where I live), than the $3,200 to replace both turbos on the "superior induction" 2.7 ltr engines.

But you gotta pick your battles! I'll still be just fine not driving the snot out of the 2.3 and enjoying the heck out of it, even if I don't happen to get lost on a drag strip to showcase the size of my manhood against the Corvettes.... (I mean, that's the target, right? Straight line speed of an off-road vehicle..... :unsure:
Sponsored

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the sheriffs that pull special duty were I work was telling me they all hated the 2.3 in their cruisers cause the turbos were always failing. But, he had the same motor in his personal 2020 Ranger an loved it. Soo I'm sure we'll see some issues like any other drive train, but I expect we'll have plenty of happy buyers out there.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Having to walnut blast the intake manifold every 100,000 miles is so astronomically cheaper (~$230 at current shop rates where I live), than the $3,200 to replace both turbos on the "superior induction" 2.7 ltr engines.
I like these random comparisons. Like “hey, it’s easier to replace the oil on the 2.3L than replace the whole motor on the 2.7L 🤷‍♀️

EL in NH

Base
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Basesquatch, 2005 HD springer,2010 sporty
Your Bronco Model
Base
One of the sheriffs that pull special duty were I work was telling me they all hated the 2.3 in their cruisers cause the turbos were always failing. But, he had the same motor in his personal 2020 Ranger an loved it. Soo I'm sure we'll see some issues like any other drive train, but I expect we'll have plenty of happy buyers out there.
The same cruisers that they idle for 8 hours while on traffic control duty?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I like these random comparisons. Like “hey, it’s easier to replace the oil on the 2.3L than replace the whole motor on the 2.7L 🤷‍♀️
🤷‍♂️ Removing the intake manifold on the 2.3 is an equivalent job labor wise to pulling the turbos out of the 2.7. One of the jobs will simply result in thousands of dollars in additional parts replacements. 🥃

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
🤷‍♂️ Removing the intake manifold on the 2.3 is an equivalent job labor wise to pulling the turbos out of the 2.7. One of the jobs will simply result in thousands of dollars in additional parts replacements. 🥃
The failure rate of both turbos has arguably no connection to the rate at which blasting the intake manifold is necessary

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The manual says to change the automatic transmission fluid at 150k miles 🤷‍♀️
Will see how that works out in the long run. Even if Ford doesn't, on some vehicles the manufacturer recommends an earlier fluid change interval, for vehicles that see heavy use. And harsh off-roading could fit that bill.

Anyone know if the Bronco auto trans comes with a separate trans cooler? (Not the one inside the radiator.) Or how easy it would be to install one? After my Jeep auto trans overheated on a torturous long uphill off-road climb, I had to install an aux trans cooler. But that was relatively easy to install on an older vehicle.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same thing for the people that have the small engine complex. I need a V16 TurboSuperHemi on 44s or it's trash.

Your comment implies that people that make smart investments are inferior and a modern vehicle is an investment (it is not). Also implied that everyone will need and use the most powerful engine.

Some people actually just want feedback to align to their use cases to make an informed decision. 2k isn't a lot to upgrade in reality but may not be necessary for most, and some people enjoy driving manual. Some may want to take that 2k and buy accessories or hookers.

Reality is both will be fine, have a good track record, and resell will be great for both. The real argument is really how will early quality control be and how is the MIC vs MOD.
Ford Bronco Is the 2.3 going to be the reliable offroad engine vs the 2.7? 1627609837029

my pervious experience with the 2.3L ford turbo was in a 1980 mustang gt turbo... is seriously doubt there will be many similarities. i hear the new one has fuel injection versus a motorcraft 2v carburetor. but i think i will be able to figure this one out...
Oh crap they ditched the Motorcraft? I'm out!!!

