DadLife

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is it's called customer awareness/education. It's the customers fault for not getting everything in writing before hand. If it's their first purchase I can see where they might not know this but it looks like they've leased before. You never wait until the end to seal the deal (on anything) and always make sure everything is in writing.

This more so now than ever because with the chip shortages dealers are trying to make up for lost sales any way they can. Sure the dealer is a slime ball for doing this but in the end it's your fault for not be prepared.
The problem with this attitude is u have genuine ppl who expect others to stay true to their word. As I stated in a message above, my sales man is a guy I dealt with at one Ford and moved my reservation when he switched dealerships. So I have a printout of my build and a final price. It isn’t signed by either party, but I don’t expect, with our relationship, I would get hit with this. But bottom line is if ppl weren’t slimy and deceitful this wouldn’t be an issue anyways. It’s pure greed thru and thru and it’s the dealers fault for choosing to be that way. Stay true to ur word and be an honest person, why is that so difficult to ask of somebody. If I’m a dealership, I can guarantee u I wouldn’t do that to ppl I don’t care what the results are cuz at the end of the day, I know I’m a good person in my heart and I don’t take advantage of ppl
Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What exactly is a purchase agreement without putting something down? For example, I went in to my dealership and built it out and had them print the build out and give it to me with my final price. It isn’t signed by them or me, but the guy I’m dealing with I also followed to this new dealership and he has assured me more than once I won’t be susceptible to markups because of our relationship.
You don’t finalize a contract on a smile, a handshake, or a friendship. None of those things stand up in court. Most folks are honorable and will stand by their word; but it they don’t, you have zero recourse. With costs for transport having escalated between order and purchase, and with stock numbers and sales numbers down, and with anticipated warranty work and recalls growing more evident to the dealer (work for which Ford pays their dealers a mere cost-covering pittance), the “justification” for raising your “agreed” price just grows. At the end of the day, the Dealer needs to remain profitable and keep their staff employed and pay their rent.

God help you if you don’t have a signed offer to purchase with down payment.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This feels like blaming the victim because that’s what you did.
It was his fault for NOT having it in writing. Look I'm not trying to be a d'bag but if you think everyone is honest and will keep their word you're in for a rude awakening. It use to be that way but sadly not so much anymore. There are some good dealers and people out there but you'd better protect yourself and have a signed document or you have zero recourse as this guy just found out. I've learned this the hard way too through 35+ years being in business. Extras and changes don't mean squat if you don't have them in writing

You don’t finalize a contract on a smile, a handshake, or a friendship. None of those things stand up in court. Most folks are honorable and will stand by their word; but it they don’t, you have zero recourse. With costs for transport having escalated between order and purchase, and with stock numbers and sales numbers down, and with anticipated warranty work and recalls growing more evident to the dealer (work for which Ford pays their dealers a mere cost-covering pittance), the “justification” for raising your “agreed” price just grows. At the end of the day, the Dealer needs to remain profitable and keep their staff employed and pay their rent.

God help you if you don’t have a signed offer to purchase with down payment.
100% this!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Put the dealership on blast, let everyone dogpile on them, let Ford call them and tell them how stupid they are, and then the person will get a reasonable deal. One less dealership with Ford's favor, and we can keep moving away from the dealership model all together. Not every dealership is bad, some are fantastic, but some are flat out thieves and sometimes it's hard to tell which is which.
Well I would of but this happened in the middle of July according to the person who posted it on Facebook.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Moving the goal posts with made up ADM prices is sad, regardless. My pool supply had issues getting Acid a few weeks ago and the ACE hardware next door doubled their price. Thats the reward you get for supporting the local business - well, off to Home Depot from now on.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is a simple solution to prevent any of this from happening. Make sure you have in writing the total cost before ordering. And then if you need financing, get it elsewhere, that is my plan is to get the financing from my credit union instead.

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
great movie

fargo.gif

ATLColonial

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is this something dealers do with other special order cars? Like if I went in and ordered a custom mustang, could I expect to have to renegotiate the price once it was delivered? I always assumed that a custom ordered car is YOUR car, not the dealers, so the notion that they get to play hardball with you after it's delivered/change the price would be a breach of contract - particularly if they subsequently sell it for more money.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is this something dealers do with other special order cars? Like if I went in and ordered a custom mustang, could I expect to have to renegotiate the price once it was delivered? I always assumed that a custom ordered car is YOUR car, not the dealers, so the notion that they get to play hardball with you after it's delivered/change the price would be a breach of contract - particularly if they subsequently sell it for more money.
Thats what everyone assumed but the way Ford does things.....

It's why we will keep seeing these stories

OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It may be a $43k vehicle, but are we sure it didn't get to $50k after tax, title, delivery, and registration? Post is kinda vague and doesn't necessarily scream rip off to me.
At 7% sales tax which is kinda normal in Ohio it would be $46000. Any dealer that charges delivery is a scammer.

JBHillCountry

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Land Cruiser, 2022 F250, 2022 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad I deal with a great Ford dealer. Out of 15-20 vehicles I have purchased/ordered at my dealer, I have never signed anything till I sign the check in finance. Also, this mannequin I drove last week is the first vehicle I have ever test driven from them. At least 10 super duties and 5 Raptors so far purchased from them. All at invoice. Bronco on order is at invoice as is the now scheduled 21 Raptor.
Pays to have a dealer you can trust.

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TBH - I would have been in the same position as OP had my dealer not asked for additional money down before placing the order. Luckily their standard deposit agreement included a line item that they would not sell for over MSRP.

Never having custom ordered a car or ever even paid MSRP for a normal car (tesla excluded), I would have assumed that any customer order would be not to exceed the exact price on the DORA. This would have been a WRONG assumption.... all I am saying is that it's an easy mistake to make.

It's a good lesson for the next time i am dumb enough to special order a car and wait close to 2 years for it to show up. Whatever your relationship you think you have... the dealer does NOT have your best interest in mind.
Sponsored