DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Toyota has nothing for me unless they start doing an FJ again. Which I could see happening
Yes, an FJ with a removable top, would be great.
Sponsored

Reactions: Axe

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Toyota USA's YouTube channel released their 4runner vs Bronco comparison video. I was surprised how thorough they were describing the Bronco but of course left out some key features and generally stuck to the base model bronco for comparison. Toyota is doing all they can to drag out their decade old platform. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see a new 4runner next year after the jolt Bronco put into the industry.

I don't think too many people are cross shopping Bronco and 4-Runner. Sure they are both 4-wheel drive but they are very different in many ways. What Toyota (and Honda) should be worried about is the new Maverick! At its price point and MPG its aiming squarely at the Civic and Corolla market.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

All you need to know about the 4Runner is that the engine is a dog.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
All you need to know about the 4Runner is that the engine is a dog.
If by "dog" you mean something that won't win many races but will last 200K-plus miles, drives fine on the highway and has enough power to get you up whatever mountain you want to climb, I agree!

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If by "dog" you mean something that won't win many races but will last 200K-plus miles, drives fine on the highway and has enough power to get you up whatever mountain you want to climb, I agree!
Yes, it's a dog.

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Toyota sucks, but they can sell Kool-Aid.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey, remember when every toyota engine had head gasket failures the first few years they were designed? Yeah, me too.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, the engines can go 200K miles, but the frames can't. My 2006 4Runner with only 140K miles is so rotted that the trailing arm has dislodged from the frame, my gas tank is about to fall off (literally), as is my spare tire. There is an active class action law suit (like the frame recall on Tacomas) because the frames were outsourced to a 3rd party that failed to treat them for rust. I just corrsponded with Toyota corporate because my car is now unsafe and unfixable at 140K miles (body, engine, interiors are all in great shape). Toyota is telling me to go pound sand. And I've been driving nothing but 4Runners since 1996. They are now dead to me.
Ford Bronco Toyota publishes "All you need to know" 4Runner vs Bronco comparison video thumbnail_IMG_9018
Ford Bronco Toyota publishes "All you need to know" 4Runner vs Bronco comparison video thumbnail_IMG_9021
Ford Bronco Toyota publishes "All you need to know" 4Runner vs Bronco comparison video thumbnail_IMG_9022
Ford Bronco Toyota publishes "All you need to know" 4Runner vs Bronco comparison video thumbnail_IMG_9024

Last edited:

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a customer that had a tacoma leaf spring break on the freeway at 70MPH hauling nothing but air. I have never seen this on anything else. Toyota is great at sweeping problems under the rug. Their "reliable" engines are only reliable because they are decades old and customer guinea pigs have helped them sort the problems out. That's also why they underperform the rest of the segments. Anything they engineer will have as many issues as anything else in the first few years. Lets not even start in on their clear coat issues...

94Bravo

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150, 2014 Lexus IS350, 2008 Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I love the 4Runner. I owned the first uni-body version one. But I laugh at the fact that they are trying to get into the Bronco conversation because they haven't been mentioned in any way as a competitor.
2021 Bronco - Meet The All-New Bronco The Competition
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Toyota 4Runner
Stay tuned to eSourceBook for updates
taken from a PAGE,
2021 Bronco - Meet The All-New Bronco
So Ford considers the 4Runner competition.

Sponsored

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toyota USA's YouTube channel released their 4runner vs Bronco comparison video. I was surprised how thorough they were describing the Bronco but of course left out some key features and generally stuck to the base model bronco for comparison. Toyota is doing all they can to drag out their decade old platform. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see a new 4runner next year after the jolt Bronco put into the industry.

Personally, I think they'd be better of comparing the 4 runner to the Ford Explorer Forester edition. I don't consider the 4 runner in the same league as a Jeep or Bronco. If you want a true off road vehicle and are looking for features and qualities that make it so, then it isn't a 4 runner. Apparently Toyota feels threatened by the Bronco though.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Personally, I think they'd be better of comparing the 4 runner to the Ford Explorer Forester edition. I don't consider the 4 runner in the same league as a Jeep or Bronco. If you want a true off road vehicle and are looking for features and qualities that make it so, then it isn't a 4 runner. Apparently Toyota feels threatened by the Bronco though.
That's a silly comparison. Even the most off-road worthy Explorer is still a unibody without 4Lo, a rear locker, and less ground clearance. Go to any off-roading/overlanding expo and half the vehicles there are going to be 4Runners and Tacomas.

What "features and qualities" does a Trail or TRD 4Runner lack to meet your definition of a "true off road vehicle"? Body on frame? Check. 4Lo gearing? Check. Rear locker? Check.

