Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Sounds cool, but... Are they actually active dampers??
So the truck gets suspension position data but what could it possibly use it for if they aren't "active"?
Sponsored

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It might just be a fancy way of saying progressive springs.

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Rather than progressive springs it’s the hydraulic fluid in the shock that gets firmer. This is good shock tech short of magnetic ride. Will slow for a smooth ride until pushed over rough ground.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Rather than progressive springs it’s the hydraulic fluid in the shock that gets firmer. This is good shock tech short of magnetic ride. Will slow for a smooth ride until pushed over rough ground.
But does Ford use straight rate springs with these and progressive rate springs on the other dampers?
I've been in some SUV's (cough-Chevy-cough) where it was obvious the springs had MASSIVE rate progression in them. Just horrendous.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds cool, but... Are they actually active dampers??
So the truck gets suspension position data but what could it possibly use it for if they aren't "active"?
Jumping.

It's not active, it's position "sensitive". They're just trying to fool you into thinking it's more special than saying "more than one hole".

Sponsored

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But does Ford use straight rate springs with these and progressive rate springs on the other dampers?
I've been in some SUV's (cough-Chevy-cough) where it was obvious the springs had MASSIVE rate progression in them. Just horrendous.
I can't speak for Ford but most of your off-road suspension like Fox, King and Bilstein use linear rate springs. Usually springs are matched around a shock and with Bilstein sourced coilovers like the 6112s I would suspect these would also be linear. I would prefer this myself because once we know the spring length and rates we can fine tune them for added lift and addition weight.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I can't speak for Ford but most of your off-road suspension like Fox, King and Bilstein use linear rate springs. Usually springs are matched around a shock and with Bilstein sourced coilovers like the 6112s I would suspect these would also be linear. I would prefer this myself because once we know the spring length and rates we can fine tune them for added lift and addition weight.
Looking the Bronco springs they do appear to be linear.
Ford Bronco Position sensing dampers.... Why?? FordBronco_parts_09 - Copy

Ford Bronco Position sensing dampers.... Why?? FordBronco_parts_03 - Copy

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another thing to remember is........

Ford did a lot of testing in Jonson Valley and I'm sure they re-valved or fine tuned the shocks a few times to get the balance right. and change in spring rate would change the "tune" of the shocks.

You will see this a lot on race vehicles that use coil overs because one can "tune" the shock, run it, change settings, run it, change again, etc. whereas the factory are what they are.

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had just enough wine to make me think I can intelligently contribute to this conversation.

From the two videos, it seems to me the Fox design is simpler and a lot more elegant, whereas the Bilstein version relies on extra bits at the top and bottoms, bits that could break/fail. Oftentimes, simpler is better.

Now, I'm totally talking out my back-side, and I have no real-world experience, but I did just watch those two videos above, sooooo I'm basically a PHD.
Sponsored