That early 80s 2 barrel was a great carb. I had a 84 extended E150 302/AOD. That 2 barrel moved enough fuel to hit 130 in that thing downhill once. The speedometer literally wound itself around to 15mph.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread really has me thinking. I drove a 2.7 F150 and 2.3 Ranger before making up my mind on the 2.7. Now I want to try driving a 2.3 Bronco to make up my mind. The 2.7 didn't blow me away in the Wildtrak I drove. I mainly hated the engine note of the 2.3L in the ranger. Sounded like a buzzy 4 cyl which was an odd fit for a truck. Would definitely like to try the 7MT. Either I get to rethink my whole build for MY22 or I get a VIN randomly minutes before being struck by a bus.

If you’re talking about the police explorers they have N/A V6’s with a hybrid system. Can’t think of any police or special service vehicles that use the 2.3.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This thread really has me thinking. I drove a 2.7 F150 and 2.3 Ranger before making up my mind on the 2.7. Now I want to try driving a 2.3 Bronco to make up my mind. The 2.7 didn't blow me away in the Wildtrak I drove. I mainly hated the engine note of the 2.3L in the ranger. Sounded like a buzzy 4 cyl which was an odd fit for a truck. Would definitely like to try the 7MT. Either I get to rethink my whole build for MY22 or I get a VIN randomly minutes before being struck by a bus.

If you’re talking about the police explorers they have N/A V6’s with a hybrid system. Can’t think of any police or special service vehicles that use the 2.3.
They also have a 400 HP TT 3.3l V6 available iirc.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Below is a video of a guy test driving a 2-door with the 2.3L manual trans. Put yourself in the driver's place, and would you have more fun rowing through the gears with the 2.3L (to me it looks fun). Or does your urban driving mean too much stop and go, and maybe auto with possibly 2.7 option is the ticket.

And then off-road, I've owned manual and auto Jeeps. Auto for rocky type trails was generally easier, because you have essentially infinite slow speed control, even stopping in gear, and then easing over rocks and ledges. The low crawler gear in the Bronco manual will help, but still you will have to be a bit more skilled off-road at picking your lines ahead of time with a manual.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Below is a video of a guy test driving a 2-door with the 2.3L manual trans. Put yourself in the driver's place, and would you have more fun rowing through the gears with the 2.3L (to me it looks fun). Or does your urban driving mean too much stop and go, and maybe auto with possibly 2.7 option is the ticket.

And then off-road, I've owned manual and auto Jeeps. Auto for rocky type trails was generally easier, because you have essentially infinite slow speed control, even stopping in gear, and then easing over rocks and ledges. The low crawler gear in the Bronco manual will help, but still you will have to be a bit more skilled off-road at picking your lines ahead of time with a manual.
I'd love to have the manual, but one of the main things holding me back besides the lack of remote start (I park outside) is being a novice offroader. The one pedal and trail control would be very handy to me while rock crawing in the woods in my area. I live in the country so not much city driving. I'd have to drive one, don't want to make the decision based on a video.

Dangerranger

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 is a fine engine just don’t expect the moon out of it. This is why it has a meh reputation with the Mustang crowd. A lot of guys thought it would give the coyote a run for it’s money with some mods. But unfortunately that wasn’t the case and a lot of 2.3s paid the price for it. So keep it stock or use a nice well rounded tune. It’ll last for a long long time , the biggest issue with the 2.3 is the rods and open deck block

the 2.7 is the most reliable Ecoboost engine right along with the 3.0 “which is just a high performance 2.7” most of the engine failures I’ve seen first hand have been flukes. Also the gEN 2 engine is an absolute unit when modded. The only real issue with the gEN 1 engine is if it’s in a transverse arrangement “edge sport, st, fusion sport etc” i can’t recommend it. They have all sorts of oil leaks and heat related issues from being shoehorned into these smaller vehicles

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love to have the manual, but one of the main things holding me back besides the lack of remote start (I park outside). . .
There are companies that make safe remote start modules for manuals, and I will hopefully installing one on my bronco eventually.

These aftermarket modules are programmed to watch for a sequence of events that tells the computer that the operator is out of the vehicle and it is neutral, for example: hitting a certain button or pedal while engine is still running, then after exiting & locking doors, the engine shuts down via command from the module. Now the module knows that the tran was in neutral, and will allow you to remote start unless the doors are unlocked before attempting to do so.
Sponsored