Sponsored

The accessory ready dash mount is trash!

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first time I try to use the dash mounting point and it comes loose. It's worse once you look behind the curtain. The 1/4-20 anchor is just floating on a piece of plastic that is attached with two small torx screws. The anchor itself is fastened with a course threaded castle nut, and no thread locker. I really expected this to be a solid mounting point. Seems like there is a lot of room for improvement here.

Thanks to @GrabberBlue for The Fix

Ford Bronco The accessory ready dash mount is trash! DF503B58-4D10-4BD0-9DB6-0C86D7F71B48

Ford Bronco The accessory ready dash mount is trash! A4994832-886A-4865-8C86-0F0C7B4FBFA1

Ford Bronco The accessory ready dash mount is trash! EA3C3741-3D39-43A2-BFAD-8D1C39CD584A
Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks easy enough to 3d print a new one with a brass threaded insert, thankfully. Hopefully the OEM part is cheap/quick to replace if breakage is common.

acnp2022

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The first time I try to use the dash mounting point and it comes loose. It's worse once you look behind the curtain. The 1/4-20 anchor is just floating on a piece of plastic that is attached with two small torx screws. The anchor itself is fastened with a course threaded castle nut, and no thread locker. I really expected this to be a solid mounting point. Seems like there is a lot of room for improvement here.

DF503B58-4D10-4BD0-9DB6-0C86D7F71B48.jpeg

A4994832-886A-4865-8C86-0F0C7B4FBFA1.jpeg

EA3C3741-3D39-43A2-BFAD-8D1C39CD584A.jpeg
it's probably more used just as a mounting point when using what they intended with the byod being spread out. I am guessing if you are justing using that point only that it will be garbage

Ford Bronco The accessory ready dash mount is trash! 1635171182707

OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks easy enough to 3d print a new one with a brass threaded insert, thankfully. Hopefully the OEM part is cheap/quick to replace if breakage is common.
Right. I can see that whole part being replaced with something much more robust, with various attachment points/options. At this point I think a flat surface for an adhesive mount would have been better.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ive been using mine for a gopro camera since aug,no problems at all(knock on wood),try using a more rugged mount plate i use a bow mount for mine(wider base)

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trash may be a bit of overkill when describing a phone mount point. Add Loctite, enjoy the rig until the aftermarket can catch up. As a Harley Owner, almost all things need Loctite... The adhesive ideas wouldn't make it past warm-up.

Jeep owners have decades on us in this aftermarket game. It will come. Of course, if you have CAD/CAM skills and a mill you might be able to be that guy that cashes out here. Solid Billet would be on point.

OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive been using mine for a gopro camera since aug,no problems at all(knock on wood),try using a more rugged mount plate i use a bow mount for mine(wider base)
It comes loose after screwing and unscrewing a few times. In my case I was just experimenting with a few mounting options. Never even got the camera attached.

OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trash may be a bit of overkill when describing a phone mount point. Add Loctite, enjoy the rig until the aftermarket can catch up. As a Harley Owner, almost all things need Loctite... The adhesive ideas wouldn't make it past warm-up.

Jeep owners have decades on us in this aftermarket game. It will come. Of course, if you have CAD/CAM skills and a mill you might be able to be that guy that cashes out here. Solid Billet would be on point.
Toys that break on Christmas morning are trash. And it needs to be called out. It's not unreasonable to expect more than this on a 60K vehicle.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yikes, @EIGHTLUG , do you have any good suggestions ahead of your BYOD rail arriving for those of us that ordered?

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

So is this just a matter of tightening the castle nut back down with Loctite, or am I missing something here? I plan to use this mount point, so really want to know. Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So is this just a matter of tightening the castle nut back down with Loctite, or am I missing something here? I plan to use this mount point, so really want to know. Thanks.
Yes. The fix is easy enough.

For me it's not so much that it came loose, it's the realization that this anchor point is no where near the load bearing capability that Ford teased us with.

Ford Bronco The accessory ready dash mount is trash! 4E08DEF7-13F2-4974-8885-6031217484AA

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

For me it's not so much that it came loose, it's the realization that this anchor point is no where near the load bearing capability that Ford teased us with.

Ford Bronco The accessory ready dash mount is trash! 4E08DEF7-13F2-4974-8885-6031217484AA
I think it'll be fine for the intended purpose of holding a small radio or cameras. I'm going to loctite mine right away just to be safe though. I am a little sad to see it's not mounted to something metal though. I think it'll be plenty strong once you use a rail that distributes the load a bit and braces against the dash on the corners. You could use some double sided tape on the bracing arms to help as well.

With that said, in an accident, items on your rail may become projectiles.

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You have yet to provide any proof that what Ford displayed won't work.

Also this is the same mount on the base 2 door bronco with no options. In other words it is a $30k vehicle accessory mount.

Lastly I don't believe that Ford ever meant for it to be used as an accessory mounting point. The early releases all showed the BYOD rail. Making the connection point a point with a permanent Loctite option very feasible. As an adaptable connection point permanent Loctite is no longer an option.

I agree with the others here this is an ant hill being made into a mountain. If this is your biggest complaint that you felt this was necessary to start an entire thread post on, Good Job Ford on the Bronco.

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yikes, @EIGHTLUG , do you have any good suggestions ahead of your BYOD rail arriving for those of us that ordered?
You know....

What if I just remade that plastic piece altogether in a billet part. You would have the two Torx fasteners that mounted it to the sub-dash and a solid tapped 1/4-20 mount hole in the center, like OEM. Just bombproof the whole thing. It would be aftermarket accessory agnostic, so, if you chose a different rail, other that the super saucy AR rails, it would still work.
Sponsored