Kudos to Ford for making it easy to get 35 inch tires from the factory. Front locker and sway bar disconnect are nice too. But put 35s on a 4Runner, and it will go just about anywhere you're going to go in a Bronco. Try that in an Explorer, and send us your trip report.

Last edited:

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, the engines can go 200K miles, but the frames can't. My 2006 4Runner with only 140K miles is so rotted that the trailing arm has dislodged from the frame, my gas tank is about to fall off (literally), as is my spare tire. There is an active class action law suit (like the frame recall on Tacomas) because the frames were outsourced to a 3rd party that failed to treat them for rust. I just corrsponded with Toyota corporate because my car is now unsafe and unfixable at 140K miles (body, engine, interiors are all in great shape). Toyota is telling me to go pound sand. And I've been driving nothing but 4Runners since 1996. They are now dead to me.
Ford Bronco Toyota publishes "All you need to know" 4Runner vs Bronco comparison video thumbnail_IMG_9024
Nissan Xterra same thing. Frame rusted out from underneath it...

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a silly comparison. Even the most off-road worthy Explorer is still a unibody without 4Lo, a rear locker, and less ground clearance. Go to any off-roading/overlanding expo and half the vehicles there are going to be 4Runners and Tacomas.

What "features and qualities" does a Trail or TRD 4Runner lack to meet your definition of a "true off road vehicle"? Body on frame? Check. 4Lo gearing? Check. Rear locker? Check.

Kudos to Ford for making it easy to get 35 inch tires from the factory. Front locker and sway bar disconnect are nice too. But put 35s on a 4Runner, and it will go just about anywhere you're going to go in a Bronco. Try that in an Explorer, and send us your trip report.
Hey look, there different strokes for different folks. I personally think the 4 runner is more mall crawler than off road vehicle. I believe the video in another forum on this site which compares the 4 runner, Jeep, and Bronco bares this out. But hey, if you like it then buy one. I’m not stopping you. The point I was making in the prior post was that the 4 runner is appointed similarly to the Explorer forester edition. As an example, who gives a crap about the leather seats and third row seating if your going over landing for the weekend yet Toyota makes it a point to highlight this as a difference. Their FJ was a much better comparison to a Jeep or Bronco and they abandoned it. So who are they really marketing to and for what purpose? I submit the 4 runner, while being a nice vehicle, is a collection of compromises if you really want to do hard core off roading.
Again, if you like it, I’m happy for you.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey look, there different strokes for different folks. I personally think the 4 runner is more mall crawler than off road vehicle. I believe the video in another forum on this site which compares the 4 runner, Jeep, and Bronco bares this out. But hey, if you like it then buy one. I’m not stopping you. The point I was making in the prior post was that the 4 runner is appointed similarly to the Explorer forester edition. As an example, who gives a crap about the leather seats and third row seating if your going over landing for the weekend yet Toyota makes it a point to highlight this as a difference. Their FJ was a much better comparison to a Jeep or Bronco and they abandoned it. So who are they really marketing to and for what purpose? I submit the 4 runner, while being a nice vehicle, is a collection of compromises if you really want to do hard core off roading.
Again, if you like it, I’m happy for you.
Sure, everyone has their own tastes. But you seem pretty committed to an opinion that you offer no support for, and I'm genuinely curious where you're coming from.

I'm not sure what an Explorer Forester is. Subaru Forester? Explorer Timberline? Either way, as a factual matter, a TRD 4Runner is not "appointed similarly" to either of those in any way relevant to this discussion. As I already pointed out, the 4Runner has a locking rear diff, 4Lo, and body on frame construction. The Explorer and Forester (along with all other CUVs) have none of that. Again I ask, what specifically does the 4Runner lack that would elevate it, in your opinion, to being a worthy off-road vehicle?

You undermine your own opinion when you cite the FJ Cruiser as worthy of comparison to a Wrangler or a Bronco. I think you're not aware that the 4Runner and the FJ Cruiser are virtually identical vehicles under the body styling. You can look that up if you don't believe me.

You describe the 4Runner as a "collection of compromises" -- okay, what specifically was compromised in your opinion? Can you name one or two things? The specific examples that you do offer are odd. My Landcruiser 70 had a third row. Are you saying that means it wasn't a true off-roader? What do leather seats have to do with anything?

Anyway, don't want to argue. I think the Bronco seems like a fun, super capable new vehicle, and I couldn't care less whether anyone buys a 4Runner. But objectively speaking, they are way more capable than you're giving them credit for.
Sponsored